Shooting the breeze Central Southern Field Target Association  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 29th April 2014, 10:48 PM
B Grade Bandit

Member of: Anston FTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Tell me, how do you know the scope you are using is the best for you for rangefinding? Did you get the idea from someone else? Did you try all the scopes and blind test your consistency and accuracy? Did you keep the one you had some good results with? How does it compare with other scopes?
To start with my wallet Rob, went to the shop, looked down loads of them and found one that would be a good starter knowing that if I was any good I'd be updating it and if I was I'd have no problem selling it and I hadn't broken the bank.

I then tried loads at the club but stuck with what I had to see if I'd still be getting up at 7am at the weekends to shoot. Even shot my first comp with it because at this point I couldn't even sit properly, fast forward 3 months and I kinda still went with my wallet after trying a few Nikko's, Sightron and March. I went with the industry standard because that's what I could afford at the time. I'll be looking to update and try new stuff out if I'm still here at the start of the next Winter League. Not ideal but that's how things happen, hardly anyone could afford to do what your suggesting but I get the point you are driving at.
Old 29th April 2014, 11:03 PM
My Empire of Dirt

Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

It's not always the most expensive that's the best . Things like this could show for instance that a 300 custom shop is with say 90% of the performance of a march. You could perhaps buy the strips, then borrow the device from someone. If the data cross references then it may lead to a sharp curve where people post their stats and people pick up on it as a starting point. A bit like pellets. Get to a rough ball park and refine from there.
The unit could probably be programmed to force a blind test to stop people skewing the data either deliberately or not. I think that might reveal some very cheaper options for many a wallet. It could also show if using a scope in a particular way or on a particular type of detail is better or worse. Perhaps if a larger or smaller sidewheel is actually better or worse. It's going to be down to an individual to some degree but a lot of the fumbling could be removed and some cheaper options found. I've always said my march is not 10x as good as my deben. And I think my deben would probably do me fine or at least narrowed down. It might highlight some more expensive options that don't seem to pay dividends.
Old 30th April 2014, 08:11 AM
B Grade Bandit

Quote:
It's not always the most expensive that's the best . Things like this could show for instance that a 300 custom shop is with say 90% of the performance of a march. You could perhaps buy the strips, then borrow the device from someone. If the data cross references then it may lead to a sharp curve where people post their stats and people pick up on it as a starting point. A bit like pellets. Get to a rough ball park and refine from there.
The unit could probably be programmed to force a blind test to stop people skewing the data either deliberately or not. I think that might reveal some very cheaper options for many a wallet. It could also show if using a scope in a particular way or on a particular type of detail is better or worse. Perhaps if a larger or smaller sidewheel is actually better or worse. It's going to be down to an individual to some degree but a lot of the fumbling could be removed and some cheaper options found. I've always said my march is not 10x as good as my deben. And I think my deben would probably do me fine or at least narrowed down. It might highlight some more expensive options that don't seem to pay dividends.
I didn't go with the most expensive, I've only bought two things brand new since I started in the sport. I went with the industry standard and one that clicked better with my eyes.

Fair point tho Rob but we don't live, work or operate in an "ideal" world. In that world the shop would have lent me everything for a month, I'd be getting paid for going down the club every single day and you'd be on site to offer free advice with 7 nurses just in case

I don't disagree with you on the data either, more is always useful. I'm still not sure beyond the data how useful a DSW is, I've got my markings, charts and group sizes, I'm learning how to play the odds more - what I need now is practice and repetition. I don't need a Scatt to tell me why my standers are not as good as John Lee's, I know why already!

The only place the DSW would be useful is if it's accurate beyond 50yds on the position, do you know what the increments are at that distance? I know John said it could register 2 microns but it certain wont be using that as the human hand isn't that accurate.

So, is the DSW is useful? Yes
Is it cheating? No
Will it give you a massive advantage? No
Will the data be useful? Yes
Can you buy your way to the top? No
Can shooter be objective without data/process awareness? Yes
Old 30th April 2014, 10:34 AM

Default very informative but........

Are they WATERPROOF tho

not just resistant ,dampproof etc but waterproof cos we all know what its like when youre on the course for 3 hrs and its lashing down
Old 30th April 2014, 10:50 AM
My Empire of Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshiretea View Post
Can shooter be objective without data/process awareness? Yes
How?...
Old 30th April 2014, 10:51 AM
My Empire of Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave croucher View Post
Are they WATERPROOF tho

not just resistant ,dampproof etc but waterproof cos we all know what its like when youre on the course for 3 hrs and its lashing down
I assume that it's something in the specs.
Old 30th April 2014, 11:22 AM
Old Git.

Member of: Redfearns FTC.

Quote:
I assume that it's something in the specs.
I would think so, I believe a cowl/sunshade is in the pipeline to help read the screen on very bright days.
Old 30th April 2014, 11:30 AM
B Grade Bandit

Quote:
How?...
It would depend on us defining the dataset but I've already presented you a case about standers as an example, I think you can demonstrate that both are correct. Shall we go into personal learning bias next?
Old 30th April 2014, 12:43 PM
My Empire of Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshiretea View Post
It would depend on us defining the dataset but I've already presented you a case about standers as an example, I think you can demonstrate that both are correct. Shall we go into personal learning bias next?
I don't follow. You need to define the data set to show how a someone can be objective without any data?

Cognitive bias is why data is important.
Old 30th April 2014, 01:26 PM
B Grade Bandit

Quote:
I don't follow. You need to define the data set to show how a someone can be objective without any data?
Yes, otherwise how are you measuring anything other than an opinion?