Shooting the breeze BASC Sponsor the BFTA  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 17th March 2014, 01:39 PM
Lucky git
Default I think my HFT rifle is sulking.

Do rifles really have a soul?

I've had a Steyr as my primary HFT gun for the last 6 years and bought another as back up for travelling to comps. This NEFTA winter league i shot SFT but managed to get into the Frayed knot team and was so chuffed that i decided to convert one Steyr into a full FT rig for the Frayed knot and to shoot FT (the dark side) once again in the next NEFTA winter league. Sooo....

Sightron S111
Anschutz butthook
pointer and mag coaster

The second the FT scope went onto the rifle it stopped grouping, initially making me think the scope was a lemon. I swapped the Viper back on and still the grouping was pants but after a strip down, clean and reg check thought all was fine and looking forward to setting it up on the Sat. So flew back into the UK on friday night and decided to pull through the barrel just in case. The pull though that i had used for the past 8 years snapped halfway down the barrel but luckily i had a VFG rod to get the patch out. So i decided to give the barrel a quick VFG instead and took off the stripper to help. Putting the stripper back on and the threads for the locking screw decided to strip but after another hour nmanaged to get it back on securely.

At nidnight i was bushed.

Saturday morning and nice and early to the club and with a sigh of relief all seemed fine apart form the very occasional dropped shot that i put down to me and my rusty sitting position. Then the trigger threw a wobbly and the rifle would cock but not fire until the second third or fourth attempt. I soon found that the sear had become slightly mis aligned due to a weak starlock washer so soon sorted and left the club happy to watch the Rugby.

Sunday morning and all seems fine on the zero range but on the course i'm seeing a few shots drop low and really know there's a problem after dropping under a full size kill at 35yards. struggled to get a 15 and decided to borrow my mates HW100 with a 10 mag scope for the second course and finished with a 20 when the top score was a 25 (very windy).

UKAHFT season now starts so the FT rig will sit a while as it's quite a few months before the winter league starts but it will get a smacked arse if it doesn't settle into it's new role.

Anyone else suffered from a sulky Steyr, Whinging Walther or an arsey air arms?
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 17th March 2014, 01:49 PM
Seor Member

Good post! I thought mine had PMT on Saturday on the HFT course, but after a check on the zero range I realised it was the T.B.T.T.
Old 17th March 2014, 02:05 PM
Aspiring to mediocrity
Member of: MEMBER OF M.A.D

Also, congrats on your 1000 post Chris, at least it wasn't a load of old rubbish like my one was

I fought my Steyr all last year, the only answer was to fix it and get shot of it. If you loose confidence in your gun, its hard to get it back.
Somehow I made TEAM ENGLAND 2012 and 2013

Illiterate writer for AirGunner

The real Kung Foo Panda.
Old 17th March 2014, 02:12 PM
Member of: Ponte & Hull & District Ft (secretary)

Don't know about sulking guns chris.

Had my red & silver steyr quite a while now it could just be suffering a touch of alzheimers.
May be time for a change.

Old 17th March 2014, 04:31 PM
Member of: The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT

That'll teach you to go over (back) to the "dark side" Chris!
Rick Ardern. RIP mate, never ever forgotten!

Currently in stock........

Steyr LG100 x2, Ripley AR5S x3, hw77 x2, hw80 x2, hw100, hw97, hw98, Walther Dommie, Walther LGV, Stoeger x20s .22, Daystate mk4 in a custom laminate stock, Diana mod 50 + Gamo compact & Rhm twinmaster pistols

Old 17th March 2014, 04:36 PM
Dink ! ...****'
Member of: Emley Moor ftc

Welcome to my world Chris lol...
AA S400 carbine in GNIB stock..hawke sidewinder
HW80k ..hawke panorama
Old 17th March 2014, 04:59 PM

Are you married to this rifle? Sounds like a divorce is due.
Old 17th March 2014, 05:44 PM
Member of: Misfits, Kibworth misfits

I've also had a mare this weekend with my walther lg300 alutec, I took the air cylinder off and when I put it back on it dumped all of its air in seconds! So I took the cylinder to a friend and he sorted the cylinder so it was holding its air again but the moment I screwed the cylinder back on it did it again!
Thinking now it must be the reg so got a spare cylinder and screwed it on and the reg is fine!
Anyone else had this problem?
Old 17th March 2014, 05:48 PM
UKAHFT Champion 2010 & 11
Member of: Rivington Riflemen

my guns have had their moments, a frequent strop, regardless of what i'm using is just before a mad double header

It's catch 22. you have a preferred gun and a backup, preferred gets battered, and thebackup gets under used and seals go off
BASC Team England HFT 2010,11,12,13,14,15,16 &17
Old 17th March 2014, 06:17 PM
Member of: Dunfermline
Default Sulking

I think you all should dry your eyes and get on with it LOL