Shooting the breeze Valley Arms Sponsors of UKAHFT  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Scene > News and Results

News and Results The latest shooting news...

Old 2nd March 2015, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by stillwater View Post
I would like to consider doing something similar to tennis or cricket, where each shooter is allowed one call per round if they call a target and it is faulty then they keep the call, if the target is not faulty then they lose there call and cannot call another target unless there is an obvious fault like broken strings debris in front of kills and such.
Might stop the people that see a paddle wobble and automatically assume they have hit it dead centre,

It would just need the Marshall to sign any scorecard where a call was made and make a note as to if it was faulty or not.
Or we don't check any targets marshals make a note of any suspect targets and these are checked at the end of the comp.
any targets deemed faulty are then pulled from the comp.
I may trial something like this during this years Kibby opens to see how it goes.

I haven't shot the series so forgive me ...

... but If you watch the cricket now ... teams will use the 'Review', if they have one left, at the end of an innings ( Last Wicket ), just in case there was a 'No Ball' bowled, or the ball may have been missing the stumps ( LBW ). In the days before 'Reviews' players would just accept that it was hitting the stumps and would walk off ( You didn't have any choice ).

I wonder if you give shooters one 'Review' each, then if they still have that left towards the end of a course and they miss one, they will use the review just in case they get lucky and the marshall c0cks up on the target check and gives them the 2 points. So could that mean that everyone uses their 'Review' and if you have 90 shooters, you could potentially end up with 90 'Reviews' and 90 stoppages? Not everyone will do that but I can see the last few targets taking a long time whilst the keen shooters are all using up their 'Review', in case they get lucky.

Last edited by skires; 2nd March 2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 2nd March 2015, 08:01 AM
itchy trigger finger
Member of: springfield and mad

well done James for series win and the lucky win for the biscuits
The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.
Old 2nd March 2015, 08:03 AM

Thats a good suggestion but would then require someone to maintain a register of all called targets and it could become a logistical nightmare for that person. Its all too easy for someone to say I got that and disrupt everyone else's concentration (not especially the marshalls) and think that a polite "thank you" after watching the marshall battle their way through brambles, obstacles and rivers to check a perfectly good target makes it all ok. There has to be some positive deterrent and the thought of losing another point would be such a deterrent. If at the end of the shoot the target was found to be faulty then the scores could be adjusted accordingly. If we don't do something soon then the negative impact could result in numbers declining and the reluctance of people volunteering to marshall such events where un necessary target calls are prevalent.
Steyr LG110 FT - Leupold mk 4 2-8 x 36
V-Glided HW97K - MTC Mamba Lite
Ripley AR5s - MTC Connect
Old 2nd March 2015, 10:51 AM
Member of: Dunfermline / New Caledonian

Hi was going to post last night when I arrived home at 10.30 PM after a 6 and a half hour drive
What a fantastic series and well worth traveling down from Edinburgh to shoot in
Massive thankyou to all the sponsers DAYSTATE & SOLWARE for their support the raffle prizes have been exceptionale and the Daystate MK4 Prize was without doubt the best looking mk4 I've ever seen and I'm gutted I never won it
Thanks also to all the guys I've shot with in the series, all absolute gentlemen and a credit to the sport
Excellent venues with challenging courses well done ALL involved also well done and thank you to Greg Hensman who puts a tremendous effort in organising the series, along with the rest of the Kibby Crew and Kathy for the scores
So we can have a fun day shoot the courses and moan about the ones we missed lol
Well done to all the Trophy Winners well deserved
Thanks to Simon & Mick my shooting partners yesterday, despite the wheels falling off the cart on the last 6 (missed last 6 in a row) targets I'm happy to end the series with a top ten place and finish in 9th overall
Thanks All the best eveyone
Gordon Burns
Dunfermline Air Gun Club/New Caledonian
Steyr LG.100 Vortex viper
Steyr LG.100 Leupold mk4 TMR
Air Arms TX200 Bushnell Elite
HW 45 Pistol
HW 40 Pistol
Old 2nd March 2015, 11:41 AM
Member of: Rivington Riflemen

Originally Posted by tugg View Post
well done James for series win and the lucky win for the biscuits
Cheers Colin.

I had a couple of issues with both of my guns the last two rounds but pulled it out on a difficult day yesterday. I wouldn't have had it any other way!

The double chocolate ones were especially nice. More to come this evening.

Well done top at MAD. Hopefully they will pair us up this year at some point.

Best regards
You can never shoot enough pellets

Last edited by James0807; 7th March 2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 4th March 2015, 11:45 AM
Member of: Nomads HFT

Thanks to everyone involved in this series
I'm in my first year of shooting and this series had given some much needed experience and I've got to have a laugh with people I've not met before
Old 7th March 2015, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Ramshead View Post
Well done the winners, and isn't bomber the jammiest git ever
You do realise it was a daystate he won Dave? He did say his shed door will never swing shut in the wind again though
Old 7th March 2015, 03:22 PM
Member of: Misfits, Kibworth misfits

It was a lovely rifle he won, FairPlay to him and a big thanks to Daystate for sponsoring the series and giving very generously.
Old 7th March 2015, 03:50 PM
UKAHFT Champion 2010 & 11
Member of: Rivington Riflemen
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Knockedover View Post
You do realise it was a daystate he won Dave? He did say his shed door will never swing shut in the wind again though
you sir, are a very bad man
BASC Team England HFT 2010,11,12,13,14,15,16 &17