Shooting the breeze BASC Sponsor the BFTA  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 19th August 2014, 04:02 PM
Share the Love
Member of: Misfits, Australia OMT

Originally Posted by MickyFinn View Post
David, I'd be interested to have a look through the little Leup you bought off Graeme as I nearly had it off him!

Mick, Not a problem, I will be at MAD this weekend, we will catch up there

Old 19th August 2014, 05:57 PM
Steyr Convert
Member of: Emley Moor FTC

Originally Posted by James0807 View Post
Are you sure you understand what parallax error actually is? You say being able to align your head consistently is more important?? That is what causes parallax error, head position differences!

Hi James,

yes I think i know what parallax error is, but maybe I didn't word it very well.I knew what I meant in my head.

Any way, the scope will either have it or not, but incorrect head position means that you dont eliminate it. Now my head hurts!

Interesting post though, to see what everyones thoughts and preferences are. I really believe that some shooters do not learn their scopes well enough or try and adjust out some problems. I have shot with a Sightron for two years now and I am still experimenting with different settings and eye distances.

There are quite a few Timberlines floating about, and I have owned most sizes, and the short mags, and the Fullfield 11's which I like (I have a3x9x40 on my huntiing set up which my daughter brought back on her last US visit).
I also have a Timberline 2x7x33 which is too clear for me for HFT, with almost no PX error and quite bright too.
I also noticed most of the Polish and Czech shooters were using Burris scopes at the worlds, and they were doing ok.

Last edited by DEAN C.; 19th August 2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 19th August 2014, 06:12 PM
Member of: Rivington Riflemen

Hi Dean.

I am glad you did not take my post the wrong way as it could have been received as a dig at you. There have been some very informative posts from the original reply. Rob F's post with the link was particularly interesting. I have learned more about the issue anyway. Best of luck trying to find the holy grail in riflescopes. I have learned something over the years, it is horses for courses. What suits you won't suit the next guy and vice versa.

Best regards.
You can never shoot enough pellets

Last edited by James0807; 19th August 2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 19th August 2014, 08:43 PM
Member of: The Oaks & Horsham hawks

I use an sr-6 & i find it does give a little error between 10-8y (shoots a pellet or two to the left) but it's not enough for me to worry.. certainly less than some other more expensive scopes i have tried.
In life you should not persue goals that are easily achieved, develop an instinct for what can be only just achieved through your greatest efforts.