Shooting the breeze Dowry Hill FTC  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 24th August 2015, 01:06 PM
Member of: Wendover ARC
Default Bringing an air rifle back from US to UK

Most people export air rifles from UK and want to get them to US as the Americans pay good money for the older guns (Venoms, JWs, classic Theobens etc.).

Has anyone brought an airgun back from USA to UK? Whats the best way of doing it?

I might be flying to US, would bringing it with me be an option? What sort of paperwork do I need?

The FT guys must have went over for the Worlds at some point? How did you transport your rifles?

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you!
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 25th August 2015, 10:04 AM

I haven't brought an air rifle from the USA, but generally it isn't too much issue.

In terms of the airline, check with them in advance as to their policy regarding transporting firearms (airguns will be treated as firearms in the eyes of the airline).

They are normally considered as sporting goods and may be eligible for a free baggage allowance.

An airline approved flight case will be required - the more durable it is the greater the likelihood of your gun surviving intact.

I don't know if you would experience any issue at the US end of things, but from a UK perspective, once your flight case has been recovered from the special baggage desk for you airline, you will need to go through the red channel to declare it - as long as it complies with current UK legislation there shouldn't be any problems.

Last time I came back to the UK with an air rifle, customs asked what it was. I told them air rifle compliant with 12ft.lbs limit - they had a quick look and I was on my way - quick and painless.
Old 25th August 2015, 10:11 AM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

You'll also need TSA approved locks on the case, and in the case of PCP you need to be able to demonstrate the cylinder is empty.

As Dale says, there is no paperwork required this side for them.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Old 25th August 2015, 01:59 PM

It's really straight forward. Just follow the guidelines of the airline you are using. If it is an American based airline, almost all of them just ask you to fill out a REd card at the check in counter which is a "Firearms Declaration" Just scratch through the word firearm and right air rifle.

In terms of inspection, it depends on the knucklehead who is at the counter. However, most of the time they just ask you to open the case and put the red card in. They may ask you to show them it is unloaded. I haven't had anyone ever ask me to show them there was no pressure in the cylinder, although they have the right to. I believe it's because they don't understand a PCP.

Paul Plauche from the USA
Old 25th August 2015, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. It looks similar to bringing a gun to/from Europe which I have done several times. It's nice to hear other people's opinions, especially those that have done it recently!
Old 21st September 2016, 08:35 AM
Default European Airlines who allow air rifles

Which airlines allow air rifles in Europe? I have a HW100 in Czech Republic and cannot get anyone to ship it back. I'm in Germany in November, so may have to drive and pick it up. Then fly back from Germany again.
Old 21st September 2016, 09:13 AM

Most 'national' airlines carry guns, BA definitely does and so does Polish LOT. Not sure about Lufthansa. The cheap airlines such as Wizz and Ryanair don't, but Easyjet does...
Old 21st September 2016, 09:27 AM

It looks like Czech Airlines will also carry firearms:

If you are driving through Germany, you have another issue, their airgun limit is 6ftlbs... and anything over that is classed as FAC, hence you'd need a permit to bring it to Germany.

Why don't you get it shipped? There are several Czech shops that sell to UK, Varga being one that ships to UK on regular basis.
Old 21st September 2016, 10:17 AM
Team Canada - Spring Team
Member of: CAFTA

I am from Canada and recently brought my TX to Portugal with me for the worlds, it was my first time travelling Internationally with a firearm.

A few things that come to mind;
No ammunition in the gun case (duh...) and no ammunition in carry-on
External case locks (mine were not TSA approved, I asked about this and was told I didn't require them, YMMV)
Trigger lock on the gun (I also put zip ties around the barrel/cocking lever to render it unusable, again)
Also good to have the serial number of the rifle in hand or memorized

I think as long as it looks secure and you have followed the airline specific guidelines you should have no issues. Honestly, I was a little worried having never done it before, but the whole process was very simple and easy...

Good luck,
There is no replacement for shot placement...