Shooting the breeze Dowry Hill FTC  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 5th March 2015, 02:58 PM
pellet placement tech,
Member of: Bedlay Airgun Club
Default HFT rifle choice

Looking for help again guys,
In the near future I will be looking to purchase a new HFT rifle with a budget of about 1000.
I have in mind either an Airarms HFT 500 or the new BSA goldstar se. I have had a few Airarms rifles in the past but like the idea of the Goldstar having a hamster and regulater as standard.
any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 5th March 2015, 03:23 PM
Aspiring to mediocrity
Member of: MEMBER OF M.A.D

Both the HFT 500 and Goldstar are new rifles, the HFT500 has had good results so far and even though it is not regulated the knock open valve is very consistent. Pete Sparks has been using one and has has quite a few wins.

The Goldstar has just been released and so far I have not heard of any issues.

Personal the AA would be the gun for me as it is proven, I would also look at a HW100 a Mpr or second hand Steyr.
Somehow I made TEAM ENGLAND 2012 and 2013

Illiterate writer for AirGunner

The real Kung Foo Panda.
Old 5th March 2015, 03:55 PM
Member of: Dartmoor Marksmen

You could get a very nice Mk3 pro target with some good glass for that budget as well.

Very under rated 500 rifle in my opinion.

Kind Regards

FTP900 +Sightron S111 10-50 x 55
AA Pro Target in FWB FP70 stock + MTC Mamba lite
Daystate Airwolf + Bushnell Elite 6500

" life is about the memories we hold and not the things that we own"

Old 5th March 2015, 04:11 PM
Barn door? Where?
Member of: Cambridge

So, the Goldstar is about 50 cheaper and includes a hamster, which will cost you an extra 95 on the Air Arms, making it about 150 more expensive in total. I would hope that you could discuss pricing with the retailer and trim things a bit closer back towards the BSA. So, not a huge amount in it.
  • I have no direct experience with the Goldstar, but I do have with the HFT 500, and I can report that the first time I shot it in competition I got my best ever score (as a % of the top score), and I'm generally doing better with it than I have before.
  • Furthermore power delivery is incredibly consistent - fill to 190 BAR and it is on its sweet spot straight away and you'll get at least 70 good shots. I have chrono'd mine at 150 BAR and found a variation of 6.6fps over a string of 10 shots, just 0.84% variation! Who needs a regulator??
  • I'd just say that you should follow Air Arms recommendation and clean the barrel every 250 shots
Old 5th March 2015, 05:05 PM

The bsa gold star also has a multi shot option which is handy if you wanted to use it for plinking/ hunting and also has a 1/2'' unf screwcut barrel if you wanted to fit a silencer

The regulator work's perfect bty no reg creep and in 177 mine is giving me 70+ regulated shot's

very happy with mine

atb john.
BSA GOLDSTAR SE 177-vortex viper pst
HW97K .177
Old 5th March 2015, 05:21 PM
Aspiring to mediocrity
Member of: MEMBER OF M.A.D

If you need a multi shot option, then the ultimate sporter is a good choice.
Somehow I made TEAM ENGLAND 2012 and 2013

Illiterate writer for AirGunner

The real Kung Foo Panda.
Old 8th March 2015, 08:52 PM
Member of: Castle... when i've got 20 quid.

I pondered over the same thing for a while aswell but decided to go for the Air Arms....Been shooting it for a couple of weeks now & can't really fault it yet .... Fits me like a glove & the balance is just right for me. Mine has a variation of around 20 fps over 90 shots with an average output of 768 fps ( jsb exacts ). First 50 running at around 763 fps average from 190 bar down to 150 bar.....50 to 90 ran at around 773 average and still had 130 bar left in the cylinder !
I shot against a Goldstar today & the bloke didn't seem too impressed ! Maybe down to the shooter & rain on his pellets ?
My advice mate..........Buy the one you want & F**k what anyone else tells you !

Last edited by grim18542010; 8th March 2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 9th March 2015, 06:52 AM
Default Ripley

Seemingly out of fashion consider Ripley Ar5s specifically made for your requirements, since I have had mine my scores have rocketed.
Old 9th March 2015, 07:04 AM
Member of: tondu /quarry

I am sure if you visited your local club there will be many members glad to let you have a look at their gun. At least you get to have a play with one ( whichever takes you fancy) before you have to part with your hard earned.
As mentioned earlier in the thread " glass" remember you also have to take that into account for budgeting.
Old 9th March 2015, 07:44 AM
itchy trigger finger
Member of: springfield and mad

I would say glass is more important than the gun . most air rifles are as good as the next one in terms of accuracy, although gun fit and a half decent trigger is a must .
The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.