Shooting the breeze BASC - The British Association for Shooting and Conservation  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 27th May 2014, 05:18 AM
Allowed in Sales

Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNZ View Post
Aweosome Brian, this is a lot of fun!

Timewaste ahoy!

Seems to overestimate windage req'd at high power though (eg 0.033/18.1gr JSB @850fps)

If you want I can map out an NZ club course, just for fun. Will be windy though!
Eyup Davey

Yeah - it just uses the same windage equation as most of the trajectory software out there (including Chairgun etc)
The atmosphere info fed into the calculation is the standard atmosphere i.e. 1013 bar, 13 degrees C, at sea level etc. and it doesn't take differences in spin rate and barrels into account so the actual figure for drift for a given speed and direction probably won't be accurate for every gun. That's not important for the purpose of the game though, it's the differentials between distances and wind angles that it's trying to teach, and they should still be about right.

I've been given some data for another course to put in (cheers Tony F) - so with any luck that should be going in today (yesterday in your time zone ) but a Kiwi course would be really cool, yes please if you don't mind, that would be awesome!.

Cheers
Bri
Old 27th May 2014, 07:28 AM
Second time around

Member of: Quarry, Castleton, Avon Hawks
Wink kiwi course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post
Eyup Davey

Yeah - it just uses the same windage equation as most of the trajectory software out there (including Chairgun etc)
The atmosphere info fed into the calculation is the standard atmosphere i.e. 1013 bar, 13 degrees C, at sea level etc. and it doesn't take differences in spin rate and barrels into account so the actual figure for drift for a given speed and direction probably won't be accurate for every gun. That's not important for the purpose of the game though, it's the differentials between distances and wind angles that it's trying to teach, and they should still be about right.

I've been given some data for another course to put in (cheers Tony F) - so with any luck that should be going in today (yesterday in your time zone ) but a Kiwi course would be really cool, yes please if you don't mind, that would be awesome!.

Cheers
Bri
Brilliant game Bri, and very addictive. If you're mapping a kiwi course, give us a worlds, cause god knows I need the practice
Old 27th May 2014, 09:25 AM

Member of: Harriers

Nice work Brian, I learned a lot from it. And you'll have the course of NEFTA Classic Day 2, too

But this is an Open Class shooting now, you should do something with the positionals. Maybe, shooters could be able to give you 3 grouping sizes, for the three positions... Or, as an alternative, simply give a 15 mm kill to the standers and a 25 mm one for the kneelers, while keeping their original distances.
Old 27th May 2014, 09:42 AM
SWEFTA FT Champion 2006

Member of: Mendip Air Gun Club, East Devon FTC, Avon Hawks FTC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichWafta View Post
Brilliant game Bri, and very addictive. If you're mapping a kiwi course, give us a worlds, cause god knows I need the practice
Rich, I know you want more practice, so Mendip Course details will be added into the programme shortly by Brian
That will save you the drive over should it be raining
Old 27th May 2014, 09:44 AM
Allowed in Sales

Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
Nice work Brian, I learned a lot from it. And you'll have the course of NEFTA Classic Day 2, too

But this is an Open Class shooting now, you should do something with the positionals. Maybe, shooters could be able to give you 3 grouping sizes, for the three positions... Or, as an alternative, simply give a 15 mm kill to the standers and a 25 mm one for the kneelers, while keeping their original distances.
That's a good idea Andras.

Ok, what I'm going to do I think is keep the killzones at the size they were on the course (although I really like your 15mm/25mm idea) and instead I'm going to mark the targets up as Standing and Kneeling and introduce a WobbleFactor.

As a starting point I'm going to go with a WobbleFactor of 2 for standers and 1.6 for Kneelers. What that will do is for Standers it will take your MoA group size and double it and for kneelers it'll multiply the MoA by 1.6.

Does that sound about fair do you think or should I go for different wobble factors?

I want to avoid too much input from the user because it becomes a bit of a chore (and everyone lies about their group size anyway )

So what do you reckon on the WobbleFactors ?
(Don't forget, this isn't really supposed to be a full on FT simulator, just a fun game for learning the wind differentials with different ranges and vectors)

Something else I could do at some point is run an online competition - so a fixed course with fixed wind etc. You get to shoot the course at your current BFTA grade, but your accuracy levels are fixed for that grade (you can't make up your own ).. When shooting the course, you can see the wind direction pointer, but the wind speed won't be displayed - it'll just display a plus or minus to indicate there's more wind or less wind on that target.

Then we can have a league table.

Quite a lot of work there, so I'll put the wobble factor in to start with because that's easy
Old 27th May 2014, 09:50 AM
SWEFTA FT Champion 2006

Member of: Mendip Air Gun Club, East Devon FTC, Avon Hawks FTC.

That's sounds good Bri, your game is improving leaps and bounds. Many Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 09:53 AM
It's spreadsheet time!

Member of: WAGNZ, NRC, MCASA, NZAFTA

"Wobble factor" sounds like the way to go I reckon.

Will work on some course details for the local range.
Old 27th May 2014, 10:03 AM
jamie

Member of: emley moor ftc

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post

oh yes i cant wait for that
Old 27th May 2014, 10:16 AM

About ten years ago I wrote a spreadsheet to determine, or allocate, a "difficulty factor" to a course design. It factored longer targets harder than close ones of course, but not on a linear basis, it included a factor for wind on that lane, and it had the equivalent of what you are calling a wobble factor, Brian. Effectively it took a target at say 40 yards in a given wind, and allocated a reduced percentage chance of knocking it over if it was a kneeler or a stander instead of a freestyle.

Feedback comparing predicted "difficulty" with real life courses showed that your wobble factors are close to what I used eventually. I ended up with a kneeler factor of 1.5 and a standing factor of 2.25.

HTH

Rich
Old 27th May 2014, 11:38 AM
Keith

Member of: Far Coley
Default brians shooting in the wind game

Am addicted already. Somebody help me.