Shooting the breeze BASC - The British Association for Shooting and Conservation  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Scene > News and Results

News and Results The latest shooting news...

Old 5th September 2014, 03:44 AM
SWEFTA FT Champion 2006
Member of: Mendip Air Gun Club, East Devon FTC, Avon Hawks FTC.

I'm so gutted for all who have travelled so far to be confronted with problems like that.

Just can't believe that the targets are failing at such an early stage, but warnings were given in advance about the reliability of Gammo's.

What else can one say except "KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON" and Good Luck to all.

Thanks for the prompt updates Brian
AA Field Target Team 2007~2011
East Devon FTC - SWEFTA Club Champions 2006/2007/2008/2009/2010 & 2013/2014/2015
Old 5th September 2014, 04:05 AM
Member of: Quarry Rifles

They have abandoned today's shoot
Steyr LG100 barley twist March F 3-24 FML-1
Steyr LG110 challenge March X 5-50 MTR3
Steyr LG110 HFT 2014 big Nikko MK3
Air wolf bushnell 6-24 mil-dot
spare scopes Bushnell 8/32 Leupold 20/50
Old 5th September 2014, 04:16 AM
Never has been banned from sales
Member of: Nelson & Nomads airgun club

So sad, so very, very sad indeed.
They were warned about the reliability of the targets well over a year ago however NZ with their vast experience knew better.
He who never made a mistake never learned!
He who never missed never shot!
Old 5th September 2014, 05:03 AM
Independent FT Pumper
Member of: EFTA England
Angry Walk away

Sorry to hear it Brian, think you and John should wrap it up and just have a good holiday forgetting the shooting and enjoy what NZ has to offer culturally.
Based on your minor reports and what we already knew it has turned out to be a comedy event, looks like this is nail in the coffin lid for the WFTF.
It was never going to be a credible win for whoever based on attendance but even more so now.

My advice .............. Forget the comedy tin chickens and walk away and enjoy your holiday.
Zenith EV2 No1 + Leup Comp x 40
CEO Tool's Tours plc
Twitter @Toolzenith
Old 5th September 2014, 05:06 AM
Allowed in Sales
Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

Yup, shooting has been cancelled for the day after stoppages on nearly every lane from the get go.

Even the high power guns aren't taking the targets down!

It's pretty annoying when your first shot of the World Championships when your heart is pounding the most is a 40 yard stander, you nail it but it doesn't go down. 4 marshals go out to check it and all agree it was a clean hit with no splits, then tell you they've fixed it now so under the rules you can take the shot again.

If that wasn't bad enough, they don't have enough non-shooters to marshal the course so the 'target checking' marshals are also shooting the comp and they need 2 of them to go and inspect a called target, which means they have to stop the shoot, locate two target checking marshals around the course (no walkie talkies) then they have to walk to the called target and inspect it.

The targets failed on almost everyone's first lane so the target checking marshals were kept very busy, which lead to a 2 and a half hour wait - before we'd even shot our first lane.

After all that fuss, I shot the second stander and it actually went down!!! Brilliant I thought, trouble was the string snagged and it wouldn't pull up again - so had to call for a marshal yet again.

In the end it took 4 hours to shoot 4 targets, my partner still hasn't shot the 2nd lane.

Now they've called the day off, out scores from today stand and we're to carry on from where we left off tomorrow. It's ok though because we're starting an hour early in the morning so we can finish one course and shoot the next course so we're back on track for the final day.

At least that's the plan

So John is 1 down after 8 targets and I'm clear after 4 targets.

Who knows what tomorrow holds.

On the positive side, it has been funny - we've spent all morning just laughing at the situation, and it's an event I can honestly say is the most memorable shoot I've ever been to, but perhaps for the wrong reasons

Kia Ora
Old 5th September 2014, 06:21 AM

This is shocking

Our guys had to do fund raising and probably put themselves in debt in order to attend this event.
We sent a very young team with most of them attending their first worlds. What must they be feeling now.

It is a very sad day for FT shooting and an even worse day for the WFTF

Steyr LG110 & Big Nikko
Steyr LG110 & FalconT50B
Old 5th September 2014, 07:00 AM
Member of: Blaenau Gwent

Two words ******* ridiculous
Old 5th September 2014, 08:26 AM
SWEFTA FT Champion 2006
Member of: Mendip Air Gun Club, East Devon FTC, Avon Hawks FTC.

Update on other Brits:

Steve F managed to shoot 12 targets before day was called off and was still CLEAR, Rich B managed 6 and was 1 down. Both were very frustrated!
Not heard how Andy W is doing.
AA Field Target Team 2007~2011
East Devon FTC - SWEFTA Club Champions 2006/2007/2008/2009/2010 & 2013/2014/2015
Old 5th September 2014, 08:42 AM
Member of: Blaenau Gwent
Default Disgraceful NZ

Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post
What a fecking farce!!!!

Gamo targets failing on EVERY LANE!!

Started shooting at 10:30, it's 14:16 now and I've shot two lanes.
First lane a stander, 40 yard and 30 yard. My partner shot first, the 40 yard didn't go down but the 30 did.

I came to the first target saw that my partner had the slightest of splits which might have explained it.

I took my shot on the 40 yarder and made a clean hit on the kill, so we call a marshal and wait 20 minutes. Marshal comes checks and says that mine was clean but the other was a split so we can shoot them again as they've fixed the target and it's fine now.

So my partner takes a shot and put a pellet strike clean in the centre and it still doesn't go down.

Turns out this is happening on EVERY LANE.

So we then have a 2 and a half hour wait in the pouring rain while they try to make a decision.

They then say we can carry on, so my next lane has a marker for a kneeling lane so I take the lane kneeling - 30 yard and 22 yard, both 25mm kills.

I thought it was odd because 30yards is too far for a reduced kill kneeler but I take the shot and knock it down - hooray!!! Next target a 22 yard 25mm - I'm the first person to fire a shot at it and I put a clean strike just low of centre if the kill.

So call a Marshall again - 40 minutes later one strolls up and confirm it's a clean hit. But that I should take it again.

Oh I found out that the lane was a sitting lane but the sign was for the lane next to it - 1 foot away!

Now they're decided all the targets are useless and we've been told we can leave the course for a 2 hour lunch while they 'fix' the targets.

Which is going to mean we have an hour of daylight left to shoot 23 lanes (if there are no stoppages)

So now I don't know what's happening, but this has turned out as the poster boy on how not to put on a shoot!!!

I've shot 4 targets in 4 hours and I'm still clear, I think John C has shot 4 lanes and might have dropped 1 - but who knows?
Bri it's sad news indeed, seems NZ have made a disastrous c@ck up indeed. As they had been warned by some very experienced shooters it's a shame no one there listened, as now they will be remembered as a laughing stock.

It's a foolish man that ignores advice from the experienced!

It's a long way to go with tight controls for everyone who has travelled and to be met with such a shambles is disgraceful.

It will be interesting to hear the excuse they come up with.

On a positive note it's a beautiful country will friendly people, so I Hope you can all at least enjoy the holiday.

Steyr LG110 FT, Sightron SIIISS 10-50x60 LRIRMH
Old 5th September 2014, 08:43 AM
B Grade Bandit
Member of: Anston FTC

What a nightmare!