Shooting the breeze Valley Arms Sponsors of UKAHFT  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Benchrest

Benchrest Anything bench related...

Old 10th March 2014, 07:35 PM
Lee Marvin & the Shadows
Default My Weekend at the Brass Monkey

Went to my first Bench Rest competition over the weekend at Portishead near Bristol.
Its defo different than the HFT that I;m used to .
Practice was on the Friday ,I turned up with a Pro-target which was shooting so well at Pete;s Farm but I could;nt hit a barn door if I was pointed from 10 feet so that was back in the bag ,out comes the old S200 fitted with a new scope I borrowed from Tony Male and things looked good in PRACTICE.
Kipped in the van ,up at 7AM and ready for the day ahead ,first 4 shooters started at 9 and we were on the way ahead .my first 25 target card was at 2 o;clock and the wind blew from the first shot which went about half inch right ,some got better and some got worse and I finished with a dissapointing 238 the next card was;nt any better and that was my first education into bench rest shooting.
The Saturday night was great, 24 of us went to the local eatery and I got to know more of the shooters that had come from far and wide ,East Yorkshire,Wales ,County Durham,London and Manchester to name a few the food was good the banter was even better.
Sunday the shooting was better and I got into the 240;s so I;m now looking forward to the next competition .
My first Bench Rest weekend shoot went really well ,I met some lovely people,could and will shoot better in the future, it was different but any-one that has;nt tried it please dont think its easy them 2 mm centres dont get bigger as the wind blows they get smaller.
If any-one wants to try just keep an eye on the posts in the bench rest section on S-T-B and you;ll be pleaslently surprised .
cheers Ian
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10th March 2014, 11:08 PM

Pleased to hear you enjoyed your weekend enough to have another go Ian. As you discovered the Portishead air range is deceptive and catches everyone one out but that is no different to some of the HFT courses you shoot. Look forward to meeting up again at the next match.
Old 11th March 2014, 08:22 AM
Default people think benchrest is easy

There is a competition coming up at Gloucestershire
so give it a go its harder than it looks hitting a 2 mm ball at 25 yards
see you there Graham
Old 14th March 2014, 03:48 PM
Member of: harriers field target
Default benchrest easy

the only people who think benchrest is easy, are the ones like me who have never tried it.
i would never say its easy due to that fact, as much skill and dedication involved as to my own chosen sport(FT)
Old 15th March 2014, 09:51 PM

Well said Gary. I for one have no interest in either of the FT disciplines, but it doesn't stop me appreciating the skill required to do it.