Shooting the breeze Greyhound Gun Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 25th June 2015, 05:03 PM
Member of: Lea Valley Air Gun Club

Originally Posted by what barn door View Post

Vinny, as you might recall I have a newish ftp900 which generally shoots very well. However I didn't have such a great time with it last Sunday, I seemed to be finding wind even when I couldn't see any grass or leaf movement.

A quick test last night showed that I was shooting about 7mm to the right and very slightly up. Now it could easily have been ok on the Sunday and I was just rubbish that day, it happens. But maybe I should have checked a bit more on the pre comp plink? Another lesson learned.

But are you saying that there needs to be clearance between the stock and the cylinder as this can cause the POI to move?

Also I might want to go down the route of taking off the current barrel shrouds and float the barrel. If I do can I ask two questions,

1, Doesn't fitting the 'O' rings then connect the new carbon shroud to the barrel again?

2. Where would be the best place to get a carbon shroud/tube IYO?

Bought one from easy components,1 meter, slight pitting at one end(dust got in wrap) could do deal? with unused section.If barrel sorted on 900 again,I might use clean end,maybe!
Fighter against the 'Dark Arts'
Dark keeps moving in on the day.
Steadily going downhill faster!
Old 25th June 2015, 06:12 PM
Default Barrel not blued

Originally Posted by herx77 View Post
With plenty of time at home after ankle op I decided finally to impliment the mods vince suggeted would improve the gun (hopefully).
With the stripper, nickle tubes?, off and figure 8 removed the barrel was exposed. Cleaning some grease off it I found pin head rust over 20%, the blueing was a bit sub standard to shoot free floating without shroud;had a distint brown tinge.
Under the front stripper locating grub screw hole, below the barrel there are two holes like the locators that screws fix the breech end of barrel with.
Question is: for those who have removed the bits and pieces. Does the blueing on yours compare to that on the 400,510's or is a bit tatty;and do they have the locating holes on both ends of barrel.
I have lots of time to sort this out while ankle mends itself,but would like your input,Vinces too if he's on forum.
HERX77 .
This is only my opinion but I believe the reason why we see shrouded guns is that blueing a barrel has to be done carefully ensuring that the inside of the barrel doesn't get blued as this has a negative effect on accuracy. So the easiest answer for manufacturers is not bluing the barrel and fitting a shroud, hence your barrel will be rusted.

When barrels are hot blued the barrel ends are plugged to stop fluid ingress, the transfer port is left open as the hot process may distort the barrel.

Any other views?
Old 25th June 2015, 07:19 PM
Member of: Avon Hawks

The FTP barrel is blued, the shroud is there just to make it look pretty.
"I'm your huckleberry, that's just my game"