Shooting the breeze Greyhound Gun Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 2nd December 2015, 05:27 AM
Reformed Bandit
Member of: Millride FTC

Hi Blue have you thought it might be time to change your gun?
When I was 5 I wanted to be like George Best
At 10 I wanted to be Nigel Mansell
At 40 I wanted to be like Tiger Woods
At 50 I want to be like Gilly
Just shows how life can kick you in the nads
Old 2nd December 2015, 07:49 AM
Member of: Millride F T C
Default spin

Hi mate think you might be right barrel nearly worn out after nearly tin of pellets
Old 2nd December 2015, 08:11 AM
Member of: Avon Hawks

Compared to others, my experiments on this matter have been different and a bit cursory.

I noticed excellent accuracy but massive wind drift on the very first LG100's, back in 2002. Borrowing a microscope, I rodded pellets through several 'barley twist' barrels and found severe damage to the pellets caused by the sharpness of the lands pulling pieces off the pellets and sometimes ripping the skirts.

Obviously the damage on a pellet accelerating to 780 fps would be different, but never the less the very sharp lands would be having an effect.

I managed to reduce a little the wind drift by working on the barrels to reduce the land sharpness, but the barrels were hard and I didn't want to get aggressive, as it is pretty easy to go too far and ruin a barrel.

The very first EV2's had a similar issue with the CZ barrels, which is the reason AA changed to WL barrels. I was supposed to be sent some 'rejected' barrels to experiment with, but the whole thing fizzled out in the end. Shame really, it would have been interesting to experiment.
"I'm your huckleberry, that's just my game"