Shooting the breeze Central Southern Field Target Association  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 4th November 2014, 06:55 PM
Default new to ft

Hi I'm new to the ft scene I have got a njr100 with a nikko nighteater scope 6-24x56. The rifle is superb but the scope is a big weak point due to no range finding abilities so I'm looking for a entry level scope that can range find to suit my budget of around 250.Ive been advised on what scopes work well with the njr. Due to it being a old rifle of NJR100 <(forum member).
So the question is can a entry level scope do the job or should I wait until I can afford a leup ,big nikko etc. Thanks
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 4th November 2014, 07:03 PM

I had an NJR100 for a few years in the early part of this century. For most of the time it had a Custom Shop scope on top, which I changed for a big Nikko. I sold the NJR to get a mark 1 EV2 and how I wish I had kept it.

There will be Falcon T50 coming up for sale from my club in a week or so; the price is going to be around 250 which is competitive, if that would suit.

Last edited by rich; 4th November 2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 4th November 2014, 07:38 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Custom shop or Deben 10-50 are well worth a look in that price range. The latter is very over looked, but Simon Ayers uses one, and with 2 2nd places in the worlds and a european championship in the bag as well as a grading % that's in the high 90's, i'd say for the 300 mark it could be all you need.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Old 4th November 2014, 08:04 PM

So is a t50 a accurate range finder? And is 50 mag too much? Would the t35 be a better buy?
Old 4th November 2014, 08:33 PM

I have both. The T35 is a fixed 35x mag and not everybody can handle that, especially with standing and to a lesser extent kneeling targets. Optically it is better than the T50 which is perhaps no surprise as it's easier to make a fixed mag scope. But many folk like to zoom back to say 20x mag to take the shot as they get a better view of what the wind is doing to the grass etc near to the target.

The T50 has a mildot ret. The T35 has a plain crosshair with very small centre spot. Many folk will prefer the mildot to help with working out wind allowance etc.

I like the T50 but it pays not to use it on 50mag I feel. The image goes a bit flat and there's more contrast if you just back off to 40x or 45x. I use the same rig for bench rest and FT, and for that purpose the T35 is the better bet.
Old 4th November 2014, 10:13 PM
Member of: carisbrooke rangers
Default Remember

You have to remember that the NJR is a HEAVY rifle , so the scope you get should be light . if you can find a GOOD custom shop it will do the job . if you don't pay to much for it ( between 150 to 200 ) it could be a good buy . personally i would save up and get a GOOD lupe . if young and good eye's . a MK4 in 32 or 35 mag . if older a Comp X in 35 or 40 mag ( light scope ) and you can keep that scope for a good long time as you progress , you can get a 20+50 lupe for around that sort of money . A good scope is a keeper and a pleasure to use . a bad one is a PAIN . bit like the pieman ??? HOLLY

PS i was told when i started , buy the best scope you can afford . if you cannot see it , you cannot hit it .
" Be your self , everybody else is taken "
Old 4th November 2014, 10:58 PM
Because I`m AWESIME !!
Member of: Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree

Get to 650 and a x35 mk4 is the answer.

or 450 and a x32 mk4.
BFTA Grading Q's to;
sorry wont answer Bfta q's on forums, Cant keep track of replies etc!
BFTA updates on

REV26 Ostler Ev2 & x45 comp awaiting a Gary Cane Stock!
Beast Priest Ostler Ev2 & x45 prem ret comp in Warren Edwards stock
If you want the best, Ostler is the man
Pump your Fish, Little or Large
MFTA visitors World championship - Arms dealer 97, Awesime 94, Acid Hands 85
Old 5th November 2014, 07:03 AM
Nursing A Semi !!
Member of: rivi riflemen

This would be ideal for you. I have used this scope before and know its good for rangefinding and comes with everything you need
Seven eights are fifty six !
Old 5th November 2014, 07:30 AM
Member of: North Oxon, Deddington and District RRC
Default scopes

Over the last 7 or 8 years i've tried many of the scopes that are around your budget point (except the Falcons) and here's are my 2p worth:

Firstly, i need to caveat that i'm very short sighted (my eyes are -7.0) and I normally wear specs for shooting, this may have influenced my findings.
Secondly, you need to figure out if weight is a considerable factor for you as this will inform your choice. Please have in mind weight can be useful if you're physically capable. Some trial and error will be required here.
Thirdly, quality variation occurs within production runs - i can't say where my scopes fell/fall on the quality distribution curve.

Prices are my guess only, condition, extras etc will affect....

-Bushnell 8-32 (~300 used) - light, front PA, ranged well but I found hard work with my cr@p eyes - especially dark target
-Burris 8-32RA (~300 used) - light; front PA; found harder to consistently range than Bushnell above.
-Big Nikko Mk3 (~500? - bought new many yrs ago) - Heavy; side PA; super at ranging; mine required close focus adaptor (CFA) under 11yds for 15mm kills; failed on me, warranty replacement had quality issues; mine showed 2 temp-shift points 5C and 25C.
-Weaver T36 (~275 used) - very light; front PA; similar to Bushnell 8-32 for ranging; requires CFA under 17yds
-Leup Comp 40x (~775 used) - light-ish; side PA; good ranging but I found hard work with my eyes; mine required CFA under 10yd; it showed 2 temp shift points ~8C and ~20C
-Deben NightTech 10-50 (~300 used) - Heavy; side PA; very good at ranging; no need for CFA; 1 temp shift at 10C; very long so mounting onto action tricky with some rifles.

I'm loving my Deben. It's doesn't seem to trip me up like other scopes, both in terms of compatibility with my eyes and temp shifts - and it's stonking value. If looking for one be careful which version you go for, I understand the Mil-pro badged ones are not so good.
A Big Nikko (mk1 or 2) or old BSA 10-50 would be similar s.

Scope preference is a very subjective thing, but 300 should get you something competitive -
Just off the top of my noggin I can think of 5 mega shots who use scopes of around the 300 mark.

Hope that's of some use to you.