Shooting the breeze BASC - The British Association for Shooting and Conservation  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

View Poll Results: Targets under 10yds/m are...
a valid target 51 59.30%
a test of shooter 36 41.86%
a test of equipment 18 20.93%
a pointless target 5 5.81%
a safety hazard 7 8.14%
a test on who has a scope that can focus on it (FT) 9 10.47%
a gimme/break from hard targets 8 9.30%
a target for beginners 5 5.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25th October 2009, 05:55 PM

Variety is the spice of life - including reducers. It was nice to see a few more reducers than usual at Bisley today as they were running short for an 80 target course. Always remember - everybody has to shoot the same targets

Old 25th October 2009, 06:22 PM
I Like BIG Hats!
Member of: Far Coley FTC

Personally I like them, not a gimme by any stretch of the imagination. Everyone practices 50-55yarders but like standing these rarely get practiced and sometimes people dont even have settings for them. This makes them tricky as a lot of people dont understand and dont know how to deal with these ultra close targets, hense a test of the shooters skill and understanding.
AirArms RN10/EV2 Stock-2007 Big nikko FT Kit
AirArms NJR100 Hawke Airmax SR6 HFT/SFT Kit
Feinwerkbau 600 10 metre
HW77K-zeiler 6-24x44 Work in progress
Webley Vulcan .22 Lovely old relic
Old 25th October 2009, 07:20 PM
Sparky's Bodyguard

Don't have any problems with them to be honest
Old 25th October 2009, 07:55 PM
Member of: Rivington Riflemen

I feel that targets at 8, 9 and 10 yards are quite testing. I can only talk about HFT as that's what I shoot.

Normally they would be slightly larger than 15mm but none the less a challenge. Targets at these distances really make me think as unless you get your distance correct they can be missed easily.

As part of a course they are as justified as the longer distance targets.

Old 25th October 2009, 07:59 PM

that was less than 7 ratty more like 5.5 i was well off
Old 26th October 2009, 06:42 AM

My own view on these targets has changed in recent years.

Having seen pellets rebounding off them and been hit by fragments as well my view, in the light of the ever present 'health and safety' culture is that they are a potential hazard and steps should be taken to alleviate risk.

Sorry if this sounds frightfully 'lily-livered' but the simple fact is I don't relish being the one with my nuts on the block if there is an accident involving a target such as this.

IMO we should consider going to 12 yards as a minimum distance, as that little extra distance seems to cut down on rebounds coming back to the firing point.

For indoor target shooting using low power rifles, I don't see any need to change.
Old 26th October 2009, 07:47 AM

Hmmm...I've never been hit by a rebound from an 8 yarder...are you sure you're using lead-based pellets!

I voted for all the options except the negative middle three.

As long as there aren't too many and they're placed imaginatively...
Old 26th October 2009, 08:28 AM

Maybe we could go some way to minimise the rebound problem by careful orientation of the faceplate in respect of the line of fire. I'm thinking that the target could be placed so that the faceplate is inclined downwards or tilted towards the shooter by say ten degrees. Pellets hitting the paddle are very unlikely to come back through a small kill zone, and at short ranges the pellet should have enough momentum to overcome the additional work of tilting the plate back to vertical before the torsion spring makes it fall.

Perhaps also we might consider some kind of shroud?

Bounce back is something to be considered; we had a visitor's day for the public at our club soon after we opened in 2003, and a 25 calibre pellet came back from hitting a steel scaffold pole at ten yards. I put that down to the pole being "springy" and the pellet being slow and not shattering on impact. We don't use scaffold poles any more, oddly not many of us shoot 25 cal either.
Old 26th October 2009, 12:18 PM

I was hit on the arm by a rebound this year at the Emley GP , That target was 15yrds, 1st time this has happened in 8 years of shooting, The target face plate was slightly angled to the firing line and I was on the following lane, All the energy had come out of the pellet and If had my jacket on proberly would not have felt it.
In germany their insurance states safety glasses must be worn as per the last worlds held there, I did question this at the time and that was the answer I received,Are 8 yrds targets safe, can't really answer that but I would not have one on my FT course at EDFTC unless it was a 25mm kill so misses would be rare, I voted the target as a gimme, but also Valid.
SWEFTA Club Champions 2006,07,08,09,10
Old 26th October 2009, 01:09 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

I've been hit 3 times by rebounds off 8 yd targets... once in Swefta, once in FFTA, and once at CGC. One of them came close to my eye, but I wasn't shooting at any of them at the time...The eye one was on a plinking range, this summer. I spoke to the RO at the time and the target was moved closer out.

I can see them as a test, the variety of kill sizes used and the difference between 8-9-10 yds in trajectory terms can catch people out... but without wanting to be alarmist, I do slightly wince at them these days... I'm not sure whether some sort of baffle or coating on them is possible of if indeed the splashes came off a plate or kill.

Still, they do feel nice when they fall over, especially when you're having a bad day
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep