Shooting the breeze Christchurch Gun Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 23rd July 2015, 05:26 PM
WHFTA World Champion 2016.

There isn't a best zero distance for HFT. It should be chosen in conjunction with the scope height and pellet trajectory and to some extent the mag and reticle you have to make the targets you have the most difficulty with as easy as possible.

Just slap a scope on and shoot for a while to determine where your range finding strengths and weaknesses lie then choose a setup that helps you where you need the most help.

A very low scope and 20-25y zero will give you one aimpoint through all the 15mm kills but a steeply dropping pellet at longer range which spaces out the far aimpoints and requires good long distance range judgement.
If you have difficulty with the longer distances then a very high scope could give you a single aimpoint from 35-45y, well one that will be in all the kills that can be placed at those distances but your range judgement for the 15mm kills will need to be very accurate within +/- 1y on the closer ones to ensure you knock them over.

The actual zero distance doesn't really matter as long as you know the aimpoint for each distance, choosing one that falls on a round number and close to your px setting will ensure checking it is both easy and accurate.

2 setups both zero'd at 25y could have as much as half a mildot difference at 45y and several dots difference at 8y depending on scope mag and mount height.

So asking what is the best zero distance is a bit like asking what size shirt is best

My current setup is on a 15y zero
HFT, for people with only 2 buttucks!

VooDoo TwoTwo The next chapter.

Last edited by Tench; 23rd July 2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 24th July 2015, 07:56 AM

I totally agree with Simon.

My zero was probably a bit weird ... but not really.

I was pretty good at ranging accurately by eye up to 35 yards.

I used high mounts and at @ 9x 40 yards was just going blurry and 45 quite blurred. So that gave me some rangefinding at longer distances. The kills are also bigger at longer ranges.

I wanted to make sure I got the 15mm kills. So I zero'd my scope so that if I aimed just inside the bottom of a 15mm kill at 25 yards I hit centre of that 15mm kill. This actually gave a first zero of @ 17 yards and a second zero just over 35 yards.

I could still aim bang on at 35 yards. 40 yards was just inside top of kill and 45 yards was middle of the 30/30 ret.

30 yards aim between center and bottom of kill.

At 20 yards I was aiming bang on at the 15mm kills and I could pretty much do that down to @15 yards. All 15mm kills are prone. HFT prone at 15 yards I would hope to be basically pellet on top of pellet at this distance and wind isn't really a problem. So I could aim bang on down to 15 yards and accuracy would get me inside a 15mm kill. If I was sure it was 15 and not 17 I could aim between centre and top of the 15mm kill. If unsure ( but I'd be confident of being within a yard or so at these distances ) I could aim bang on from about 22 yards down to 15 yards. I can pretty much guess 22 yards very accurately and all my rangefinding was based on that.

At 13 yards I was at top of 15mm kills. If I remember right, a 15mm kill with my scope mag meant the kill just covered center to thick bar on the 30/30 ret. I think I set my mag so that that was the case. So again the mag wasn't a set number it was just set to give that measurement. So I could tell a 15mm kill at 13 yards and know to aim top of kill.

Below this you are into 20mm kills so aim top of kill for 12 and 11. At very close ranges the holdover with the high mounts was massive so I used to aim something like bottom bar of 30/30 centre of kill at 10 yards and bottom bar of 30/30 top of kill at 9 and 8 yards.

So there wasn't really a specific zero distance. Just an aim point that got me those 25 yard 15mm kills and then knowing all the other aim points at various distances.

That was with my gun and my scope/height and my pellets. A bit weird maybe but I didn't miss many due to range or aimpoints. I missed standers ( a lot ) and sideways due to wind ... and in all directions because I got the shot off badly.

Last edited by skires; 24th July 2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 24th July 2015, 09:06 AM
Lucky git

Yep...message to myself, do not speed read

My zero is 35 yards because (as has been said above) that zero suits my trajectory. I'm using the supplied mounts that came with the Viper and have done for the last 8 years plus. I think the supplied mounts would be described as medium in height,
Old 24th July 2015, 09:17 AM
Member of: Glevum, Parkstone, Nomads

Tench has got me thinking now....

One size does not fit all! I'll be tinkering on the range this weekend.
Weihrauch HW100KT .177
Weihrauch HW98 V-Mach .177
Weihrauch HW80K .22
Weihrauch HW77K .177
Weihrauch HW45 "Silver Star" .177
Weihrauch HW35 .177
Daystate Mk.4 Panther .177
Air Arms FTP900 .177

Glevum Target & Sports Club, Gloucester.
Parkstone Gun Club, Poole
Nomads HFT

Old 24th July 2015, 09:47 AM
Steyr Convert
Member of: Emley Moor FTC

"The actual zero distance doesn't really matter as long as you know the aimpoint for each distance" Quote by Tench

That says it all!

Everything is a compromise and your scope height is more important as Chris was referring to earlier.

I'm similar to Chris in that I use medium mounts to give a centre to centre distance of approximately 45/46mm.

I always use 30 yards zero though as it means I can shoot dead on from first zero at 16 yards to 33 yards usually with a pellet width high at 25 yards(where my PX tells me its perfectly clear).

In actual fact a 30 yard zero is probably the same as a 20 yard or 15/16/17 yard or 27 yard zero in most cases.

I can get 40 and 45 yards in the kill at the same time to hedge my bets on long shots, and 35 yards is 1/4 mildot under crosshairs. Most scopes on a 25 yard px will mean that you start to clear on the edge of the picture at 15 yards so you can judge shorter distances using that. I know that when my target is perfectly clear then its 25 yards and to aim a fraction low in the kill (using a very small objective scope might stop you doing this).
Keeps it simple for me and most shots are dead on crosshairs, unless its an Emley extreme comp !!

Same scope and mounts will give slightly different results on different guns even when at similar heights as I have just found out, but as long as you do your homework as Tench says, its easy!
Old 24th July 2015, 11:07 AM
Pellet Head !
Member of: Springfield

Great info thanks for a great read