Shooting the breeze Millride Field Target Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 2nd June 2014, 02:35 PM

Member of: Redfearns & the UBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post
Haha - yeah me too! but I guess really since this is a wind simulation, if you get the wind perfectly right luck shouldn't come into whether you knock the target over or not. It would be a luck simulator then, and we'd all be in trouble

How about if I go to 2.65 and 1.75 and see how realistic it is then?
Whatever you think Bri. I usually get between 50% and 75% of my standers, so I'll soon see if it seems to give me the same sort of results I'd expect. They have improved a little of late, so closer to the top of the range than the bottom (which is nice) but still subject to statistical anomalies (aka shooting like a pilchard on occasion!)

But isn't the point that if you miss a target left or right you don't really know how much of it was wind and how much was group size (luck)?

For shooting off the bag it's not too difficult (if you're being honest) to determine a typical group size for you and your rig. However standers and kneelers have a lot more wobble and are more physical, in other words it's easy to tire yourself out and skew the results if you're firing pellet after pellet at paper in a discipline position. Also the wobble factor assumes the same linear relationship between 55 yard sitting group size and standers/kneelers, for all shooters. In my case I'm quite reasonable off the bag and better than average on kneelers but a bit poo on standers. So would a better solution be having a standing group size and a kneeling group size for each shooter, but defaulted to standard multiple of the sitting size?

Or are we just overcomplicating a cool little wind sim app!?
Old 2nd June 2014, 02:46 PM

If it's a wind simulator, does it need to differentiate standers and kneelers from freestyle? The purpose is to improve the shooter's estimation and judgement of what offset to allow for the wind, given the wind strength, wind direction and target distance, all else remaining the same. That offset will be there, regardless of the shooting position.

If it's a game, then bring in variable wind, buffeting etc.
Old 2nd June 2014, 02:49 PM
Allowed in Sales

Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Or are we just overcomplicating a cool little wind sim app!?
Lol, yeah we are a bit ( alot )

There's a really simple solution - just increase your average group size in the app. It'll make it harder to hit the sitters as well as everything else, but you'll just need to be better at getting the wind right.

If I get a mo, I'll add in some options for how good at standers and kneelers you think you are - so instead of allowing people to enter a wobble factor, I'll just have - Good, Ok, Crap buttons and put in a suitable wobble factor for you.

I think I'm going to add a "Troyer Scale" score for each target and an overall course score. Not that we use that scale in the UK, but it might be interesting to see what it is for a course.
Old 2nd June 2014, 02:53 PM
Allowed in Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
If it's a wind simulator, does it need to differentiate standers and kneelers from freestyle? The purpose is to improve the shooter's estimation and judgement of what offset to allow for the wind, given the wind strength, wind direction and target distance, all else remaining the same. That offset will be there, regardless of the shooting position.

If it's a game, then bring in variable wind, buffeting etc.
You're absolutely right Rich.. its never going to be a simulation of FT, there's just too many variables for that.. it's main aim is to be just a wind simulator.

It's starting to evolve into something a little different from it's intention though, and that is as a comparison between how different countries set up their FT courses. I've got a New Zealand course to be added during the week and a Spanish course has been added this morning.
Old 2nd June 2014, 04:05 PM
SWEFTA FT Champion 2006

Member of: Mendip Air Gun Club, East Devon FTC, Avon Hawks FTC.

Like the Spanish Course Bri and nice to see the different targets profiles.

After a good few tries (especially on the Mendip course), I have eventually cleared the York, Inters and Mendip courses and have just finished with a 51 ex52 on my first go at the Spanish course. Even with the higher wind speeds on that course, I guess I'm learning something as it feels much more comfortable now shooting off plate to get the longer ones!

Must remember this the next time I shoot Shebbear (windy Ridge).
Old 2nd June 2014, 04:29 PM

Member of: Redfearns & the UBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post
It's starting to evolve into something a little different from it's intention though, and that is as a comparison between how different countries set up their FT courses. I've got a New Zealand course to be added during the week and a Spanish course has been added this morning.
Ah well, if its remit has passed beyond mere wind, I no longer feel embarrassed about going overboard...!

How about target elevation, degrees positive or negative, (fed into the ballistic calcs natch!)

Sun direction relative to target. Easy enough from lat/long, timezone and local time, there's probably webservices available to get that info... but then you've got start time, shotgun or feed-on. Oh but if it's really overcast how relevant is sun direction, so back to a webservice for the local weather!

How about exact GPS coords of each target fed into an accurate topographical map of the region which would give you terrain type for each target and a factor for applying to the wind effect between firing point and target!

Makes you think though. Given the state of current 3D game engines, it would be feasible to develop a full FT sim game. Not economically of course, a few hundred worldwide would want to play it but very few of those would want to pay money for it. As a fun project though... There are plenty of easy to use map editors for the popular 3d game engines and even a few fully open source 3D engines.

I volunteer to be a beta tester!
Old 2nd June 2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyF View Post

Must remember this the next time I shoot Shebbear (windy Ridge).
Now, now. I made it at least five points easier for the last comp here.
Old 2nd June 2014, 04:49 PM
SWEFTA FT Champion 2006

Member of: Mendip Air Gun Club, East Devon FTC, Avon Hawks FTC.

Yes, even I done better Rich!
Old 2nd June 2014, 08:55 PM
Allowed in Sales

Had players from 28 countries playing so far today
Old 2nd June 2014, 09:10 PM
Never has been banned from sales

Member of: Nelson & Nomads airgun club

I've had a go. Can you add some bits off grass so I can use them to judge wind speed.