Shooting the breeze FT Review  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 8th July 2013, 03:30 PM
Default Hawke Panorama 3-9x40 ao half mildot

Hey everybody

How good is the Hawke Panorama 3-9x40 ao half mildot for hft? I want to try something with a smaller objective for hft for my s400 (I currently have an Hawke sport hd 4-12x50).
The Panorama falls quite perfectly into my budget and the scope looks to me like it could be worth buying.
What is your opinion? Is there other scopes that I need to take into account?
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 8th July 2013, 05:56 PM
Member of: Redfearn FTC

I have the 4-12x40AO 1/2 Mildot.

Its nice, not amazing but certainly not rubbish for the money. It fits fine on a S400 with low Sportsmatch mounts.

The ret is lovely and crisp, I've not used it for bracketing, the mildots seem to be true @ 9.5 mag ish. It does have a very wide field of view, a bit blurry at the edges, nice in the ret area.

If you get the sunshade, prepare for a battle to get the dress ring off the scope, it was uber tight on mine and took a lot of persuading to remove to allow the sunshade to go on.

Can't see any reason to get the 3-9x40 over the 4-12x40.

The flip ups aren't the best, but they were free! The front one is too big if you put the sunshade on though.
Old 8th July 2013, 07:53 PM
Steyr Convert
Member of: Emley Moor FTC

I would agree with the above in everyway, but one thing that you might not expect is how bright they are.

Very clean image but with a slight blurring at the edges. The glass and ret is good enough to forgive this though for the money.

I have a TAC 30 10x42 as well and there is nota lot in it apart from the image is a bit better across the whole glass on the TAC 30. The panorama is slightly brighter though which is saying a lot, as the TAC 30 is bright.

If you want an all round lighter scope they are very good. But if you are only doing HFT and don't mind the extra weight and big turrets, go TAC 30.