Shooting the breeze Greyhound Gun Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 25th April 2013, 05:56 PM
Member of: Castle

I have a quesrtion is there a WRITTEN rule not ear say that a team member can or cannot shoot open class?
Old 25th April 2013, 06:05 PM
Member of: Harriers

Hi Mr P,

there is no written rule.

However, I think it would be widely agreed that team scores should come from shooters in the graded classes.

Old 25th April 2013, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by RobF View Post
When you do make sure you define flat so that each lane can be checked to a specification then. As well as levels on the rifles people can then check the firing points.

Ft is a game for everyone as much as it can. It's hardly a tour de force to have a gentle incline. If weight is the issue why do heavier shooters score better? Why do older shooters score better?

Perhaps it shouldn't be called ft. Should be called fft, not designed to be a shooting competition, just a competition for those that can shoot down hill.

Weight is something that can be done about. For the cost of an air stripper you can get 6 months gym membership. Same with backs. If your in pain stop. See someone get some advice. But having blown a disc last year (L4/L5) and living with someone who has major back issues I can tell you what most people will be helped by, because that's what the doctors prescribe, exercises to strengthen the back.

I want to be inspired by my betters to shoot better. When I know they are older and heavier but still beating me I want to know what I can do. When I'm beaten by shooters younger or fitter than I sit there and think about what I can do to get closer to them. Not start changing the game to mitigate the gap.

Get it passed. Ill bring the survey tools to check. I suppose this way there's no issue of shooting into banks on low shots either.

There's a big difference between an assault course up the side of a hill like South Devon and a gentle slope at millride. South Devon has flat sections but thats sendible given the slope. But courses like south Dorset don't have them all round. Wendover ground one, doesn't. Newbury doesn't. Most of the grounds I shot in Wales didn't. Germany probably won't.

But if you want to float it I want a strict definition of a flat firing position with method to check and proposed penalty and solution to follow on the day.
Agree with you one 100% Rob. It seems to me some people want the rules adjusted to suit their style of shooting, rather than admit their own weaknesses. If the shape of the terrain is making you lean backwards, thereby causing you discomfort because your stomach muscles are not strong enough to support your lard-*** frame with the style you use, do some exercise to correct it, or adjust your shooting style so that you don't have to lean back as far. Uphill or downhill, elevation changes are the same for everyone, I would agree though that left to right slopes (or vice versa) favour left or right handed shooters depending on the direction, and should be avoided. Please don't change the rules to suit the demands of the minority.
Old 29th April 2013, 02:10 AM
Member of: carisbrooke rangers
Default The minority

The minority you talk about , have paid there ten pounds and showed up to support the shoot . they deserve to be able to do that in some sort of comfort and without pain brought on by a course builder who did not consider them . out of the shooters from SEFTA who shot today at ETL for the mini mayhem . two of them are still carrying injuries in there back's from this GP . this was not from not having strong stomach muscles .this was from sitting down on the bean bag against the slope two many times . i said to them why do you not go onto STB and put your side over . would not make any difference they said . it will just be a sport for the fit shortly . we are just gonna support local GPs in future , that we know are shooter friendly . two down for th GP series . how many more to come . this is not just a sport for the fit . it is a sport for everybody . and it is up to us to make sure that this happens . any good sport has rules that look after everyone . and that means lard arses , the young and the weak as well as the strong and fit . if you gents cannot see that , you are in trouble . ??? HOLLY
PS if we stuff shaun full of burgers till he is the size of pieman . he might see a different side to it .
" Be your self , everybody else is taken "
Old 29th April 2013, 09:04 AM
Member of: Bisley

I also suffer after every GP/OPEN /club event whether on flat or incline i dont ask to change the rules. I think the only thing that is usualy done(not always) is that i dont get to walk the course twice as a good will gesture.
I play because ive found something i can do quite well and for the great people ive met BUT some of you are turning into grumpy old men/women must be the age thing.

How would you suggest that Millride could of changed the HILL we could not of got a flat surface so the club wouldnt of got used ,so narrowing the choices down when the club easily accommodates 150+ shooters. Theres Newbury not flat either shouldnt use that. Seems were going to run out of flat clubs.

My take on the beautiful and frustrating game of field target.

First the course setters want a course to beat the shooter (make it a challenging course that he/she makes mistakes) so use the land accordingly.

Each shooter plays by the rules and tries to beat the course setter. Simple game really

Every sport has those that are fitter than others its lucky this sport doesnt expect us to have that six pack and that be are able to take our normal medication for the normal everyday aches and pains we get. Yes sometimes we aggrivate them by doing things the doctor would tell us to not do.

If i was fitter and my back would hold up i would of taken a different sport but this as much as it gives me some pain is worth it. Im not expecting to change the rules i shall just try my best to compete to the best of my ability and then come back and do it all again.

Old 29th April 2013, 12:25 PM
WFTF World Champion 2012
Member of: Castle
Default terrain

As I posted this thread originally I think its going off on a tangent.
Open class is nothing to do with terrain and lack of thought by the coarse setters. Thats for a different post. The question was why didnt many enter this class at Milride GP and for what reason? I would have expected to see ten at least enter and to give the two that did enter some competition. So will the class attract more or not?? Any body thinking of doing open class at GP 2.
I didn't go to Norway to look at rocks & water youth, I went to shoot.
Avoid Welsh Paparazzi
Old 29th April 2013, 12:52 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Spoke to Tony F at the weekend and I think he's looking to do it as well.

Not sure how many ever were shooting with dispensation at a GP anyway though. From memory there was a 4-5? Helen's not shooting at the moment. Tony wasn't at GP1. Think that leaves Beryl, and the two that did enter it.

From chats i've had over the time it seemed some regions had more shooters using dispensation than others. As far as I know apart from Helen there was only one other shooter in our region that was signed off for a short period following a knee op.
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Old 29th April 2013, 01:27 PM
Member of: NOFTC CRPC

I think that the beauty of Open Class is that it is there to encourage new shooters who might otherwise feel the positionals are too intimidating. It will rely on encouragement across the regions to bring new shooters in to play. It is also an open environment for like minded folk to try different competitions within the competition - all-kneeling, all-standing, sporting, 1minute/lane, etc - if enough like minded folk come together and try something they enjoy then it is open to becoming a new competition category in the normal course of events (i.e. cross-region support, more than a couple wanting to do it :-) )

I thought about it but just because I am rubbish at standers doesn't mean I am prepared to give up on trying and do Open - well not just yet hahaha

It is Open Class - open to ideas and give-it-a-go folk with no impact on Grading.

BFTA Secretary 2012-2014
CSFTA Secretary 2014-2016
Old 29th April 2013, 02:22 PM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Like everything, it's what you make it
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Old 30th April 2013, 11:24 AM
Member of: harriers field target
Smile good point

a good point and well made. the open class could be a shining example of how to attract new shooters to the gp series. last years c grade told a story, and am am assuming that is why the new grading system was introduced. i have to say about the new grading that i am not in favour of it. it just highlighted a fact that c graders didnt want to shoot the gps. i belive that an effort to find out why should have been made rather than mucking about with the grades. the open class can and probally will help attract those new shooters into the national comps, and the sport will be all the better for it. the open class is here to stay and we should embrace it, it will take time but then what doesnt.