Shooting the breeze Greyhound Gun Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 14th March 2014, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by D Hat View Post
Whatever you do don't buy an FTP , I bought one before Christmas it suffered from zero shift the blueing came off so sent it back , came back with an action that didn't fit properly and leaking from the firing valve. In fairness to air arms they honoured the warranty after I removed the anti tamper.
They sent a courier out for the gun and then I heard nothing for 10 days, so I rang up asking what was going on, they then said the gun had been damaged and that I had done it so were sending it back, anyway after two days of arguing they agreed to replace the gun and would send a replacement out to a local rfd. Got a phone call from air arms to say the gun was there but damaged by the courier , except for the fact they had left something loose in the box that had rattled against it .
A replacement was promised a week later but never turned up, so six weeks after dropping the original back at air arms still no gun, so rang up asking what was going on. Was told it was been tested for an extended period and that it was performing faultlessly , it arrived on Thursday , quick look over all looked well. Roll forward to Sunday morning , put a scope on it and take it down the club . It fired five shots before leaking out of the barrel. Glad to say I've got my money back .
That's most tactful post I have ever witnessed by you ,
after all that trouble mate im impressed.................
Fort air rifle club.
Remember....It,s nice to be nice..
Old 14th March 2014, 05:38 PM
I like Feinwerkbau's
Member of: Tawd Vale FT&ARC

To be honest I think Air Arms have gone over and above what's required by law to help you out Mr Hat? Removing the anti tamper invalidates the guarantee immediately, for them to offer a replacement is a lot more than most manufacturers would offer. I know quite a few VERY satisfied FTP owners so to judge them on a few teething problems seems unfair? Oh and before you ask, no I don't own an FTP or any other AA rifles
2012 BFTA B grade Champion
Tawd Vale Field Target and Air Rifle club
Proud to be the home of British and World Champions
Support the growth of Field Target in your NorthWest clubs.
This aint a dry run, if you dont do it now you wont get another chance!
Old 14th March 2014, 05:56 PM
Team AirArms
Member of: Tawd Vale FTC

Originally Posted by UpWind View Post
What guns are at the top of Ft and why?
The main thing to remember is this......

Never abuse your weapon, keep it dry from moisture and wiped over with an oily rag after use and any bluing will not come off/rust.

Never mess about with any parts you are unfamiliar with, or you may well seriously Damage it.

and if you think you have any problems with it, you must NEVER listen to fellow shooters who say, put oil down the transfer to get more power, this will only lead to tears.

and never abuse your stock by droping it on the ground or banging it/resting onto/ trees or stumps for a more stable postition....but if you must?, protect it from light bumps and scratches with some gaffer tape temporarily.

but if all else fails, then A Good Manufacturer would bend over backwards to help you get it sorted ( even when they are not obliged to ).

Old 14th March 2014, 05:58 PM
Everyone's friend

Air arms effort at curing zero shift, they also told the shop it was bought from it had a replacement stock , they listed everything they did on the invoice including shiming the action but forgot to list a new stock . It's not the problems with the gun that has annoyed me it's the constant lies and BS that came from them .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (281.3 KB, 164 views)

Last edited by D Hat; 14th March 2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 14th March 2014, 06:25 PM
Member of: SARC

i couldnt handle the wait for the ftp so got an anschutz 8002 s2 , im loving it and would recommend them highly
Old 14th March 2014, 09:01 PM
Member of: Wendover
Default Ftp

Dave you forgot to say why you had to remove the Anti tamper, I was at the club when the power dropped, I honestly think you couldn't of been more patient , as you know I sold mine, it hadn't gone wrong for me but unfortunately I hear that the guy I sold it to has had trouble with a seizing cocking arm, I only sold it because my EV which has a Airmasters reg and Mach 1 barrel shoots nicer in my opinion, i also think the A clamp surport assembly is a recipe for zero shift disaster, which pretty much made my mind up really ( my opinion as an engineer ) The accessory rail screw in-bedded in yours couldn't of helped things) No doubt Airarms will get them sorted eventually, after all The mk3 pro target with the mk2 barrel shroud was a great gun with the A clamp removed, ( same trigger as the FTP)
In conclusion, my thoughts are The FTP would have benefited from a fully floated barrel and simple stabiliser ( adjustable spring and weight ) as the the Steyr.
Asi paratrooper
Chrome plated gat ( 2 darts 1 lost )
Old 14th March 2014, 09:01 PM
The Chaser!
Member of: Bisley, Member of the Ostler Air stripper club of GB!

What guns are at the top of Ft and why?
Try some out first, have you joined a club yet?

What did you use when you shot FT before?

EV2 - March X 8x80
EV2 'Rev' off Awesime, (the one he didn't spray black.) - Big Nikko
Old 14th March 2014, 09:03 PM

I'm now shooting a Hammerli AR20FT with a few modifications. I have to say it is more accurate and more consistent than my EV2 ever was.

Tonight I've just come back home from a bench rest shooting session with the Hammerli, 20 yards, where you are looking to take out a white spot the size of a pin head. I've shot four cards, a 96, two 98s and a 100. My average this season before tonight was 96.7.

My average last season with the EV2 was 93.2, with a PB of 97.
Old 15th March 2014, 05:45 AM
Boingers forever.
Member of: Far Coley
Default Consider a mans rifle

spring is the thing
The Pope HW97 V-Mach. Gary Cane Laminate stock. Leupold Competition 40 mag Mildot.
The Smiler. Walther LGU. WE Laminate stock. Leupold Competition.
The Dark Destroyer. TX200 MK3. Leupold Competition 40 mag.
Pro-Sport. Warren Edwards Blue Laminate stock. Bushy 8-32x40.
Old 15th March 2014, 07:02 AM

Why not a Ripley?
There seems to be a lack of them on the FT circuit. There are some around that are made by Zenith and based on the Ripley action. Then some have a Nick Murphy or John Ostler reg fitted.

I am the owner of the later and have been for 10 years has done me well. I have shot the others but just prefer the feel of the Ripley. Could not put my finger on what was wrong with them, I suppose its jut I have been shooting Ripley's since 1995.