Shooting the breeze Wendover ARC  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 22nd December 2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob 2705 View Post
...So do you think that by just changing to a different batch I could go from 10mm edge to edge groups, to 25mm groups?
Easily I'm afraid . A recent batch of JSB Express I bought were terrible in three rifles I tested them with. At 25 yards I was struggling to get sub 25mm 5 shot groups .
In one rifle (S410) they were ok.

Returning to my remaining EE and favourite Exacts saw a return to tight groups with the other rifles.

I always try and keep at least one tin of proven pellets back to cross check against, that way you have hopefully removed one variable.
Old 22nd December 2014, 12:27 PM

Perfect thanks all, I was hoping it was - as my 97 was lovely and accurate before and the only thing I've changed is the pellets. The fliers are really bugging me so I was hoping it was the pellets if I'm honest, as I was running out of ideas!

Head size is still the same, I did double check!

Looks look ive got some batch testing to do then...!
Old 22nd December 2014, 11:58 PM

As said 100's of times the batches wont measure whats stated on the lid 95% of the time, ignore. They will all come in 4.47/4.48 regardless.

Have had real bad batches over the years took me 5 years to find something presentable.
Good batch straight from tin .22 size hole at 55, bad batch in excess of 8" at 47 yards.
Old 23rd December 2014, 12:16 AM

Different batches of express (or any pellet for that matter) make a big difference Jimbob. I have a mega batch from 2010 and have yet to find anything better. Totally consistent and predictable.

Batches I tested from 2012 and 2013 were particularly bad in terms of producing fliers. 2012 were the worse and actually had me thinking that they were a mix of batches. Couldn't get them to group at all.

As has been said many times before, test a batch thoroughly before you buy and when you find the right one buy as many as you can afford. It is always good to have a reference batch that you can compare with.

What the batch number of the one you are having problems with? I may have also tested it.

Trig
Old 23rd December 2014, 02:17 AM
My Empire of Dirt

Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob 2705 View Post

Head size is still the same, I did double check!
Head size stated on tins is a nonsense. Doesn't matter if it says 51,52,53 they'll in the majority be under that and under 4.49. Which I why I ended up testing sizing to 4.48 because it was the only size that marked all the heads all the way around the edge.

Some rifles liked it. Some didn't.

As per others, weight and size and even chrono strings don't seem to reveal the best grouping batch. The only way of finding them is to buy a few and spend some time on paper down range testing.

I've never got a bad batch to perform as well as a good one even with sizing weighing and other playing with pellets.
Old 23rd December 2014, 09:54 AM

Smile

As per others, weight and size and even chrono strings don't seem to reveal the best grouping batch. The only way of finding them is to buy a few and spend some time on paper down range testing.

I've never got a bad batch to perform as well as a good one even with sizing weighing and other playing with pellets.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more Rob.

Trig
Old 23rd December 2014, 10:34 AM
Lucky git

Totally agree with the above and I've even found that different batches, although grouping the same, have a slightly different POI. I have 2 batches that group really well, batch 34 and batch 22. There was nothing between them in group sizes but the batch 34 were 5 mm lower at 45 yards......no real probs for the FT lads but could make the difference between a split or a kill in HFT.

I tend to find that my Steyr will spit the odd shot at 1 0 clock when it doesn't like a batch or if the barrel is getting a bit dirty.
Old 23rd December 2014, 11:15 AM
Allowed in Sales

Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

I have a tin of 4.51's and a tin of 4.52's here - the 4.51's are tight in the barrel, but the 4.52's will fall out of the breach if I hold the gun up. This isn't just the odd pellet either, it's every pellet I've tried from both batches.

Just an observation that backs up what Rob says about ignoring the head size on the tin.
Old 23rd December 2014, 11:18 AM
Never has been banned from sales

Member of: Nelson & Nomads airgun club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerman View Post
Different batches of express (or any pellet for that matter) make a big difference Jimbob. I have a mega batch from 2010 and have yet to find anything better. Totally consistent and predictable.

Batches I tested from 2012 and 2013 were particularly bad in terms of producing fliers. 2012 were the worse and actually had me thinking that they were a mix of batches. Couldn't get them to group at all.

Trig
Interesting, two of the best batches of Express I've ever used and seen are from 2012.
I have 10 sleeves of a mega batch from 2012, used them at the Euros this year and Tool has the other batch. They are so good he sells half tins for 12 a pop!
Old 23rd December 2014, 11:33 AM
I Love HFT

Ugh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post
I have a tin of 4.51's and a tin of 4.52's here - the 4.51's are tight in the barrel, but the 4.52's will fall out of the breach if I hold the gun up. This isn't just the odd pellet either, it's every pellet I've tried from both batches.

Just an observation that backs up what Rob says about ignoring the head size on the tin.
That's interesting Bri.

I have a Zenith, probe load, which loves 4.51s and shoots like a shot gun with anything else, except Crossman Prem's.

More or less.