Shooting the breeze Air Arms, World Class Air Rifles sponsors the British Field Target Association  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 10th July 2015, 06:47 AM
Member of: Purley Chase ftc
Default Phil who

Originally Posted by Winds of change View Post
Two words "Phil Taylor" left eye dominant right handed, 16 times world champion.....
Does he shoot hft or FT?
Old 10th July 2015, 08:34 AM
Member of: M.A.D

I am left handed and right eye dominant but have always shot left handed.
its funny that even now if I pick up a scope to look through it I still go to the right eye first.
I have to shoot with my right eye closed and when i tried shooting right handed my poi moved right and up by over 1".
If I started shooting right handed I would have nothing to moan about on hft courses !!

MAD for it.

Steyr LG 110 Gary Cane, Leupold 2.5-8x36 TMR
Member of the UYK, UYB, UYC, UYH & UYE club.

I would like to agree with you....but then we would both be wrong !!
Old 10th July 2015, 09:03 AM
WHFTA World Champion 2016.

My brother Ian discovered he was left eye dominant when he started shooting a couple of years ago, he couldn't shoot left handed so tried all manner of methods, closing his left eye, a pair of safety glasses with the left lens frosted so he could shoot both eyes open but force his brain to use the right eye. He used to have a head ache after every shoot but he has stuck with it and probably trained his brain to shift the bias a little as he is finding it a bit easier these days and his scores are reflecting that.

So try telling your brain you are choosing which eye to use rather than the numskulls dictating which one you use! unless of course you can shoot the other hand, that is not something I could do though!
HFT, for people with only 2 buttucks!

VooDoo TwoTwo The next chapter.
Old 10th July 2015, 09:13 AM
Steyr Convert
Member of: Emley Moor FTC

Originally Posted by Ratinator View Post
Does he shoot hft or FT?
Phil taylor.Thought he was the darts player. I suppose the theory could apply to darts as well.

Thankfully I am right handed right eyed, its a good job as my left eye is rubbish.

Last edited by DEAN C.; 10th July 2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10th July 2015, 09:19 AM
Member of: Emley Moor FTC

This a very interesting thread, I shot clays competitively an being left eye dominant and right handed I just shut my left eye once I had picked the target up but I never thought it would effect rifle shooters because I assumed that like me, most would close or squint there left eye. Another thing to be careful of is that eye dominance can shift with age or trauma so its worth checking from time to time
Old 10th July 2015, 09:23 AM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Left eye dominant with right handed. Switching just doesn't work for me, i'm too settled into shooting right handed... but it's not important what works for me or anyone else, it's what works for you.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Old 10th July 2015, 09:24 AM

I'm right handed and right eyed but have a dodgy right eye so shoot left handed.
It felt really uncomfortable to start with but I've got used to it now, at least the shooting part, it still feels really awkward to even sit down for a left handed shot.
Air Arms S410F .177, AGS 4-16x50, AAF 4.52
Air Arms S400 MPR FT .177, MTC Viper 4-16x50, AAF 4.52, Cloverleaf service
BSA R10 .177, MTC Viper 10x44, JSB Exact 4.53, MWSS200 moderator, UKNeil adjustable cheek riser
Weihrauch HW45
Old 10th July 2015, 11:59 AM
Member of: Redfearns & the UBC

We're all different.

I'm left handed, right eye dominant, shoot right handed. However I've always naturally picked up a rifle right handed anyway so it has never been something I thought about until recent years. I also do archery with a right handed bow.

On the other hand I'm completely incapable of writing with my right hand, but I naturally use a computer mouse in the right hand. In cricket at school I used to bat right handed but bowl left handed and I use the cue in pool, snooker etc left handed. If I was chopping down a tree (not something I've ever done) I'd want to hold the axe right handed.

I can shoot a pistol with either hand and I seem to be able to use left eye/left hand but I'm much better right handed.

Hell no wonder I'm so screwed up!
Old 10th July 2015, 02:27 PM
Member of: CTC

I'm left handed and my dominant eye is the right and shoot with both eyes open and consider it a plus with close sights because since the dominant eye is outside the scope I can find the targets easily and can track wind changes when shooting.

At the beginning it was difficult to manage in what eye I should kept my attention but now my brain do it easily and I even shoot with 20x, I only have problems with very dark targets.
Old 10th July 2015, 02:50 PM

Right handed, left eye dominant.

Tried shooting left hand but it never 'felt' comfortable. However I can still shoot left handed which many years ago when they had some opposite handed lanes did make any difference to me. Can also play pool left handed.

Did some shotgunning a few years ago and with a few mates we were doing left to right and right to left crossers. They only noticed by chance that I was shooting right handed for the right to left clays and left handed for the others. Never knew anything different at the time and usually got 30-50% of the left to right clays.