Shooting the breeze Best fittings sponsors UKAHFT  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 31st August 2013, 07:19 PM
Member of: Redfearns & the UBC

Originally Posted by tugg View Post
yes even if those 2 bolts are done up , thats why I gave up shooting mine with a mtc connect.
Done up correctly. If they're assembled right they're solid. Mine never moved in five years as my main FT rifle. Got me from C to AA in that time.

Not to say you can't get movement though, if the action is not assembled in the correct order or if there's some crud in between the mating faces. From memory, if you tighten up the barrel screw while the action is split, the barrel may be a shade too far back which causes problems.
Old 1st September 2013, 11:00 PM
itchy trigger finger
Member of: springfield and mad

I stripped my ar20 tonight as it was shooting on the hot side(occasionally on the wrong side of 800fps .the action does not split front to back but more like a cover to gain acces to the cocking internals trigger sears and hammer.I decided to leave the anti tamper intact but took a bit of meat off the hammer spring guide.I'm not sure if this guide was a modification to increase the power made by a previous owner or an original part but I shot it over the chrono without it but was only making 720fps . also polished the spring and hammer . Its now shooting between 789 the low and 795 the highest with unweighed aa 8.4's .I'll check it again tomorrow and see what it does when it goes off the reg .
Old 2nd September 2013, 02:53 PM
Member of: Bolton Gun Club

HeyPeter and everyone else.

I have owned an AR20 and found it very reliable, very accurate, very consistent, and heavy and unbalanced

The one I owned had been worked on by ukneil and its previous owner. Shroud removed and internals cleaned up and polished etc.

Never used it in comps though as my eyes ain't good enough following a serious problem with them.

It did beat the steers at my range/club over the chrono for consistency, and the steyer shooters also shot it and remarked at how crisp the trigger was.

Would I use one if I was a comp shooter?
Yes at club level, but no if I was ascending the ranks.
Given a choice if I was budget restricted I would choose the AR hands down, but I feel confidence in your equipment is vital and due to the constant rubbishing these rifles get on forums and at clubs I feel that it would interfere with my confidence in the gun.