Shooting the breeze Best fittings sponsors UKAHFT  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 2nd May 2014, 12:58 PM
Member of: NOFTC CRPC

I think we need to sort out some basic stats here.

The sensitivity is not the same as accuracy and we all know that gaps change on a side wheel so that although the sensor has linear sensitivity the conversion to a distance will differ at 30 yards and 50 yards.

For a given distance you would need an independent measurement of the distance to the target when setting up the device. Tat measurement needs to be repeated and the mean and std deviation of that measurement recorded. So it may come out as 50.25 yes 0.05 or some such.

Then when you use the new device you have to take repeated independent measurements and again decide how many of the units are needed to record 50.25yds. The problem here is that the readings are not independent unless someone else is there to record the result without the shooter (observer) knowing what has just been output. Also eyes tire so there will probably be a change in the readings over time (and possible influence of light, cloud, etc) and that will be a systematic error.

At the end of it you will have a 'measure' of distance but the accuracy will not be as good as you think it might be. Do it once and the stats say the possible error is very large.

When used in the wild the measurement may be repeated a few times and 'that seems to be ok' is the measure of accuracy..

It looks like a great device to train with, on a course it will be a better readout than guessing it is more than 45, less than 50, give it 2.5MOA.
BFTA Secretary 2012-2014
CSFTA Secretary 2014-2016
Old 2nd May 2014, 01:04 PM
B Grade Bandit
Member of: Anston FTC

Originally Posted by Dek_Rowan_Eng View Post
Hi YT,

I wasn't avoiding the question as it depends on the shooter.
I'll have to work out the effective size a side wheel would need to be to match the resolution of the DSW.

For example, we have a test / training function that records 5 attempts at focusing on a target, the DSW shows these 5 ranges. It's a simple "how repeatable is my eye test".
This measures the effective wheel focus position to 0.01 yards.

So to answer your question, yes the DSW will range to 0.1 yards easily - this is a real number relating to the wheel focus position, the repeatability is dependant of how good the shooter is and the scope used.
And that is one of the interesting parts, as we can now measure exactly how good or bad we are at ranging
Cheers Derek, looking forward to having a go on one and future developments. Thanks for answering fella.
Old 15th May 2014, 12:11 PM

We'll be at ETL GP2 with a demo DSW' chassis. If anyone would like to take a closer look at the DSW, myself or Dave would be glad to show you.

Old 15th May 2014, 03:32 PM
Member of: Harriers

I sent you a PM, Derek.
The Updated BFTA Manuals Maestro Design FT Accessories
Old 17th May 2014, 09:25 AM
Member of: nelson
Default dsw

seems like people are warming to this device
Old 14th July 2016, 10:22 AM
Member of: Newbury

I shoot a Burris and range finding has never been a problem, its just knocking the targets over that seems to be the biggest problem!