Shooting the breeze Rivers West, Sponsors of UKAHFT  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 12th June 2015, 08:07 PM
Member of: - Collectors Club -

Originally Posted by what barn door View Post
Yeah good point Rob, I just thought there was a problem with eu suppliers not wishing to post to the uk!

They are entitled to post to UK. Per EEC Free Trade Agreement.

Its another kettle of fish, if the Euro shop policy has changed because XYZ brand, has "co-erced" "leaned on" the Euro Retailer - by the mysterious "Black Forces" (Its public knowledge from an educational stand point - from BA, or MBA classes regarding free trade agreement , cartels, collusion, price fixing the "price channel" etc..and so known, we all see it in films, and TV series).

Good idea ...but no need...your suggestion on van coming back to Uk loaded with goodies..and as RobF says..its implying you are "trading"....which raise HMRC eyebrows on issues if you are personnally paying the right taxes on yer profits ...

What could be "dodgy" are the terms of "distribution" imposed on local country shop by: agents, manufacturer, and/or body, and or/ combo of all 3 ..sounds familiar ?

...which, BTW, are meaningless, on a EEC Free Trade Country wide basis and un-enforceable...unless they get HO involved under pretext- which is why someone there , better get on the ball, and wisen up pronto and come to same conclusion about "protectionisms" of one's turf & ......

However, if said Euro shop owner has taped , email, or fax evidence, of collected UK citizens names from Euro shops by XYZ, all of this goes against multiple LAWS. - thats bloody marvellous ! (as said Euro shop owners are interviewed in presence of lawyers as they make their deposition as "witness")

That's why the good old USA fines $$$ Millions on cartels...and people go to jail.

Do the UK authorities have the teeth or appetite for a ...purge ? (call it an "enema purge" of said characters...) or the EEC Cartel Commission ? should EITHER be presented with evidence Its abundantly clear , it will be a wonderful sight to see Mizz KARMA do her job... and we, the public get "normal pricing" in line with Europe.

THIS , says it all >>>

Last edited by JasonGoldsmith66; 12th June 2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12th June 2015, 10:24 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

No because there's no law that says prices have to match. All that the law says is that if an item is legal to purchase in a country then another EU country that is allowed to sell cannot discriminate against selling to that other country. The customer is then free to make their choice.

At the moment I haven't seen an example of a clearly legal within product being held back from the UK market despite free availability within the EU. Who has?
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Old 12th June 2015, 10:41 PM
Member of: Ex-RCO ATC and SCC

There is another factor creating problems though:
The courier firms. I don't know how traders post airguns but I have not been able to find one who will carry air rifles internationally from GB. The Post office theoretically export air pistols to the appropriate countries up to 2 Kg but not anything heavier. ParcelArse just returned an HW77 damaged and refused to even refund the 65 postage to Portugal.
Quite amazing that they can magically deliver air rifles FROM Europe without any problems though, the %#@ts!

As for EU airgun shops selling to GB customers. I am sure that GTA and AMTA and the like are all keen for UK laws to prohibit the selling of air-rifles/pistols unless face to face and registered by an RFD.
Right now, British shops are apparently stopped (or charged extortionately) from exporting air-weapons to Europe by the carriers (and of course their own overpricing).
The whole situation is one big Clusterfukc created by cadres of inept penpushers.

Last edited by AlsoFishes; 12th June 2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 13th June 2015, 01:58 AM
Member of: Meon Valley Airgun Club MVAC

Just as an example of price difference, I have just ordered a Walther Aluminium air cylinder from Gremany. Price including delivery 147 (ordered Thursday being delivered Saturday) the Official UK Agent wanted 200 + p&p
now don't get me wrong, 150 is a lot of money for aluminium tube, a pressure gauge and a brass valve, but it gose to show just how much can be saved.
I'm not criticising the Importer because I don't know what their overheads are and as I'm self employed I know what I need to make on each job to make a profit,.
I've seen on here and other forums how people are happy to have a dig at RFD's because they are more expensive than a dealer in Europe, but that only seems to be with buying foreign made rifles. How many people buy BSA or Air Arms air rifles from Germany or Holland?
Cutting out the middle man (importer) has to make it cheaper, just think who much more you could save if you went direct to the manufacturer.

Just as a side note, back in 90's it was cheaper to buy a Triumph motorbike from a dealership in France and ride it home than get one direct from the factory here in England

Steyr Hunter HFT/ HW 100 barrel + s111 & SS buttplate. HW100Kt+ SWFA ss 10x42......Shooting HFT for MVAC.

Last edited by mike; 13th June 2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 13th June 2015, 07:42 AM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Same was true of land rovers form Holland. The EU legislation kicked in when car companies stopped giving the option of right hand drive abroad.

I think distributors and shops need to understand that if they don't compete on price then they need to add value. But apart from the rifles themselves apart from a little additional cost and time there's barely any difference between returning parts to a UK dealer or an EU dealer. I feel sorry for those stuck the other side of a UK distributor that adds a margin that makes adding and profit at the point of sale even worse.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep