Shooting the breeze Millride Field Target Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 2nd May 2014, 09:44 AM
Because I`m AWESIME !!

Member of: Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree

Is there likely to be a cheaper version?

REV26 Ostler Ev2 & x45 comp awaiting a Gary Cane Stock!
Beast Priest Ostler Ev2 & x45 prem ret comp in Warren Edwards stock
If you want the best, Ostler is the man
Pump your Fish, Little or Large
MFTA visitors World championship - Arms dealer 97, Awesime 94, Acid Hands 85
Old 2nd May 2014, 10:53 AM
B Grade Bandit

Member of: Anston FTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dek_Rowan_Eng View Post
As I said, the reason for the 0.1yard or meters readout is to future proof the equipment and not to limit skilled shooters that may be able to reach this level.

ATB
Derek
Sure but you don't directly answer the question I asked. I'd have answered: Yes you can repeatable hit 50.1, 50.2, 50.3 with no problems at all after asking twice I'm still not sure what the answer is Derek I'm not trying to catch you out with anything I'm just asking because I'd like to know and I'm very interested in the technical side as well.
Old 2nd May 2014, 11:01 AM
Allowed in Sales

Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

I can repeatedly rangefind to 0.5 of a yard with my analogue AO scope.
Old 2nd May 2014, 11:39 AM
My Empire of Dirt

Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshiretea View Post
Sure but you don't directly answer the question I asked. I'd have answered: Yes you can repeatable hit 50.1, 50.2, 50.3 with no problems at all after asking twice I'm still not sure what the answer is Derek I'm not trying to catch you out with anything I'm just asking because I'd like to know and I'm very interested in the technical side as well.
It doesn't matter if you can... what matters is that the device can measure it. You always want the device you are measuring with to have a greater degree of accuracy and precision than the thing you are measuring. From the sounds of it it doesn't cost any more either.

If one of the ideas to be able to share data between shooters goes ahead, you'll see what others are capable of.

But it's a bit hard to say how repeatable 50.1 is without actually having a device capable of measuring that.
Old 2nd May 2014, 11:56 AM

Member of: Redfearns & the UBC

Theoretically, if the scope were capable of it! The limiting factors of course are the resolution of the optics and the accuracy of the wet bits! The human eye and brain.

You couldn't bolt this onto a 70 ZOS and expect to resolve to 0.1 yards at 55 yards.
Old 2nd May 2014, 12:15 PM
B Grade Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
It doesn't matter if you can... what matters is that the device can measure it. You always want the device you are measuring with to have a greater degree of accuracy and precision than the thing you are measuring. From the sounds of it it doesn't cost any more either.

If one of the ideas to be able to share data between shooters goes ahead, you'll see what others are capable of.

But it's a bit hard to say how repeatable 50.1 is without actually having a device capable of measuring that.
Don't disagree in theory but in practice trying to get 50 points between 50 & 55yds is pretty impossible unless you're using a 950mm wheel I'm trying to get at what the reality actually is beyond the "flashy" numbers. I love the numbers, I love the tech but...

So, in practice on a standard 150mm wheel, how may points between 50 and 55yds can one expect to see?
Old 2nd May 2014, 12:39 PM
Allowed in Sales

Quote:
Don't disagree in theory but in practice trying to get 50 points between 50 & 55yds is pretty impossible unless you're using a 950mm wheel I'm trying to get at what the reality actually is beyond the "flashy" numbers. I love the numbers, I love the tech but...

So, in practice on a standard 150mm wheel, how may points between 50 and 55yds can one expect to see?
If you're really against the decimal place, why not just put a bit of black tape over that part of the display

btw - I had a look at one of these at GP1, really cool actually, I was impressed and I didn't expect to be,

It also corrects your clicks for inclined shots ( and doesn't use the incorrect Riflemans formula to come up with the answer )
Old 2nd May 2014, 12:46 PM
B Grade Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post
If you're really against the decimal place, why not just put a bit of black tape over that part of the display

btw - I had a look at one of these at GP1, really cool actually, I was impressed and I didn't expect to be,

It also corrects your clicks for inclined shots ( and doesn't use the incorrect Riflemans formula to come up with the answer )
LOL I'm not, it could measure in 1um for me and that's fine, I'm just wondering what the reality of the translation is because I'm excited about the project and if it's possible, then brilliant. If it can hit 51, 52, 53 I'll be chuffed, sorry if it's coming across as difficult, I'm just really interested.
Old 2nd May 2014, 12:53 PM
Allowed in Sales

I watched John Costello range find a target twice - it came up as 39.6 yards both times.
Old 2nd May 2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:

Hi YT,

I wasn't avoiding the question as it depends on the shooter.
I'll have to work out the effective size a side wheel would need to be to match the resolution of the DSW.

For example, we have a test / training function that records 5 attempts at focusing on a target, the DSW shows these 5 ranges. It's a simple "how repeatable is my eye test".
This measures the effective wheel focus position to 0.01 yards.

So to answer your question, yes the DSW will range to 0.1 yards easily - this is a real number relating to the wheel focus position, the repeatability is dependant of how good the shooter is and the scope used.
And that is one of the interesting parts, as we can now measure exactly how good or bad we are at ranging
ATB
Derek