Shooting the breeze Christchurch Gun Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 7th February 2015, 06:24 AM
Member of: Dartmoor Marksmen

Good luck with your purchase - we moan when it drops below 10 degrees here in the West Country. Hope you have an early thaw!
Kind Regards

FTP900 +Sightron S111 10-50 x 55
AA Pro Target in FWB FP70 stock + MTC Mamba lite
Daystate Airwolf + Bushnell Elite 6500

" life is about the memories we hold and not the things that we own"

Old 10th February 2015, 05:45 PM

I took the FTP out today....well outside as in the front porch. It's amazing how rusty one gets after not shooting for a month or two.
It was only -11 c today so I thought I'd give it a try. After ten pellets, my fingers started to freeze. So much so that when I thought I had loaded a pellet into the breach....I hadn't. I wish that the breach wasn't so loose. The pellets fell back out because I failed to push them in all the way.

One the plus side, the falling snow made wind allowance a bit easier. Fall straight down wind Falling? horizontally ...wind at 10 mph.

I set my target up at 30 yds and was soon punching pellets through the same hole. Switching to the air gun benchrest target, my wind allowance errors showed my lack of experience in judging the wind.

After 50 shots, I could barely feel the trigger so I packed it in. I'll have the house to myself tomorrow, so I'll do some shooting inside.

This rifle is almost intimidating, in that any miss is ONLY MY FAULT.

Very pleased with the rifle. I can't wait to get the correct type of scope on her and shoot it outside in milder conditions.

Old 11th February 2015, 11:30 AM
Member of: ETL / TEGC

Originally Posted by Grenade View Post
Hi Guys.

I looking at purchasing an AA FTP 900. What are the pros and cons of this target rifle. I asked this same question in the AAOC forum and it was suggested that you are the guys to ask.
Living in Canada, my choices are a bit limited. Send a rifle back to the manufacturer is going to be a royal PIA because of our FAC laws. Anything producing over 500 FPS has to be registered under our equivalent of your FAC.
I have looked at the Daystate MK 4 Target but as that's now disco'd it's out. The HM1000 is and option, but I would have to spend gobs of money to make it fit like the FTP. The Styer is out of my budget and The Fienwerkebau even more so. The Anschutz and Walther are difficult to get and service here.

Unfortunately, the nearest FT or HFT shooting club is a 4 hour drive away. So dropping in to try different rifles is not a possibility. Forthunately for me, I live out in the country and can shoot to my hearts' content in the front or back yard. I'm building a field target range in the woods out back

I want to get involved in FT shooting and competitions, so the FTP 900 seems to be the only choice on the horizon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As you're Canada you should get the export model of the FTP which doesn't have the same resrictions i.e. AT that the UK model has.
I got the AT taken off mine as from the shop it was producing 720fps which is way too low for competitive FT shooting, I now have it running at a consistent 775fps and it is very, very accurate at this velocity with AA Fields.

I've had most of the FT guns over the years and this is one of the best off the shelf rifles out there in my opinion as long as you can adjust the velocity to fine-tune accuracy with a particular pellet.

As with most products there are always people with an axe to grind but there are always teething problems that once sorted produce a mature product and this is what we have with the FTP a year after release.

Your figure of 500fps for being non-fac is that a typo as that seems extremely low for an air rifle?
Old 13th February 2015, 04:07 AM

Nope, no typo. Even my FWB 300 required a FAC to purchase. Air pistols that go over 500 fps are classified as a restricted weapon( same as a S&W 44 mag). Different license for that too. The only thing exempt from this rule is flintlock long guns.

But, as a kid, I didn't find my BSA Meteor Super at 600 fps much of a hindrance. I must have killed hundreds of crows, starlings etc. without any problems. I made some incredible shots with that air rifle. I still have it, though it needs new springs and washers/seals .

According to the paper work, that came with my's set up for an average velocity of 780 fps with a 12 fps spread for 100 shots. The power is adjustable, though I probably need to get a special tool for the adjustment screw. It has two holes, similar to what you would find in a high end shotgun with bushed firing pins.

I tried it out this Wednesday. Shot a few groups at 30 yards. Best one was so small that a pellet wouldn't fall through the hole. I was -12 outside,wind plus snow. the snow helped me compensate a bit for the wind. I was only able to last for about 40 shots before my fingers got too cold to feel the pellets. I wish the chamber was a bit tighter as the pellets would just fall out because my numb fingers couldn't push them in all the way.

It has a definite preference for AA Fields 8.4 gr 4.51mm.

No more shooting outside for a while as the temperature has dropped to -23c.

I noticed that if I shoot without the hampster attached, I get a blast of air with each shot. I was told that this was the excess air simply escaping. I that correct?

Old 16th February 2015, 09:09 AM

Congrats with your purchase Junaid! AGS is a great shop to deal with, Travis really tries to support FT in Canada.

Burlington's indoor matches are March 8th (pistol FT) , April 19th (rifle FT) and May 10th (rifle FT) - then we begin our outdoor season in Port Colborne May 30th! Can't wait to see this fine rifle of your in person.
CAFTA Governor
CDN Field Target