Shooting the breeze BASC Sponsor the BFTA  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 23rd November 2014, 03:47 PM
Default Steyr LG110

My first post so go easy on me.

I have recently got back in to shooting after a few years out and enjoying it so far. I am hoping to get into the FT and HFT scene and looking at a rifle.
I jumped in feet first and bought a Daystate Wolverine .177 but since having a few shots have taken a shine to the Steyr LG110.

I have been reading a few threads on here and most are about issues with them.

Do they give much trouble and are they worth the ?

Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 23rd November 2014, 06:13 PM

I've got an lg100, which is pretty much the same thing.

Firstly, any rifle can have problems. An advantage of getting a steyr is that a lot of the top shots and tinkerers have had, or still have them. They are also quite an well established design (ie old).
Therefore the knowledge to keeping them running well is at your fingertips on this very forum.

I had a problem on my one with a leak from the transfer port, it was actually really easy to solve.

Its the most consistent rifle I've ever owned, or even ever heard about! But not the most accurate. Having said that its perfectly accurate enough, just a tad behind an s400 I used to own which is exceptional.

They are (when set up correctly) so dead to shoot you can see the pellet in flight more often than many other rifles. This is a major plus, its like shooting tracer pellets.

They are easy to buy different furniture for and can be very adjustable.

Now, having said all that I dont shoot my one much I'm on a bit of a springer trip at the moment. Next year I may well shoot ukhft with my steyr, now that I've set it up and adjusted the weight and balance how I like with stick on weights. It looks kind of crap but gets the job done, it was way to light weight for me as standard.
Old 23rd November 2014, 06:35 PM
Member of: anston MASSIVE
Default steyr

Hi chap ,, I had a EV2 for about a year .1st time I saw a steyr I just had to have one , got lg110 about 5 month's ago and it's amazing wish I'd got one sooner ,,, best thing is to try one b4 you get one :-)
Old 23rd November 2014, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I take a bit to get used to a rifle or have so far. Will have to keep my eye out.

Thanks again
Old 23rd November 2014, 09:53 PM

Hi I have had a steyr lg110 for over 2 years from new only issue I have had is with the cocking bearings which seem to be a weak spot of the rifle. Saying that I have shot 1000s and 1000s of pellets and has been a better rifle and more reliable than most I have seen in the club and on the circuit. Also there is a lot of steyrs around because the top shops sell them or can get serviced very easy.

Only Hazard is buying second hand if you do not know the owner and you also do not know the rifle there are lot of good guys out there who know what they are doing when servicing rifles also there is a few guys who don't.
Old 23rd November 2014, 10:34 PM
Share the Love
Member of: Misfits, Australia OMT

I have a Steyr HFT 2014 version since July this year. It is without doubt the best rifle I have ever had the pleasure to shoot. If fits me like a glove (Which in my opinion is very important)

There are official Steyr videos on You Tube that cover most technical/servicing that you might want to do by yourself.
Alternatively there are lots of very knowledgeable people on STB who can and will help out.

Old 24th November 2014, 04:45 AM

I have had two LG100's...lovely rifle, dead to shoot and classy!

Down side imo, if you are going to shoot HFT, you are going to be stripping it down a lot...they don't like muck!..

With me, being a 'no mat shooter' it didn't work, mud and Steyr's aren't a great combo..
(saying that, they are easy to strip!)
Old 24th November 2014, 10:45 AM
Lucky git

I've shot Steyr's for approx 10 years now and can sort out most problems...even down to reg level. You have to remember that they are a 10m rifle designed for indoor shooting so a few simple things will help to keep one running sweet. Never bully the cocking lever if it starts to grab as it will rapidly get worse, using your fingers to push back the breech helps a lot. Also carry the rifle around in a cheapy gunbag when shooting as this prevents the ingress of dust and crap.

Steyr's can be menstrual as can many other rifles but they are simple to strip, clean and service and the items that can cause problems (o rings,firing valve,firing valve spring and hammer spring) can be got for approx 40 quid. If the cocking lever is grabbing then adjustment of the block or barrel position can help and if still grabs then replacememnt of the roller and cocking lever should be done at the same time. I normally just drill (2.5mm) out the roller bearing as snapped allen keys are normal due to the hi strength thread lock used (Green 648)...can be done totally in less than 30 mins and approx 60 quid for parts.

I would say the ease of stripping is what makes the Steyr so popular...however that can also be a problem as heavy handed tinkerers can do untold damage.

Last edited by chrisc; 24th November 2014 at 01:23 PM.