Shooting the breeze Christchurch Gun Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 2nd May 2013, 05:33 PM
Member of: harriers field target
Default shooting glove

i have already asked a trusted friend about this subject, but want to know what others feel.
do you get any benefit from using a target shooting glove, and how if the answer is yes. also the question of fit, tight, comfortable, loose.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 2nd May 2013, 07:32 PM
Allowed in Sales
Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

For me, most definately yes!

Well for lots of reasons :-

First and foremost I find it gives me more options for a stable hold, especially for kneeling shots, but also for standers too. A stiff glove means I can support the rifle comfortably on my knuckles or fingertips. For prone shooting when hunting or HFTing, I can make a fist and rest my rifle on my fist and the glove becomes a low bipod. For HFTing it helps as a stable and grippy rest when taking a supported stander or kneeler and also gives more hold options on the peg.

For sitters in FT it helps as both a grippy support around my leading knee and also as a comfortable pulse isolating rest for the forend of my rifle.

For a recoiling rifle again it helps to provide a soft supporting surface that is stable and absorbs some of the recoil.

For heavy rifles it helps to stop bruising caused by extended periods of practice.

Take a walk round a shooting event and have a look at how many people use them - its not just a fashion accessory

As to fit - they all loosen up after a short while, I'd say go for a comfortable fit, loose doesnt really matter, it's the stiffness and grippiness of the glove that matters.

What did your trusted friend say?
Old 2nd May 2013, 07:38 PM
Member of: carisbrooke rangers
Default Good

A glove is good , but is does not have to be a proper shooting glove . i cannot stand the sweatyness of the big gloves . so i use a good quality pair of leather glove's with the fingers that i need to use the sidewheel and load pellets cut off . in the summer i only use one , in the winter two . stop's you hand from getting to dirty when getting up as well . cheaper too . luck HOLLY
" Be your self , everybody else is taken "
Old 2nd May 2013, 08:08 PM
Steyr Convert
Member of: Emley Moor FTC

Definate yes from me too!

I have used a couple of different ones, and struggled with a verystiff Shulz one with the table tennis bat dimpled material(it was know by my friends as the claw), and now use a Sauer glove. Just don't wipe your nose with the grippy bit!!

I find that a glove totally dampens your pulse, and just for grip on HFT pegs and trees it is excellent. I did recently get to the first peg recently and realised my glove was in the car. I slipped down a tree and scored a zero without the glove.
When shooting in the recoiling champs at Anston recently, I found that the glove allowed me to change position with little or no difference in POI with my Pro sport, that is much more difficult without a glove as it is sometimes hold and position sensitive .
I don't always hunt with one but I then I usually use barbour neoprene gloves to keep the monster sized mossies away, as I usually shoot near peat moors.
As Brian mentioned they have to be a good fit and comfortable. I tried on six or seven and couldn't get one that felt right, I bought my Sauer via post and it was perfect!

Last edited by DEAN C.; 2nd May 2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 7th May 2013, 09:50 AM
Member of: harriers field target
Default thanks

thank you all for the comments left, many thanks.