Shooting the breeze Greyhound Gun Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 18th August 2014, 05:42 PM
Member of: redfern
Default Hft parralax error free scopes

Ive being shooting hft for 3 seasons don't get out much,but keen on the thinking side ov things,I've had a few hft scopes now,eb sniper,viper fixed 10,bushnell sniper fixed 10,hawke airmax sr6,falcon menace fixed and ffp,trying a connect this year 32mm scb2,the only 2 scopes that I've kept are the ffp menace and the sr6,as they have no parralax error,the connect has a small amount,I'm thinking ov saving up and getting a very nice scope for next year,s/h ofcorse,I've just being told sigtrons suffer bad with parralax error so there's a no no,what about night force,or vortex vipers or open to anything? Has to be half milldot or lines don't get on with just plain mill dot scopes,is there anything parralax free,I don't see the point ov making a scope that has parralax errorThe airmax has non,and there very cheap so it's not price
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 18th August 2014, 05:52 PM
Daystate's whipping boy
Member of: Tawd Vale FT & ARC

All scopes have parallax error, it's physics. The only way I have found to get rid of it is a stock that fits you well/one with an adjustable cheek piece.

Just set the cheekpiece up so you can't physically see through the scope unless your head is in the same position every time. Daystate stocks are especially bad for this, their cheek(jaw) piece is about 30mm to low, even for me and I have quite a fat face

Another thing that may help you out is set your scope a little too far forward, just set it so if you bring your head back 5mm or so you can see shadow on the edge of the scopes picture. That way you can check your head position is correct before each shot as the shadow should be even all the way around.
My silence is not weakness, but the beginning of my revenge.
Old 18th August 2014, 06:15 PM
Default Re

The falcon and sr6 have non,I can bob my head up down left n right and the ret just goes black or vanishes no movement at all nothing,the sr6 glass is a bit poor the falcon gave me the best results,but it's not true milldot.
Old 18th August 2014, 06:26 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Every scope has it. If the reticule is not set to the range then it's not in the same plane as the reticule and will move as the head is moved. Certain internal differences can mitigate it to some degree but none can remove it.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Old 18th August 2014, 06:46 PM
Default Re

Ok in hft as you know,I roughly set my parralax up to 23 yardapprox,so I've got a sight picture from 10 yard to 45,so on my hawke and falcon,there's no parralax error from 10 to 45 yard alto it's st at 23yard,every other scope I've played with has error so you can not tar them all with the same brush,there's somthing else going on.
Old 18th August 2014, 06:50 PM

A scope with a small size objective lens has less error than a scope with a large one.

Try the new mtc connect with a 24mm objective, very little error.

People say the sr6 has little error. Thats not really correct, it has lots but the ret changes colour if your heads not in the correct place, which tells you to line yourself up again.
I had an old Hawke varmint which did much the same. Sr6 glass was way better though.
Old 18th August 2014, 07:01 PM
WHFTA World Champion 2016.

I tried the Falcon Menace 4-14x44 ffp scope many years ago, I really liked it as a sniper scope setting the px for each shot, when I tried to use it on a fixed px setting it suffered really bad error as little as 10 yards away form the px setting. eg, with it set at 30y it would not group at 40y, set the px at 40y to shoot 40y and it was brilliant.

For hft I settled on the Night force NSX 2.5-10x24. which has closer to no px error than any scope I have ever come across.

The exit pupil dia of a scope is the area that when you eye is within it you will have a full sight picture, the further away from the centre of the exit pupil your eye is the greater the error. The exit pupil size is the objective lens size divided by the magnification so my NF scope has a 2.4mm exit pupil where the Falcons will be 4.4mm on 10x mag giving a lot more room to induce error.
As Steve said in an earlier post, if your eye is central you wont suffer any error, but very often a forced positional shot in hft can induce an error, and if you are not extremely aware it is easy to loose points because of it.
HFT, for people with only 2 buttucks!

VooDoo TwoTwo The next chapter.
Old 18th August 2014, 07:07 PM
Why do I bother????????
Member of: Darlington RA

I have found that the little FFP Rhino 2.2-10x26 that I am using is pretty good in that respect.

Needed to tweak the PX to where I wanted it initially, but easy enough done as the front end wasn't silly tight.
On 8 mag, clear from 13 yards out past 45.
Old 18th August 2014, 07:29 PM
Member of: Rivington Riflemen

Saying that the scopes have no parallax error is simply untrue as the good responses above already say. It is all about the exit pupil figure. Objective diameter divided by the magnification. The lower the number the less parallax error can be induced.

Best regards.
You can never shoot enough pellets
Old 18th August 2014, 08:16 PM
Steyr Convert
Member of: Emley Moor FTC

Hi Hotversion, I'm not sure who told you the Sightrons suffer badly as it is not true. I have heard some people have said that, and then sold them on, but I have found them to be very good and have little error when correctly adjusted. None of the three I have are bad for error, and the ease of which I can line my eye eliminates the little bit there is, but it is crucial to get the distance right from your eye. This is exactly the same as the TAC 30 Hawkes, and they have been criticised too, but you have to pull your eye close as well, and again you eliminate any slight error.

I have tried the majority of scopes including all of the ones you have mentioned, and looked through most others. Yes they have some error as they all do but HFT is about knowing your gun and scope and getting the best from them, as you know anyway. I would try experimenting a bit more and seeing if you can improve things.
To be honest the Falcon is a cracking scope and very useful, and why do you care if a scope id not true midot? A lot of MTC, Tac 30 and other scopes vary from scope to scope, and my sightrons are the earlier 1.2 MD version. They work out better for me as the 45 yard is on the top of the mildot, that's exactly the same as my 10x42 TAC 30, which is really 9.5x not 10.
There is also an art to setting a scope up, and many scopes can be improved by tweaking the ocular lens and the front lens adjustment. Try moving the rear focus slightly from where you would normally think it is right for your eye,and you will be surprised what you can do to reduce error in some scopes. Dont ask me to explain it though, but I picked it up after reading Jim Tyler article a few years ago.

Dont forget that there are more issues with scopes than px error. Being able to align your head consistently is more important, and with some scopes I find that hard indeed. I have sold a few scopes because I didnt know when I was looking down the centre.

Anything that you can PX at 23 yards with and get 1/4 mildot or less of error at 45 yards is better than good, as long as you can line your head up consistently.Most scopes will give you at least 1/2 mildot of error at 45 yards. I am talking each way of course. I have recently moved my PX setting by 2 yards and it has improved my 45 yarders considerably.

I was going to say that their is no perfect scope for HFT, YET! But if Burris fitted a 1/2 mil ret to a little 33mm front end Timberline!!!! Or the Leup 3x9x33 FER came with 1/2 mill ret! LOL.

Last edited by DEAN C.; 18th August 2014 at 08:49 PM.