Shooting the breeze Dowry Hill FTC  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 5th June 2014, 05:21 PM
Default On this day.....

Not airgun related in the slightest but I personally believe it deserves a mention....

On this day 70 years ago 13,000 Airborne soldiers started to enplane in locations spread across the south of England, in 6 hours time they would be the spearhead element in Operation Overlord, the invasion of Nazi occupied Europe.

They would be followed by 24,000 Allied soldiers assaulting the beaches across Normandy the next morning. This day would be forever know as "D-Day"

Please gentlemen spare a thought for both those that were lost and those that survived D Day for if it wasn't for ALL of them the world would be a far worse place.

Try and put yourself in the shoes of those young men 70 years ago. For those that have been involved in any sort of military operation in a hostile place will know the absolute rollercoaster of thoughts and emotions that go through your mind before going over the start line, it is truly draining.

They ALL overcame this fear and succeeded in spearheading the eventual re-occupation of "fortress Europe". I am personally immensely proud and truly thankful for the sacrifices made by those young men and women 70 years ago so we could live in a much better place and overthrow true tyranny.

Please reflect on what was one of the key days of modern civilisation, the day started the end of Nazi Germany's hold on Europe.

I will leave you with something that I think is very fitting and something I personally have a massive affinity to. I think it is very fitting for this occasion;

I was that which others did not want to be. I went where others feared to go. And did what others failed to do. I asked nothing from those who gave nothing, and reluctantly accepted the thought of eternal loneliness, should I fail. I have seen the face of terror, felt the cold sting of fear, and enjoyed the sweet taste of a moment of love. I have cried, pained and hoped, but most of all I have lived times others would say were best forgotten. At least someday I will be able to say I was proud of what I was! I was an Airborne soldier.

thank you for your time gents.
Pain is temporary, glory is forever!

Death is God's way of letting you know you failed P. Company.

Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 5th June 2014, 05:51 PM

Well done Kieran

MASSIVE respect and we've never met

atb Barry

ps one of my "pals" is a living N L vet

Last edited by kilty; 5th June 2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 5th June 2014, 06:10 PM
Member of: Rivington Riflemen

Well said Kieran,

They all have my heartfelt thanks and utmost respect.

Old 5th June 2014, 06:22 PM
Member of: Redfearns FTC

Lest We Forget
Some day i may get to shoot comps!!!
Old 5th June 2014, 06:46 PM
Not so senior member
Member of: Emley

As above. When i think back to what my grandad and all of his mates must have gone through that day. Safe to say am very very proud.
Old 5th June 2014, 07:02 PM
Member of: Springfield SEFTA

Absolute respect for those men, and all who follow after them. That beret carries a massive weight of history and pride we've not met to my knowledge but your avatar tells me all I need.
My late father in law watched the boys flying over all night from the deck of a minesweeper, working in complete blackout to clear the beachheads and sea lanes ahead of the mornings invasion force. Sailing under the eyes of those massive German emplacements all night no doubt quietly praying not to be seen.
A grandfather was serving on Landing Ship Tanks at the beachhead in the first wave of heavy landing craft; he had a better time than Anzio in 1943 when his craft was blown to bits, an American destroyer pulled him unconscious out the water 6 hours later, he went straight back into deployment.
Amazing men and women, all ordinary people who really did ' answer the call' .
2013/14/15/16 BFTA Grand Prix - Open Class Winner
2013 SEFTA Showdown Winner
2008/15. Essex 50 Winner
Old 5th June 2014, 07:03 PM
Member of: B O A C, B R P C ,

A BIG thank you for that Kieran, that`s a really thought provoking post ......... Gordon.
Old 5th June 2014, 07:22 PM

Good morning all,
It was with interest that I read this, as at the very same time the commemorative parade (practices) at Normandy were being screened on our national television.
This is certainly being remembered across the world.
Thankyou for posting Kieran.
We shall not forget.
MaDAS New Zealand
Walther Dominator Alutec LG300/MarchX
"Through Struggle to the Stars"
Old 5th June 2014, 07:23 PM

very well said Kieran I am the same as everyone else on here I have the up most respect and also very proud of every one of them past and present. they are heroes and made from the right stuff. they should never be forgot for their sacrifices to us all.
Old 5th June 2014, 09:17 PM
Member of: Nomads HFT

Thanks Kieran, for that very moving post. Massive respect for all our heroes past and present.