Shooting the breeze Greyhound Gun Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 25th June 2013, 07:29 PM
Member of: JGARC
Default Help req. setting up HFT rifle

I've always wondered how the top shots go about setting up their rifles.

So far I've gotten a nice sharp reticle at infinity, parallaxed at 23yds and zeroed at 35yds.

Pellet on pellet at 35yds, and everything's going fine so far.

However, I'm struggling to get a cheek piece height that will work across all three positions. At the moment i can barely get my head into position on my standers and kneelers, because its almost too high. But when I switch to prone, the cheek piece is nowhere near high enough (it's not even touching).

Where am I going wrong?
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 25th June 2013, 08:48 PM

It's near on impossible to get one cheekpiece setting to suit all three positions and the variation within those positions. My own personal preference is extreme height so each postion is slightly forced but ensures correct wye position 99% of the time, rather than shooting with my head upright its almost leant sideways. It's not something that many find comfortable and most who try can't even see through my scope For prone shots I lay virtually 90 degrees to the target, with kneelers the gun is set to sit slightly low in my shoulder and much the same for standers. So far its the best compromise I've found that suits my style of shooting
Old 25th June 2013, 10:46 PM
Steyr Convert
Member of: Emley Moor FTC

I set mine up fairly low but comfortable for standing and kneeling. On prone shots I just don't think about it, although sometimes in an awkward prone position I hardly touch the cheek piece.
Old 26th June 2013, 11:33 AM
Member of: JGARC

That's interesting thanks for the replies, guys!
Old 26th June 2013, 08:04 PM

I think you also have to consider that the vast majority of shots are prone so setting it up for prone shooting is one train of thought.

Standing shots are the most difficult, setting the rifle up for them which will pretty much set it up for kneelers too is another train of thought...
Feinwerkbau 800 X (Jon Harris) - MTC Viper Connect SL 3-12x24
Experience is the teacher of all things - Julius Caesar
Old 27th June 2013, 08:36 AM
Member of: Kibworth

I'm set up with the butt plate roughly right/tiny bit low for kneeling. Cheek piece is high and pretty much unusable by anyone else but perfect for all 3 positions, there isn't much difference between them. Stock length and trigger reach is all set for natural comfort. Hamster is quite shallow compared to the modern trend.