Shooting the breeze FT Review  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 24th January 2015, 01:45 PM
Member of: The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT

Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post

The fact that a better shooter than me shoots a Steyr and I keep chasing his coat tails is another matter.
Can't think who that is Dean?
Rick Ardern. RIP mate, never ever forgotten!

Currently in stock........

Steyr LG100 x2, Ripley AR5S x3, hw77 x2, hw80 x2, hw100, hw97, hw98, Walther Dommie, Walther LGV, Stoeger x20s .22, Daystate mk4 in a custom laminate stock, Diana mod 50 + Gamo compact & Röhm twinmaster pistols

Old 24th January 2015, 02:27 PM

I have an S200 which cost me £175, fitted with a £200 MTC scope and although I have not yet won any comps, I have come very close on several occasions. Every time out however, I do finish above Steyr's and similar top end guns. Been shooting HFT 18 months or so now and until the gun is below my ability then why spend money? If the MPR in the Ginb was mine, swapping would not even cross my mind.
If you can't fix it with a big hammer, your hammer aint big enough....

Air Arms S200 Tench Reg, Tilly's Custom Stock, MTC 3-12x24
Old 24th January 2015, 02:39 PM
UKAHFT Champion 2010 & 11
Member of: Rivington Riflemen
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MickyFinn View Post
AA mpr's & ev2's, BSA's & HW's occasionally win nationals even the odd Daystate (but mk3 not mk4 & probably never a mk5/pulsar ). James & Tony M are pretty handy with his their TM1000 too & there's the slow, steady invasion of Impact guns creeping in from down south. I've had LOTS of guns (& more importantly scopes) & got my best scores with a 9 year old mpr with a $200 scope. BUT I only shoot for fun not to win, my Steyr didn't improve my scores one bit! The really good shooters seem to favour Steyr+ walther products for the trigger (but I maybe wrong)?
A bog standard Daystate MK4 has won a national series, I should know

EV2 are hardly 2nd division compared to steyr, for some reason EV's arent as popular in HFT as steyr which just might count for the apparent steyr edge. Imho, give me a tidy EV or Pro Target over a steyr for ease of use and reliability any day of the week.
BASC Team England HFT 2010,11,12,13,14,15,16 &17
Old 24th January 2015, 03:14 PM

That is my MPR I sold the lightstream on Friday so have an old hawks sr6 scope on it just now
So its this MPR or a Steyr or walther lg300 alutec
Or stick with what I have got
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14217898478392.jpg (65.5 KB, 70 views)
Old 24th January 2015, 03:36 PM

I personally believe that Steyr has an important plus, is the best rifle in terms of maintenance and improvement. Is so easy to track and fix any issue on it's performance that the shooter always have time to solve it. So, you can have the rifle in perfect conditions the most of the time. That makes it a great contender.
Old 24th January 2015, 03:50 PM
Member of: New Caledonian ARC

Davy, to be honest mate, you have never gave a combo a decent run! the rifles you have had, no doubt have been as accurate as each other. many have had adjustable stocks and good triggers.

You can jump about from one gun to the next, one scope to another, and never see improvement. stick with a gun and get your technique nailed with it.

I have mulled over upgrading this year, but have decided against it. determined to whip some *** with my s400 this year. the rifle is more than capable. Wind estimation and lack of practice was my downfall last year. Gonnae try and rectify that this year. A new expensive rifle wouldn't have made an iota of a difference on my scores, because bar the odd flyer, my misses were my fault. Bottom line, theres a saying regarding workmen and tools
Old 24th January 2015, 04:49 PM

Take note of what Rob says; you don't have to have top end gear to do very well. In my view it's more important to put the money into the right scope, for HFT and maybe even more for FT.

Different discipline I know, but our club top two competitors put in very similar scores at bench rest. One has a Walther Dominator and the other has a standard S400 pre-anti tamper action housed in a home-made stock made from aluminium channel and box section.

Our top FT shooter has a MPR and a 400, and if the truth be told he gets better scores with the 400.

We've got about a dozen members who shoot indoor 20 yard standing Lightweight Sport Rifle and the best average is between 95 and 96 ex 100 which places him in the top 20 or so in the country, using a 2002 model S410 and a Simmons Aetec scope. Some of the other top guys who shoot this discipline with 22LR rimfires spend huge amounts of money; a month or two ago one showed me his new titanium trigger blade that alone cost £300.
Old 24th January 2015, 05:20 PM
WHFTA World Champion 2016.

There has been some very good advice in this thread, don't ignore it.
What I would add is stick the SR6 on your MPR and get out and shoot hft with it.
That scope will be far better for hft than the light stream would have been. After maybe a year or 2 you will have arrived at a point where you will know what your strengths and weaknesses are, where you drop most of your points etc. At that time you can then concentrate your equipment and setup to give you the help you need in the areas you most need it.
Eg, scope height, a low scope can make the 15mm's easy with a single aimpoint straight through them, a high scope will reduce the chance of poor long range estimation causing a high or low miss. So scope height can offer a lot of help where you are weakest. But until you have shot for a year or so you wont know where your strengths and weaknesses lie, so get the SR6 on and get out shooting and maybe experiment with a high and low scope setup to see which you score better with.
There have been many victories with both MPR's and SR6's, neither can be dissed for this game!
HFT, for people with only 2 buttucks!

VooDoo TwoTwo The next chapter.
Old 24th January 2015, 05:55 PM

Simply a high end rifle or scope will make no difference if you do not have the knowledge of how that rifle performs ie what is the rifles sweet spot ie what pressure do you fill it too.

Also what pellet does your rifle like and how consistent is your rifle if you can produce a good group at 45 yards than nothing wrong with the rifle at all.

Scope is the same get to know your scope ie the reticule of your scope and where your aim points on that reticule also how to get rid of parallax with your scope. Also use scope for ranging plus other methods .

Practice your weaknesses ie standing kneeeling etc

You have been shooting HFT for a couple of years get to know all this stuff then scores will get better.

Short answer NO A HIGH END RIFLE will not get you the scores you want without the knowledge behind it.

There are plenty of people who shoot steyrs and walthers and all the other top end rifles who get poor results due to poor knowledge of thier kit and how that kit works.

Nick Grant Greg Big Rob know thier kit inside out Some people blame thier rifle or scope when really it is the shooter at fault.
Old 24th January 2015, 06:39 PM
version 2.0
Member of: Castle

This has been said , and should be disregarded because I don't shoot hft and in not really any good at ft
But for the love of god and all things holy don't change a single thing and don't look at anyone else's gear just practice a lot .

And before you all thought I had grown up

GROW A BEARD , it makes you into a wizard
walther lg300 dominator titanium gemini ajp shiny things leupold 40x comp

filthy zenith ev2 lannyman stock leup 40 mega

The goal you set is the goal you get
Ripd 2015

if in doubt choke em out !