Shooting the breeze Rivers West, Sponsors of UKAHFT  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 5th August 2014, 03:26 PM
Lucky git

I have to admit that in the past i have done the whole nine yards when it comes to pellet prep. Washing, weighing,lubing and sizing and still can't really say that i have seen noticable benefits. Mind you, i feel that i can group quite well on card and any anomalies due to pellet/batch/barrel mismatch would become apparent quite quickly. I aim for a group around the 10mm mark at 35 yards and can get that with a decent batch of JSB's straight out of the tin. However....i have noticed that my Steyr does prefer a fairly clean barrel and i think washing/lubing might help with that. Currently i have an excellent batch of JSB 4,52's and have 120 tins so nothing for me to worry about for a few months

I would still like to get a tin of my good batch and wash/lube a few hundred to see if the group sizes reduce and also to weigh a few hundred. It's the long range groups that i like to see tight and my current batch is pretty good down range despite being average over the chrono (10-15fps). It's worth trying these things as barrel/pellet combinations can be really weird and to dismiss the whole wash/weigh/lube/size regime as daft without trying it errr, well daft

Think i will prep a tin this weekend just for experiments sake....
Old 5th August 2014, 04:05 PM
B Grade Bandit
Member of: Anston FTC

Originally Posted by chrisc View Post

Think i will prep a tin this weekend just for experiments sake....
You'll need to remove the Div Unit from gun Chris, they cause to many variables for the results to be accurate.

Last edited by Yorkshiretea; 6th August 2014 at 04:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old 5th August 2014, 05:31 PM
Member of: Bedlay Airgun Club

What about the pellet temperature lead is a soft metal and is more plyable the hotter it is just saying
Old 5th August 2014, 06:34 PM

I don't think that the temp of the pellet matters to much cause when it gets smacked up the arse end by 100 bar it will take the shape that the breach and barrel dictate pellet to barrel match is where the big gains in accuracy are the smaller more crucial gains need a little more work especially in the twilight ranges 45-55 yards now if you take air temp now that is a whole new world