Shooting the breeze Christchurch Gun Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 13th November 2015, 04:10 PM

Hi Thank you Mr Tench lol I thought the knee had to touch the ground in some cases the knee is a good 3 to 4 inches off the ground and nestling in their bean bag. I do appreciate that their is uneven ground and we are not all spring chickens lol
Old 18th November 2015, 07:16 PM
Member of: Lea Valley Air Gun Club

Originally Posted by beebop2000 View Post
I've been shooting HFT at Cambs (and once at LVAGC) for about a year now, attending when I can every 4 to 6 weeks and so have probably shot 10 or 11 comps. My scores quickly came up and have now plateaued at ~50. What I've realised though is that I pretty consistently miss the near and positional targets.

To try to correct this I've started practising positionals in the garden, with some good results (routinely placing 5 or 6 shots in a 15 mm circle at 25 yards). I've attended one HFT shoot since starting to practice, but failed miserably on positionals and near targets. Thinking back I think I just rushed them whereas in the garden all is calm, quiet, and collected. For the near targets, I aim to do the same but the problem seems to be parallax error and changing eye position. I thought a scope enhancer may help? Anyway, I'll let you know how I get on.

Has any one else hit a similar plateau?

All the best,
Depending on where your zero is,problems will occure at the first crossover point (15yds etc ) and how far off your shot is depends how accurate your distance estimation of the target is.
Get that right and range card points correct and you will come to terms with your karma and enlightenment will be yours 'young grass hopper'.
Not much margin for error on a small kill area..
HERX77 .
Fighter against the 'Dark Arts'
Dark keeps moving in on the day.
Steadily going downhill faster!

Last edited by herx77; 18th November 2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 19th November 2015, 09:24 AM
Member of: MAD

Originally Posted by Ceathreamhnan View Post
The point mentioned by Kev and Ian does make me think. If you read the rules strictly, you aren't allowed to rest the gun on your forearm for a supported kneeler, only on the hands and shoulder.
I suspect the 'common sense' rule may be wheeled in here ...
Yes, i agree that the rules are very clear on this and supporting your gun in your forearm for a supported kneeler isn't allowed as the rule are written. I used to support on my fore arm, then someone correctly pointed out the written rule to me so a changed to supporting with my hands ony but this is not as comfortable. Since then i have spoken to Gary Chillingworth over this exact rule ( chief UKAHFT marshal) as i was seeing other doing it still and felt i was putting myself at a disadvantage. I was told that resting on my forearm was ok ( as when it on your Arm or the back of your hand). So now i have gone back to supporting on my forearm for supported kneelers, which to me is clearly not what is written in the rules. I think this needs some official clarification and maybe a photo or two added to the Ukahft website rules page. I don't what to be accused of cheating but do want to compete on a level playing field with everybody following the same set of rule.
Neil Wakelin
Rhino enhanced HFT500
Rhino enhanced HW97k
Rhino enhanced EV2 Mk4