Shooting the breeze Christchurch Gun Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 5th November 2014, 08:03 PM
Member of: Dartmoor Marksmen
Default With all the recent AA issues FTP, now looks like HFT -What is your best AA ever?

Looking at recent posts re new AA kit, FTP, HFT etc thinking of starting a poll are PT's the best AA rifle ever?

I have had 9 AA rifles over the last year - all worked well no leaks, no failures and no returns - FTP 900 beautiful design and looks shot well (Part ex for a Daystate platy and my Gary Cane EV2 stock), 2x Ultimate sporters (one now sold, one given to son for 21st birthday), S510 superlite (my first rifle - now sold) my Pro target which will never be sold (its a love thing). 1x EV2 mk3 (swapped for - I cant remember!) and an EV2 Mk4 again a keeper in its v nice GC stock! 2 x TX 200's one .22 standard and one in .177 Carbine think that is it!

Never tried any of the older ones, 300, 400 series or NJR100 etc, but nearly picked up a Shamal recently just for the hell of it.

Ready to be shot down but for me has to be the pro target - although the FTP was as sexy as hell!
Kind Regards

FTP900 +Sightron S111 10-50 x 55
AA Pro Target in FWB FP70 stock + MTC Mamba lite
Daystate Airwolf + Bushnell Elite 6500

" life is about the memories we hold and not the things that we own"

Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 5th November 2014, 08:30 PM
I Love HFT

I own an NJR100 which is an excellent air rifle, if on the heavy side, with a superb trigger and very reliable, Air Arms have steadily gone downhill ever since.

I've owned a couple of Protargets and an EV2 which didn't come close for quality or reliability.

As for their latest offering, give it a couple of years and they may get that something like.
Less is more.

More or less.
Old 5th November 2014, 10:39 PM
Member of: Castle ftc

The best AirArms ive ever owned is my Ev2 mk4, I bought it new from kibworth september 2010, its still going 4 years on its never leaked, anti tamper still fitted its the best gun ive ever owned its a "GILLY" destroyer....when im not hung over..!
EV2mk4-Nikko nato mk1
Pro-Target-Nikko nato mk3
TX200mk3-Bushnell elite.
Old 6th November 2014, 07:06 AM
Nursing A Semi !!
Member of: rivi riflemen

for me its my rn10 . had it for years and its great. I recently had it upgraded with a CZ barrel and carbine cylinder and its deadly accurate, more accurate than my dommie and steyr. generally a joy to shoot.
I had an s400 for a long time too and couldnt fault that, never had any issues with it and it too was a very accurate rifle. regret selling it
Seven eights are fifty six !
Old 6th November 2014, 07:48 AM
Boingers forever.
Member of: Far Coley

If you look on the FT circuit ( don't know about the HFT circuit) there are still lots of Pro- Targets being used in various guises, some of them are 20 years old or more.
The Pope HW97 V-Mach. Gary Cane Laminate stock. Leupold Competition 40 mag Mildot.
The Smiler. Walther LGU. WE Laminate stock. Leupold Competition.
The Dark Destroyer. TX200 MK3. Leupold Competition 40 mag.
Pro-Sport. Warren Edwards Blue Laminate stock. Bushy 8-32x40.
Old 6th November 2014, 08:04 AM

Mainly on the hft circuit in Scotland its FTPs EV2s and S400s and Ultimate sporters in air arms. With a lot of steyrs and walthers aswell
Old 6th November 2014, 08:26 AM
Dink ! ...****'
Member of: Emley Moor ftc

Not got loads of experience , but I've had a couple of s400's that were spot on, an ev2 mk4 that's was and still is doing the business' and now an hft500, that on first impressions is gonna be a belter
AA S400 carbine in GNIB stock..hawke sidewinder
HW80k ..hawke panorama
Old 6th November 2014, 09:28 AM
Steyr Convert
Member of: Emley Moor FTC

Are you forgetting that the Pro Target had serious reg issues when that came out?

I own an NJR100, GML400, GML410, ProTarget Carbine, my MPR and now an EV2 Mk4 as well.
Oh and my Pro Sport which shoots better than I can do it justice with.
I have had a Shamal FT and it was very accurate, but not as well designed as the NJR 100,especially the barrel fixing IMHO.

Mmmm, The NJR was fantastic but long, and very dated with heavy looking parts internally.

If you could change the PT to side lever it would be perfect.

The new HFT500 is probably going to be as good as any MPR for HFT but it will be personal choice on the balance of the gun to each individual, mainly due to the longer cylinder and better standard stock.

There are quite a few PT's running in the HFT circuit and it was only 2012 when Dave Semmens mopped up the NEFTA hunter with one very convincingly, I was miles behind him second with my MPR.

I dont think one is better than the other for HFT. I dont like any of the standard stocks on anything AA have brought out, but at least the HFT is useable, and handles better than you would expect looking at it.
The FTP is nice to handle but probably needs more time on the circuits to be developed a bit more, as with most new guns,and slightly too heavy for me, I like my HFT guns around 9 1/2 to 10lb.

I still love my MPR though.

Last edited by DEAN C.; 6th November 2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 6th November 2014, 09:30 AM

For me the best AA rifles:

NJR100 - when reg is sorted.

RN10/Pro-Target - with MK3 regulator.

TX200 Mk1/ Mk2

Old 6th November 2014, 11:02 AM
Member of: redfern

mk1 RN10
mpr cs1000 stock
S410TDR btas
MK2/3 tx200 22
mk3 tx200 177 CS1000 STOCK
Think am an air arms fan,just need to learn to shoot now.