Shooting the breeze Millride Field Target Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 24th January 2014, 03:08 AM
Member of: carisbrooke rangers

Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Some group shots from November... haven't shot much so this was just a case of warming up for an evening...

25m indoors, sitting. Walther, JSB Exact Express from the tin

I think most of the ones in the black are 5's, I was fiddling and playing with position. I think most of the ones in the white are 10 shot groups, with the exception of the one far left on the address which is a 20, and the one to the right of the 5p which is a 40 shot group. The flyer to the right irked me so I repeated the exercise again a few inches to the right with more concentration to get 40 without me sending one off.

I seem to have more of an issue shooting on the black, leading me to suspect I'm not concentrating on the cross hairs position so much visually when I send them, or something along those lines. On the white my groups are better, the flyers appear less.

A 5p coin is 18mm diameter. The better 40 shot group is 12x11mm edge to edge, which means it's around 7.5mm CTC. It's a little reassuring to say that out of 80 shots, if I get the wind right, a 15mm reducer is safe at BFTA and further distances 79 times. If... if I get the wind right. And concentrate.

Nice thing about training indoors is you know it wasn't wind.

Talking of getting things right Rob . i was taught that you concentrated on the point of aim and superimposed the cross hairs on the point of aim . not the other way around . No it is all right rob . you don't have to thank me ??? HOLLY
" Be your self , everybody else is taken "
Old 24th January 2014, 03:02 PM
Mk3 Fanatic
Member of: SYWELL NTSC : FT : Greyhound : Kibworth
Default Friday 24th

I've been back to Sywell this morning. [and Sywell, on the 100yds rifle range is back to normal ~ cold & a howling wind]
I've checked range finding; checked my click chart, and am generally pleased with the outcome.
Some small adjustment to the clicks and magnification at 8/9/10yds, but otherwise, spot-on.

I put 10 knock-downs out at a variety of ranges. With an A4 sized plate beside each of them.
I found out what the wind required on the plate then tackled the target, with the same allowance for wind.
Once I had gone round and got the hang of it I re-filled with air, then shot round the course again, but just at the targets. 15/25/40mm KZ, depending upon the range.
I certainly didn't hit them all first time - but I learned a lot about wind deflection. Horizontally & vertically.
At 45+yds I was anything up to 4xKZ off the target and they were going down. But at that range, with the way the wind was swirling, I was getting caught out vertically as well. Sometimes the pellet would be ½KZ high and other times it would be ½KZ low.

So a lot learned, without worrying too much about 'toppling targets' [though I did get them all at some point during the process ] Another good productive day
You're only young once - so it's best to make it last for the whole of your lifetime.
The FFTA Winter League nemesis
Renovated Daystate Mk3 .177 ~ Big Nikko Mk3:
BASC Member
Old 24th January 2014, 03:08 PM
Dink ! ...****'
Member of: Emley Moor ftc

What I've learnt today......1st go with a springer, my tx 200 fitted with a classic hawke endurance 30/30 ret scope...I hit 10 ex 30 on our ft course..promising start ESP with the scope as holdover points as such..really was liberating to shoot a springer, looking forward to more practice tomorrow now
AA S400 carbine in GNIB stock..hawke sidewinder
HW80k ..hawke panorama
Old 24th December 2015, 06:26 PM
Member of: Millride

I've really enjoyed reading your thoughts.
Every shoot gives me something else to take home and think about. For example, this last Sunday I got my two targets Down while some one (Mike) was standing behind me, talking to me.
He asked if I wanted to be left alone when I mentioned an audience flusters me but of course I said no, stay and he did, and I got both targets! Each improvement feels great!
Shiny Blue EV2 Mk2, Falcon T50 10-50×60
John Bowkett BSA Goldstar SE RNRR, Bowkett Carbon Shroud/moderator/air stripper, Aluminium scope riser made by Shawn, Polished trigger guard. Soon to fit cheek piece risers. Hawke Airmax 30 AMX 8-32×50