Shooting the breeze Best fittings sponsors UKAHFT  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 26th May 2015, 12:54 PM
Default Pellet Catcher

I have recently got back into shooting, currently pistol (co2 umarex type) but soon rifle again too. We have a reasonable back garden but nothing like the space I have had in the past so my mind started toying with pellet catchers....... Plinking is great but I need to make sure my pellets stay in the garden. I also fancy using an arduino prototype board to make it a bit interesting. So I started thinking some more (already been warned about doing this by the long haired general) and my fledgling design would be... 1 metre wide (same as steel sheet) and about 30 cm high. this would enable a holder for a few paper targets so the general and myself can both shoot at the same time. Or I could use the board to control 5 turning targets, or use the board to turn the targets one at a time at random. or by unbolting the end plates (did I not mention those earlier?) to swap out turning targets for spinning or drop downs. My next idea was to bolt 2 units together, omitting the end plates where they join, and having 10 turners, all together or random. the ultimate would be 3 bolted together to produce a close approximation of an issf 10m moving target. Finally on the lip at the bottom line up cans and shoot em off!
Anybody else have any thoughts? I admit its not gonna be cheap, but if it helps safety its worth it and if it makes shooting more fun its got to be a good idea!
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 26th May 2015, 02:19 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

If you can catch and empty the lead easily it would be good, plus the ability for it to stand off the ground.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Old 26th May 2015, 02:26 PM
Default Pellet catcher

emptying lead out easily would be a bi-product since I will be making it out of steel (would love stainless but way too expensive!!!) and to stop it going rusty and looking foul I am thinking of getting it hot dip galvanised, so would need holes to stop molten zinc collecting, net result hole to tip spent lead out!
My intention was to put brackets on it so I could hang it on the front of my shed, legs wouldn't be hard to make!