Shooting the breeze Greyhound Gun Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 20th September 2015, 09:35 PM
Member of: Wendover
Default What is illuminated rhetical

What is the best scope to buy for 150
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 20th September 2015, 09:51 PM
Steyr Convert
Member of: Emley Moor FTC

What are you going to use it for? I am presuming HFT/general target?

Illuminated reticle is when all or part of the crosshairs or ladder reticle is lit up by a switch on the scope.

You will get a lot more for your money second hand, and there a lot of good scopes for that kind of money for HFT/plinking/hunting. Bushnell, MTC, some of the higher spec Hawkes would be decent bets but scopes are very individual as everyones eyes are different. Best bet is to get along to a local club and look through as many as possible.
Generally the more you pay the better the glass quality. You should get reasonably good quality glass and specification for that money. Bushnell Legend or Hawke sidewinders second hand or a new Hawke Panorama are all in that budget. My advice would be go for 40mm front end not 50mm as the scope will be easier to mount on medium mount and clear the barrel.

If you are looking at Field target scopes thats a whole different world.

Last edited by DEAN C.; 20th September 2015 at 09:57 PM.
Old 20th September 2015, 09:55 PM
Member of: Wendover

Now the dark nights are rolling in Brian you'll have to ask one of the boys down the club to show you ..... To be honest I'd hazard a guess that 99% of all illuminated rets work .... However you'll struggle to find one along with a battery that hasn't worn out ... Both my vipers have been switched on once ... And then left on in the bag... To fizzle out

You still not found yourself a weapon of choice ???? Got to admit you've played it safe .... Most peeps I know would've been on their first or second bad choice by now

Old 21st September 2015, 05:54 AM
Member of: ETL / TEGC

I have a Sightron SIII 10-50 which I bought with the illuminated reticle. In eight months I haven't had to use it once as I could always easily see the reticle against the target.
However, yesterday I was at a wooded ground and a couple of the targets were silhouetted against sky and I had to use the illuminated centre dot to get the targets.

One use in all that time just shows that you might need it as a feature, or might not, but it was a life-saver yesterday so to me it is worth having for the odd time when it's useful.
Old 21st September 2015, 06:41 AM
Member of: Glevum, Parkstone, Nomads

Most use CR2032 cells. these are around 1.00 each in supermarkets, or 24 for 5.98 on Amazon!

Shop around!
Weihrauch HW100KT .177
Weihrauch HW98 V-Mach .177
Weihrauch HW80K .22
Weihrauch HW77K .177
Weihrauch HW45 "Silver Star" .177
Weihrauch HW35 .177
Daystate Mk.4 Panther .177
Air Arms FTP900 .177

Glevum Target & Sports Club, Gloucester.
Parkstone Gun Club, Poole
Nomads HFT