Shooting the breeze FT Review  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 12th August 2013, 07:12 AM
Default Scope heigth ratio

I have a few questions about the height of the telescopic sight nount (scope axis to barrel axis).
I know that higher it is the more long ranges shooting will be easier (flatter trajectory and less clicks) but for the short ranges the trajectory will be less flat.

I also know that the adaptation of the gun to the shooter morphology is very important. Normally over the shooter is tall over the scope height should be important.

Today I'm shooting with 65 mm and I'm 1.86m tall
and I think is too low. ( not sure) I think 90mm will be better for me but i'm afraid that's introdiuse to much canting error.

I'd like to know what is the scope height that you use and how munch you'r tall or to be less indiscreet ( intrusive ) what is your body size/ scope height ratio

For me it's 1860/65 = 28.6

Thank you in advance

Last edited by flyfisher; 12th August 2013 at 08:28 AM.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12th August 2013, 08:08 AM

I don't think hight is relevant as you could be 2meters tall with a short neck or 1.5 with a long neck
Gun fit is importent and eye to scope should be nateral when shouldering the gun
If you want a higher scope to aid you at the longer rangers the butt will have to be droped lower
in the shoulder and the cheek piece raised.
The best way forewards is to see your club coach but it will be a compromise
Canting with a high scope can be a problem that is easly solved with a spirit level
Hope this helps

Old 15th August 2013, 04:16 PM
Member of: carisbrooke rangers
Default Over

Over the years i have gone as high as 6 inches above the line of flight . but in the end settled for three and a half inches . seems to be the best compromise ??? HOLLY
" Be your self , everybody else is taken "
Old 15th August 2013, 04:21 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Setup really depends on your position rather than the body or rifle itself.

I set up the rifle without a cheekpiece, so it's naturally pointing level in the sitting position, getting the butt plate right. Then I put the cheekpiece in position so my head rests naturally without cranking over. Then I put the scope to the height which matches that. I use risers to make up the height then have a rail made to match.

For kneeling and standing you will probably find a rifle needs to be refitted to be optimum, which means you either need a stock that adapts or accept a compromise on those positions. 3 position shooters change everything for prone, kneeling and standing. The limiting factor for us is not being able to move the scope around for each position.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Old 15th August 2013, 07:19 PM
Member of: Harriers

In spite of the ancient myth, the height of the rifle scope doesn't mean more sensitivity for canting errors.
Detailed theoretical explanations and shooting test results:

Well said that use a bubble against canting errors, scope height has nothing to do with them.
The Updated BFTA Manuals Maestro Design FT Accessories
Old 15th August 2013, 09:18 PM

A real critical dimension is the distance between the line of sight and the base of your stock. The exact height of the scope above the line of sight is, from a gun fit perspective, perhaps less critical.

If you have a 2.5 inch scope/barrel offset JSB exact at about 11.2 ft lb require one 1/4 MOA click per yard from 38 to 54 yards - which is quite nice.

Go any higher and a scope with 1/4 MOA clicks will result in aliasing of the rangefinding; ie your ranging will likely be more resolute than your ability to compensate the POI. Range to the yard at 50 yards but with a 4 or 5 inch scope height each 1/4 MOA click will be worth 1.5 yards. To go with a higher scope than 2.5 inches I would personally want a scope with 1/8 MOA clicks.

Ultimately you have to set the gun up so that you are comfortable and stable across a wide range of positions. This could entail a scope height anywhere from 2 to 5 inches above the barrel. Extremely high scopes can cause some difficulty at very close range and can increase the risk of hitting objects well below the line of sight; there were some very steep downhill targets at the Italian world championships which were very difficult to take without hitting the ground just 4 or 5 yards from the firing line. A very high sight line just made this more difficult.

There is no right or wrong just swings and roundabouts, there are very good shooters who use very different set ups!