Shooting the breeze Valley Arms Sponsors of UKAHFT  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 8th August 2015, 10:41 AM

great info guys i might have a bash, im thinking of a scope ( not sure which one) and reparallax it, anyone know which ones are easy to do or are suitable, dont want to spend a lot until ive lots of practice under my belt (the ftp has eaten my savings),

Last edited by monty19; 8th August 2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 8th August 2015, 12:23 PM

10x mag is a favourite so you might just want to put your money into a good quality fixed mag scope, and not compromise any quality for the sake of getting a zoom facility.

If you are planning on using the divisions of the ret to assist with rangefinding then a ret with half mildots not just full mildots might be preferable.

Subaru, my club's present HFT course starts off with a 54 yarder and the target is a rat facing downhill at about 30 degrees. It is a pig to rangefind by conventional means; it's the first target so the shooter has had no trial easy shots to find the wind, and it's seldom a 2 on the card. Devious? Probably. But isn't that part of HFT? The last target is a 13mm reducer at about 13 yards, and the lane is at a different angle to the wind compared to all the previous lanes. That's not often a 2 on the card either. In between of course we have a load of gimmes................. (not!)
Old 8th August 2015, 01:02 PM
Member of: Furnace mill & day member at others

this is the ret I use now, ok it is fine but it works for me all the same.

I like the mtc scb ret, even the Hawke rets are ok too. but half mill dots is a must for me.

Rich I will have to visit your course one day as it sounds like fun, & I am only in this great sport of ours for some good old fun along with some great banter too & if I can best my PB then great .
sneaky for making peg 1 hard to start with but I like it ! plus having the last one too angled somewhat different can mess with your head at times,,,, . however the folks who set up F'mill do that on a few targets & it is fun to watch some folks really get worked up at times..... when the get a 2 or even a 0.

My rifles are =
PCP: Steyr lg110 hft 2014, HW100 SK ( back up & rainy day rifle )
Springer's: HW77 ( 1980's version ), HW35 KLS.