Shooting the breeze Doncaster Airgun Range/  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 5th April 2013, 02:03 PM
Red Dwarf
Member of: Grampian arc

Negotiating the mine field of scope choice can be a headache,try having a look through guys scopes mtc viper seems to have a good rep for the price,I use a light stream 4.5-14x44 and have a eb sniper and I'm torn between them both but the optics in the light stream are winning at the moment,don't make the mistake of buying something that doesn't suit you.

Walther Lg400 Red/Nightforce nxs 2.5-10x24 mil compact/Mick Troman Reg mod/floated barrel/Rog stripper/Tec Hro carbon cheek piece/carbon fibre forend...

Walther Lg300 dominator/Dutton tune/custom laminate stock/mec 3/Sightron s111 10-42

2014/15/16 Scottish Team
Old 5th April 2013, 02:46 PM
Allowed in Sales
Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

Practically any scope can be used for HFT - something around 8-10 mag will work best.

To illustrate a point - I've witnessed UKAHFT national events won by scopes that most people (including me) would say aren't really a suitable scope for HFT. As an example back in 2006 I think - Andy Calpin won the UKA event at Lincs using an FT scope - Tasco Customshop 10-60x60 with high mounts and an ordinary ret I think. He shot on 10x mag but high mounts and 60mm objective lenses is something most people would advise against.

I've also witnessed someone clearing a UKA national course with a 20x mag scope.

The point being - it's down to the shooter, not the scope.

If you're new to HFT - my suggestion would be use whatever you've got - try to set the parallax to around 25 yards and your mag to around 9x-10x if you can to give you the best chance.

Instead of buying a scope and spending time setting it up, invest that time into accurately recording and learning your holdovers. Use some of the money you've saved by not buying a scope to buy pellets and spend time perfecting your technique - trigger, breathing, follow-through.

Once you've shot your first HFT comp, look back on it and try to figure out the main reason for dropping points - and work on fixing those things first.

From my experience the most common reason for dropping points when you first start is not having a gun that's been set up, followed by not knowing your holdovers, followed by poor technique. Sorting those things out will gain you more points than buying a new scope - I guarantee it.

If I were you, I'd take Chris up on his offer - not only is he an excellent shot, he's also a top bloke who will go out of his way to help you out. He might even give you some tips on setting your gun up.

Also have a read of the Novice to Ninja articles -
Old 5th April 2013, 08:14 PM

I was going to write a massive essay, then Brian's pretty much summed everything I was going to say up. as always Brian bang on advice!
Pain is temporary, glory is forever!

Death is God's way of letting you know you failed P. Company.

Old 5th April 2013, 08:18 PM

LOVERLY mtc viper for sale 100 tel bob tarran on 01924-382098 cracking hft scope
check out our new web site
Old 6th April 2013, 05:16 AM
Member of: Redfearns FTC

Bri is spot on with his advice. One of the NEFTA HFT rounds (a few years ago) was won with a 3-9x40 scope with duplex ret. It had cost the owner 25.

He missed 2 shots - one a kneeler and the other a close 15mm reducer because he gave it the 10 yard aimpoint when it was closer to 13 yards. If the shooter had known the rules he would have known the target could not have been closer than 12 yards (NEFTA rule) and the shooter wobbled on the kneeler.

The scope would have cleared the course if the shooter had been up to it - he was the weak link.

He is also right about getting over to Emley and tracking down Chris - he has put more effort into helping new shooters than any other shooter I know and he knows his stuff

Last edited by HotShot; 6th April 2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old 6th April 2013, 10:45 PM
Member of: Redfearns FTC

Originally Posted by paul4be View Post
You will find that things make more sense once you've shot the comp at York.
Just make sure that you've spent a bit of time and got an idea of aim points with your current set up for now.
Give Wayne a kick up the backside and make sure you have targets from 8 to 45 to check with beforehand.

Making the trip to Emley as Chris offered might be useful to get a good basic setup with what you have for now. There are some very experienced HFT comp shooters over there.
Practice course out on Sunday Gavin. I'll take you through it.
Old 6th April 2013, 11:38 PM
Member of: Pontefract

Originally Posted by Wayne65 View Post
Practice course out on Sunday Gavin. I'll take you through it.
Thanks wayne for your help. I am afraid i wont be able to help set the course up as im at scotland till saturday. But will be there bright and early on the sunday.
Old 7th April 2013, 03:43 AM
Member of: JGARC

Scope choice is a very subjective matter. What works well for one person can be an absolute nightmare for someone else. So, I'd reiterate the advice on this thread have a look through as many as you can before deciding for yourself.

What I would say is that regardless of what you end up trying first, invest in a set of good quality mounts. I'd personally recommend Sportsmatch mounts.

Here's what I've found (so far)

MTC Viper 10x 44
I think the MTC Viper 10x 44 is hard to beat for value for money (which is probably why you see so many on the HFT circuit).

The SCB reticle is really useful for HFT, especially when it's mounted on a sub 12ftlbs .177, as you'll find that the majority of ranges will fall within the floating crosshair. You only really need to come out of the crosshair for the extremely close/far away shots. The turrets on the Viper are about the best that you'll find on any scope at any price very well thought out indeed!

The Viper is often regarded as an entry level scope, but I know that Chris Cundey has had a lot of success with his, and I also noticed that Richard Woods (Dop) shot a 58 with his during the first day at the Worlds. So for an entry level scope the Viper can certainly hold its own amongst a field of scopes costing many times as much.

Expect to pay 100ish for a good secondhand one.

MTC Viper Connect 3-12x 32
This is a unique scope, as it has very little eye relief, and therefore effectively eliminates parallax error which is a massive advantage in HFT. It's a bit of a Marmite scope, in that shooters either love them or hate them, and there are always plenty of them for sale on the forums.

It's a fantastic hunting scope, thanks to its small size, light weight and massive field of view. It's available with AMD and SCB2 reticles, but personally I find the SCB2 isn't just as practical as the SCB reticle that you'll find on the classic Viper.

If you get a chance, have a look through one of these scopes yourself and make your own mind up.

Expect to pay 200ish for a good secondhand one.

EB Sniper 10x 42
Pete Sparkes (Sparky) swears by his EB Sniper, as do a lot of the top shots. Again you see a lot of these scopes on the HFT circuit. It's a no-frills scope, but the Japanese optics can be exceptionally good on these scopes. I emphasize 'can', because anecdotally at least, there seem to be 'good' and 'bad' EB Snipers out there.

Expect to pay 180ish for a good secondhand one.

Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x 42
This is my scope of choice at the moment. To my eyes, the optical clarity is truly outstanding. I shot my one for the first time at the Worlds, and I was very happy with it as I was able to see every single target clearly (which is something that I haven't always been able to say).

The mil dot reticle isn't as useful as the SCB reticle, but it's better than nothing. Also I find that Bushnells can be bad if the sun is behind you as the reticle 'whites out' and it can be hard to see the sight picture.

All-in-all though, I'm very happy with my Bushy.

The RRP of these scopes is 840, but they can be found new for as little as 425 if you look around. Expect to pay 350 for a good secondhand one.

I hope this is of some help, Fella. But be sure to take the opportunity to look through as many scopes as you can before making your own mind up and most of all enjoy your shooting!

Old 8th April 2013, 11:18 AM
Lucky git
Default reply to this thread you've had

1 x HFT world champ
1 x UKAHFT champ
2 x NEFTA champ
1 x mids hunter champ

Last edited by chrisc; 9th April 2013 at 05:00 AM.
Old 16th April 2013, 04:48 PM
Barn door? Where?
Member of: Cambridge

'spose we'd best wait 'till someone who knows what they're talking about comes along, then