Shooting the breeze Greyhound Gun Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 10th October 2015, 09:20 PM
Default Goldstar SE

Its been out for a while now and I've not heard much more about it since the initial "avoiding wind" business. (Please don't bring this up again )
I have been offered a 2nd hand at a price to be seriously considered, and am tempted.
So questions:
Any problems with it? Even if they are work around able. Or just anything you may not like, have heard it called "toy gun" coz its short and light?! NP for me tbh
Recommended mods, adjustments etc , airgunners do seem to like to tinker
Anything else?
Could it be a good very amateur national FT rifle rather just HFT?
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11th October 2015, 06:34 AM
WHFTA World Champion 2016.

It is an excellent rifle for the money with far more features and adjustability than other comparably priced rifles. The sporter style pistol grip and overly shaped cheep piece are my main gripes with it, if it fits you and you can get along with these points you will be happy with it. They are not pellet fussy and as accurate as any decent rifle out of the box.
Shimming the action in the stock is an essential task that needs to be done though. to do this loosen the stock bolt and while holding both the end of the air res and barrel between finger and thumb nip the stock bolt back up, if you can feel the barrel and air res close up it needs another washer between the action and stock, when this is spaced right you wont feel the gap close up as you tighten the bolt but the action will be snug in the stock, too much shimming leaves the action loose in the stock with the bolt tight. Getting this right gives a consistent poi through the whole fill and it wont zero shift with temp or humidity changes. I have known people think they were having power issues as pellets hit lower as the pressure went down which was actually poi shift caused by the action to stock fit. Well worth spending the time to get this right!
HFT, for people with only 2 buttucks!

VooDoo TwoTwo The next chapter.
Old 11th October 2015, 06:59 AM
Member of: Avon Hawks

I have not had any POI shift with mine, which is from the first production run, but I will check it.

Likes: Trigger, accuracy, adjustability, robustness, butt pad (which is wonderful).

Dislikes: Silly small adjustment screws on the stock, which I mentioned in my review in Gun Mart.

Will it make a reasonable FT rifle.... No. That was my original reason to buy, I was looking to get back to FT and HFT and thought I may be able to use one rifle, but it is just too light, and sticking a big Nikko scope on top makes it top heavy and unstable.

But, the fix is pretty easy, Tench has already done it and I will be doing mine over the winter. You can get a 325mm air tube from Knibbs which is a straight screw on replacement, then by adding a moderator or barrel shroud of some sort you can increase the length to suit the air tube. This combination changes the weight and balance of the rifle.

Nick Jenkinson did this to the S400 about ten years ago and it was a very cheap way of getting a competitive rifle, the Beeza has the added advantage of a regulator.

I have been using mine for HFT, and considering I have not practiced anything like enough, when I eventually remember how to range by eye, I knock down lots of targets as in the field it is a very accurate and predictable rifle.

If you've been offered a good rifle at a sensible price, I'd say buy it, shoot it and modify it to suit your needs.
"I'm your huckleberry, that's just my game"
Old 11th October 2015, 09:39 AM
Dink ! ...****'
Member of: Emley Moor ftc

Ooo my fav topic lol...simon and neil have both answered everything u need to know....i honestly cant fault mine, its way more accurate than fits nice, holds noce,the trigger is a beaut..accuracy is defo on par with every rifle i have owned or shot before( sold my hft 500 to use the gs)... Shot count isnt amazing but more than enough for comps., but as simon says the longer air cylinder would address that straight say buy one and try one, oh and despite the no wind ******** still say, the rifle is more than capable of winning a national round..( just not in my hands lol )
AA S400 carbine in GNIB stock..hawke sidewinder
HW80k ..hawke panorama
Old 11th October 2015, 10:07 AM

Thank you all, just the kind of info I was looking for. Hadn't heard about the shimming before.
Looks like i'll be making a phone call in the morning.
Old 21st December 2015, 07:13 PM
Member of: Millride

I'm new to the sport and bought my Goldy in October. I hope to grow into my gun
I'm loving shooting FT at my local club. As a newbie I find the light weight helpful for standing shots but it's weighty enough for stable sitting shots.
I've maxed the hamster, cheek piece and butt is max length. I'm still working on the height having been given some scope heights this weekend- I'm still playing 😃
this is my first pcp so I'm not qualified to answer your question really, just wanted to say I'm so glad I went for mine.
Hubby on the other hand, is already starting 'a collection ' after buying his second gun today!
Old 21st December 2015, 09:22 PM

I own a Gold Star SE for approx. 6 months now, and share the good / bad points the others mentioned. Last weekend we had a day / night fun HFT shoot with bonus targets on 50 and 60 meters (not yards ) and the Gold Star picked them easily.

Accuracy wise it's very good, no problems there. The ridiculous small adjustment screws make it less suitable for FT I think, unless you fit aftermarket hamsters (but it has no UIT rail).
And although it looks small, it is not a small or too light a rifle at 3.5kg.
For HFT it is perfect, FT doable but not perfect.
Best regards,

From the Netherlands, please excuse grammar mistakes

AirArms FTP900 .177, AA S500 HFT & EV2 MK IV .177
Daystate Grand Prix .177 & Daystate Griffin SE .177
BSA Gold Star SE .177 & Ultra S/S .177