Shooting the breeze BASC Sponsor the BFTA  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 3rd September 2013, 06:22 PM
Allowed in Sales
Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

Feel really gutted for you Simon, but I'm sure you'll bounce back.
Still an awesome performance - as always from you.
Old 3rd September 2013, 06:46 PM
Member of: Midshires
Default Both World Champs

A most magnanimous post from Simon, written in the gentlemanly way that he is.
I know that the rules require that the lane targets are taken in sequence (for very good reasons I'm advised?). However one should not forget that the targets were both hit and the purpose of the tournament is to see who has the skill to hit most targets. So in my book Simon and John are both World champions and together with the rest of the excellent Team England shooters deserve all the accolade that their shooting prowess recognises.
Well done to all.
Colin & Lori
Old 3rd September 2013, 07:24 PM

I feel for you, I really do.

I had a shocker at a HFT worlds that cost me winning the recoil that year.

You shot superbly. Keep going.

Last edited by skires; 4th September 2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 3rd September 2013, 08:48 PM
Member of: Rivington Riflemen

Originally Posted by simona View Post
First off and most importantly warmest congratulations to John, we had a great few days together and he got the job done. I only wish I could duplicate his level of composure and calm. I really enjoyed his company and we've talked through all sorts of stuff both before and after the competition; it was a pleasure to get to know him. My daughters also appreciated his magic show prior to our departure! Well done to the entire England team, we really did ourselves proud on what was a tough set of Euro-style FT courses.

From a personal perspective I have to say I'm truly gut busted by my performance, it's going to be very hard for me to come to terms with a terrible error that I made. I've been doing FT for 25 years on and off and I've always been able to easily accept whatever has come my way.

I may be opening myself up for ridicule but I shot my very last lane out of sequence (hitting both!) to drop two behind the top score. The lane featured targets just a yard or so apart at the top of a high bank at about 52-odd yards. It was perhaps the only lane on the three courses which could be shot out of sequence and I encountered it at the only point at which I was so keyed up that I could make that error. A truly unfortunate concatenation of circumstances.

Of the thousands of lanes that I've shot it's the first that I've ever shot out of sequence. It's very difficult for me to know exactly what I did but I think I ranged the correct (first) target first, then shot the second, then ranged the first target again and shot it. My only consolation is that I took two beautiful shots, and I'd rather that than choke off on two dinks.

The targets I missed over the three days were just insane, mostly in my first two lanes of each day where I was so nervous I could hardly hold the faceplate. The target I missed in my 49 on Sunday was a 32 yard full sized kneeler! (Just for the record John missed that too, he also seemed to do most of his missing on easier targets.)

It's going to be very difficult for me to get this out of my system, I really poured all of myself into this and I feel such a fool. I've had one or two people suggest to me in the past that I shoot like a machine; oh that this were the case! I'm all too human, my nervousness and depth and variation of emotion around a course (and my need to pee every 5 minutes!) are as great a challenge as the targets, in fact they are the real obstacle.

While I love the sport right now it's difficult for me to consider ever putting myself through such torment again. Though maybe I need to go to one more Worlds as I've never gone a turn out before either.

Thanks to the Welsh team who between them saved me from temptation by ensuring that no spare beer was available in our particular part of South Bavaria, particular thanks to Berty for keeping me half sane through the shoots. Also great to see Conor again and meet his Irish team mates.

I've now come second in the last two world championships I've attended and shared a room with the winner on each occasion - how weird is that? I've been close in every possible respect.

After our long trip through Germany and Holland and drive up from Harwich John is now on the road back to the North-East, I wish him a safe journey and look forward to seeing him again. The lad is as sound as he appears and he's provided the ultimate confirmation of his skill. I salute him.
I personally know what this type of thing feels like. You have to start shooting again very soon and try and get it away from your thoughts.

Congratulations with your effort there.

Best Regards.
You can never shoot enough pellets
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:27 PM
Default Honest True Gent of FT

Hi Simon, felt for you on Sunday mate. Gutted.
Someone with less integrity may have just claimed 2 hits ( were your marshals watching?????)but you,as a true HONEST FT TOP shot, played by the rules.
We APPLAUD you Simon for being an honest contestant and not wanting to win at ALL costs.
Get your arse down to Kent on Sunday for the Kent Open and up to Weston Park on the following weekend and put it behind you.
Next time, share with me !!!!! Or Craig??
Best regards
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:41 PM
I like Feinwerkbau's
Member of: Tawd Vale FT&ARC

What Simon has neglected to mention is that until he admitted his error was that his shooting partners had failed to notice his mistake! in all honesty how many would have owned up to that with the stakes involved? A true sportsman indeed. He also gave me Invaluable advice on the zero range at the end of day one after a set up error made me miss virtually every mini kill between 8 and 25 meters. Simon you are a credit to the sport and a true gentleman.
2012 BFTA B grade Champion
Tawd Vale Field Target and Air Rifle club
Proud to be the home of British and World Champions
Support the growth of Field Target in your NorthWest clubs.
This aint a dry run, if you dont do it now you wont get another chance!
Old 3rd September 2013, 11:31 PM
Daystate's whipping boy
Member of: Tawd Vale FT & ARC

Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
What Simon has neglected to mention is that until he admitted his error was that his shooting partners had failed to notice his mistake! in all honesty how many would have owned up to that with the stakes involved? A true sportsman indeed. He also gave me Invaluable advice on the zero range at the end of day one after a set up error made me miss virtually every mini kill between 8 and 25 meters. Simon you are a credit to the sport and a true gentleman.

I have no idea how gutted you must have been Simon but you truly are a credit to the sport.

Put it behind you and remember that there is always next year I imagine after this bit of bad luck you will have a lot of people hoping you win it!
My silence is not weakness, but the beginning of my revenge.
Old 4th September 2013, 08:14 AM
Judge Diva
Member of: Nelson FTC
Default True gent and a good friend...

You know I like to have a laugh wind you up etc etc..

This is what gets me around a course as you know as we spent 3 days along side each other in our lanes...

Your a what I class as a good friend and you shot out of your skin throughout the wolds...

We discussed about me having a break from the sport for my own reasons and as you said having a break makes you really hungry at shoots that you attend.

Don't let what happened on that last lane beat you up and have a little break and get back to your mind set that you've always had...

I could see how hard you were trying for the last 6-8 lanes on Sunday bud and that's why I didn't come over and wind you up etc... Maybe I should have now as it seemed to calm you down a bit on each lane.. Remember those new SPECIAL trousers you want to buy mind hahaaaa

Keep in touch as well over the winter bud...

Hopefully catch you at Newbury and share a beer on the Saturday night.....

Mark Bassett
Old 4th September 2013, 09:35 AM
Independent FT Pumper
Member of: EFTA England
Thumbs up

Written by a true gent of the sport, only man ever to send me emails of how to dry my @rse the correct way with a towel with the intention of it helping me hit more standers.

Class shooter Mr Ayres
Zenith EV2 No1 + Leup Comp x 40
CEO Tool's Tours plc
Twitter @Toolzenith
Old 4th September 2013, 10:57 AM
Member of: Kent Woodsmen FTC
Default Always the Bridesmaid..??

Honestly Simon, some people will do ANYTHING to keep up (or in your case should it be down, a reputation!)

It's SO tough at the top; usually with 1 or 2 targets out of 150 covering the top 5 or more shooters! Not usually a religious man I remember saying a little prayer on day 2 back in 2004, calling on divine intervention to get me across the line, as the thing was just so dam hard and I doubted that if I didn't win it then, whether I would ever be able to - thank God it worked for me that time! Also, I'm personally grateful you trumped my error of going a turn out at least once each day :-/

The point is all you can do is put yourself in the position and then trust to luck or a higher power for the rest. If it was all about form for example, then Calps would've walked it this year. Either you or John would've been worthy champions and you are both brilliant adverts for our sport and personalities that the sponsors can get behind.

You are a great shooter mate and for my money one of the most naturally gifted in the game; your time will come bud. Besides John hasn't got a wife, mortgage or two kids yet! Let's see where he is in 10 years time!