Shooting the breeze BASC Sponsor the BFTA  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 20th September 2015, 08:46 PM
Member of: Lea Valley Air Gun Club
Default Angled article in SundayExpress.

I've just been reading an article by Stuart Winter in the September 20th issue of the Sunday Express page 58 titled 'Lets get shot(sic) of sadists who shoot our pet cats!
It goes on to datail the armed assault on cats by air gunners , with input from BlueCross,and Cats protection spokes people,references to the dismal Scottish Air weapons and Licensing Act 2015 and implimentation in England according to their consultation and " Cat Manifesto".
Shock was expressed that over 18 an Air gun could be purchased without a disguise or police permission.Comparison was made to the American gun lobby and further restrictions here (the panacea to stop air guns getting into the hands of) "Sadists".
Similiar to what the pistol ban "failed" to do,and continues to do so.
I'm not sure how to get the article link online perhaps some of you are more adept.
No opportunity to give an educated counter response either.
HERX77 .
Fighter against the 'Dark Arts'
Dark keeps moving in on the day.
Steadily going downhill faster!

Last edited by herx77; 20th September 2015 at 09:06 PM.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 20th September 2015, 08:58 PM
Member of: Castle FT

I can post a link
Zenith Air Arms FTP 900 Leup Comp
Feinwerkbau 800 X Leup Comp
Old 20th September 2015, 09:06 PM
Member of: harriers field target
Default a pinch of salt

whilst the cat getting shot is a sad incident, any good journalist, and quite a few bad ones will tell you "never let the truth get in the way of a good story"
you require a licence to drive a car, plenty dont have the said ticket, and do so.
it was a story to fill a news devoid edition of a paper. cant quite imagine the editor standing up, banging the desk and shouting at his scribes "get me the cat story"
i'm not perfect, but I shoot FT, reality is this is pretty much the same thing!
Old 20th September 2015, 10:03 PM
WHFTA 2015 World Champion
Member of: M.A.D

Had a similar story this week of ducks being shot and decapitated near a local fishing lake , bodies thrown in an area used by local children,
last week it was 55 year old lady jogger beaten in same area for no reason ,
Some times you have to look at the bigger picture, local issues politics , cry for help from local communities
you will never stop these people causing us bad press, some may be kids with access to guns thatll regret what theyve done later in life , or not
If you banned air guns from sale , years on you would still hear the same , used to hear same stories on cross bows when they came into use!
Shame we never hear more positive things raised from our sport , theres always charity shoots going on , cant say ive ever seen this in the papers tho and thats dissapointing,

Maybe we need press champions from our shooting bodies BASC, BASA or others if we havent already got them ,
Apologies if we already have

FTP900 MTC connect,Welhamanium internals -sorted
HFT500, ACZ stock MTC connect
TX200 Mk3 CS1000 stock, hawke vantage sf , Nick G internals
Steyr ?, maybe , they cant all be wrong?
Old 20th September 2015, 10:29 PM

Some years back, when this idea of loads of cats being shot with airguns was pushed by the RSPCA, I did a survey of about ten veterinary practices down here in Devon. I asked them if they could tell me how often they had cats in for treatment, that had been shot with an air gun.

The information that came back showed that the average vet could expect to see such a case, twice during their working lives.

Two cases in forty years is two too many but it's hardly a sign of gratuitous cruelty.
Old 21st September 2015, 05:45 AM
Member of: ETL / TEGC

There was also a 'filler' story on the BBC breakfast news last week about 'gun ownership' and how a generic source warned that the 'lessons' from the Cumbria massacre haven't been learnt and how a similar incident could happen again.
Typical scaremongering rubbish that is actively promoted by the government to used to fill in news on a slow day, but amply illustrates the official stance on gun ownership in the UK which is already draconian in comparison to any other country.

On a slightly different tack for those interested in airgun licensing, my FAC has been on renewal since the beginning of August. Nothing new there except that all the paperwork had been in with the Police since early June; I phoned them a few weeks before the expiry date of my FAC as I was getting worried, to be informed that they 'might' get round to me by December and that a temporary ticket was on it's way to cover me until then.

So, add in an estimated 20 million air-guns to this licensing mess and they will be able to cope how?
Old 21st September 2015, 07:52 AM
Member of: purley chase
Default not only

its not only the kids with air guns....just look at the 40 year old football houligans that end up in court for fighting....what i am trying to say is that morons come in all ages.