Shooting the breeze Dowry Hill FTC  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > UKAHFT Official Forum

UKAHFT Official Forum United Kingdom Association of Hunter Field Target

Old 23rd October 2013, 09:51 PM
Member of: The Oaks & Horsham hawks

Originally Posted by James0807 View Post
Horses for courses. What is right for one will not be right for the other. I prefer a deep for end with the Scope mounted really far back. I feel that a rifle that is repeatable is the most important thing. Being able to zero the rifle and just leave it. A chunky block, good barrel and consistent velocity are the most important things. How this is achieved is obviously down to the design.

Best regards.
Pah.. what do you know James
In life you should not persue goals that are easily achieved, develop an instinct for what can be only just achieved through your greatest efforts.
Old 24th October 2013, 05:14 AM
Allowed in Sales
Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

I think as a core list I'd want :
  • one piece action
  • floating barrel (not too thin - maybe 15mm or more) threaded for silencer/stripper
  • direct pellet feed
  • transfer port not inside barrel
  • No AT fitted

Accepting that not everyone has the same requirements and will almost certainly want to tailor the gun for their own preferences, instead of trying to build one gun that suits everyone, why not offer a componentised gun.

So... offer it in an action only option (if you want to fit your own custom stock, there's no need to have to buy one with a standard stock and sell it on when you fit your custom one). Make the action so that it could fit in an S400/ProTarget/Ev2 stock without too much modification - so that people can use existing stocks if they want to.

Offer drop in options that you can upgrade/change later on.

Different cylinder options could include - standard, long, steel/titanium
Different reg options (easily swapped out by screwing / unscrewing from cylinder) - no reg, standard reg, match reg
Different trigger options (make the trigger mechanism a contained drop in component) - standard, match
Fully adjustable trigger blade with an easy option for swapping out the blade and perhaps options for an offset blade.

Offer some stock options for those that don't want a custom stock - hunter, junior, target etc
Offer different butt pad options - standard pad, adjustable pad, HFT hook, FT hook
Offer different bolt on rail options - dovetail, weaver, drop compensated raised rail etc.
Offer different barrel options - long, short, match grade, different twist rates, calibres etc.

All the options should be available at reasonable prices so that the gun can be upgraded later on without getting mugged on the price.

You'd have a gun that suited everyone then.
Old 24th October 2013, 09:57 AM
Member of: FT Schalkhaar / SSV Ons Genoegen

Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post
I think as a core list I'd want :
  • one piece action
  • floating barrel (not too thin - maybe 15mm or more) threaded for silencer/stripper
  • direct pellet feed
  • transfer port not inside barrel
  • No AT fitted
Originally Posted by Tye View Post
most replies so far are everyone wants a gun no longer than 42", free floated, direct loading into breech, side lever.
I think the outcome will be the Airarms Pro Target MK3.
It has all the asked for features, doesn't it?
Field Target Schalkhaar:
Airgun Accuracy weblog:
Old 24th October 2013, 12:21 PM
Member of: Moxons ARC, Tamworth SG,Welsh Covert SG, Whittington GC, Greyhound GC

thanks guys
“Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.”

The real Peaky Blinder

hft, research, ukahft