Shooting the breeze BASC - The British Association for Shooting and Conservation  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Closed Thread
Old 17th May 2015, 03:54 PM

It's a kind of circular argument where both sides are partly right. One set of laws says we can only have 22LR semi auto, but that would have been written when semi auto sub 12 fpe airguns weren't envisaged. Because of that, and the statement that Lassmann issued, it follows that no prosecutions will be forthcoming. In that respect, it may be unlawful to possess a semi auto, but the law is not going to pursue you over it.

Many laws are out of date and don't get changed. We've had this situation for 15 years or more, and the "earliest opportunity" hasn't arisen yet. If there was a public vote to win by seeking a change in the law, one party or another would have been telling us all about that for the last three months during the election campaign. So there is no detectable desire to change the legislation.

We still have a law that requires every London cab driver to have a bale of hay on board in case the horse gets hungry. I haven't seen a prosecution lately.

We also have two rifles widely held that would be section 5 if they went over 12fpe. The TX 200HC and the early model BSA Ultra, both with barrels under 12 inches long. Why are AMTA and GTA not demanding that AA cease production and BSA recall all the 10 inch Ultras? Because the illegality would be a technicality; they are airguns, end of. Why cannot some folk accept that semi auto under 12 fpe is also a technicality?
Old 17th May 2015, 03:55 PM
Never has been banned from sales
Member of: Nelson & Nomads airgun club

Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Many sincere thanks to Mr Jasongolsdmith66 for posting the HO circular 68/97

This is the CPS guidance: -

Go to: Definitions of Firearms and Air Weapons > Air weapons

This is the response I received asking if the above-mentioned CPS guidance is still valid:-

Campbell Grant
Sent: 30 April 2015 13:32
To: ''
Subject: FW: Semi Automatic sub 12 foot pound energy air rifles.
Page 1 of 3
Dear Mr Grant,
The CPS link is still valid and has not been superseded.
The HO guidance does not mention semi-automatic air rifles specifically, but this is implicit whenever the
guidance mentions air rifles.
A semi-automatic air rifle which has an energy rating of under 12 foot lbs does not need to be on a
I hope that this helps.

Would someone who is not banned from the "other" forum, please give them the facts.

Please forgive me, but how much clearer can it effing get?
Why would you inform the BBS, vast majority are a bunch of retarded pilchards who don't shoot anyway! And that's just the mods
He who never made a mistake never learned!
He who never missed never shot!
Old 17th May 2015, 04:23 PM

Just had a look at the other channel , looks like someone is going through the
wringer , and clutching more and more at straws ( imo )
Old 17th May 2015, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by JasonGoldsmith66 View Post
touché and several cracks of the whip ...

upload img
Please, please will someone post this on the other forum.

The GTA refers to this document as being the argument that SA's are illegal.
Old 17th May 2015, 05:07 PM
Member of: Rivi

Posting it on the bbs is pointless as thread will likely be removed within minutes and poster will receive a warning/ban.

Just as asking a certain importer about the hunter 5 to be told it is illegal and yet same person will sell you a semi auto pistol.
Old 17th May 2015, 05:33 PM
Member of: Rivington Riflemen

You go out shooting for a day and look what happens when your backs turned

The only organisation that we shooters should believe is BASC. Any trade organisation or any magazine Editors comments should be treated with extreme caution.

Old 17th May 2015, 05:54 PM

I think someone on the BS is telling Porkies.

If there was confusion over the 68/97 HOC then the same confusion must have existed when the same statement was made by the Firearms Consultative Committee in 2000 when it was reiterated.

Although the Home Office has stated numerous times in the last few years that sub 12FPE semi-auto's are excluded from licencing requirements and are legal it appears that this confusion still exists.

Now who is it that is confused.

Not the people who have brought them in.
Not the more informed airgunner.
Not Customs and Excise (or is that now the Border Agency) who have allowed them in (yes they will have asked the H.O.)
Not the Home Office.
Not the CPS.

Perhaps it's just the GTA and AMTA that are confused.
Perhaps we should ease their confusion and buy from elsewhere whenever possible.

Old 17th May 2015, 06:00 PM

Tried to upload PDF onto BBS but cant for some reason , its stinks to be honest and Mr Doa stating that they S/A ARE ILLEGAL yet GTA has had meeting with the HO WTF for then if they are illegal !!
I have asked Mr Doa if GTA would make public the minutes of the meeting between the GTA and HO as they have our best interests at heart don't think I would get a reply, He is getting rattled a bit as I asked him did he voice an opinion to stop S/A BEING IMPORTED. He comes back with a quote we will see who is right GTA or BASC I for one know who I would trust. Then he brings up a drive by crime in NZ HE NEEDS TO GET REAL AND TRY FOR HIMSELF STICK A AIR RIFLE OUT OF A MOVING CAR ANT TRY AND HIT A BARN DOOR WITH A SUB 12FT/IB AIR RIFLE
Old 17th May 2015, 06:20 PM

It looks like a position is being defended.

It is however being defended at our expence. Perhaps he's just a bit to quick to comment about SA's in New Zealand, why should that be mentioned

The problem now for the GTA is that the "Genie" is out of the bottle and cannot be put back. Even if they are successful in their endeavors and semi's are banned (which is what they are after) they have now convinced a large (and growing) number of airgunners to shop within the E.U. for better value for money.
What a stroke of genius

Old 17th May 2015, 06:40 PM
Daystate's whipping boy
Member of: Tawd Vale FT & ARC

Just out of interest, what airgun manufacturers are members of the AMTA?
My silence is not weakness, but the beginning of my revenge.
Closed Thread