Shooting the breeze Rivers West, Sponsors of UKAHFT  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 20th March 2013, 09:07 AM
My Empire of Dirt
Member of: Southampton Buccaneers, Parkstone, South Dorset

Originally Posted by NJR 100 View Post
My Ft results picking up since switching from express - Exact must be luck then?
not in my head, its all down on paper in the form of "Dons" (groups ) and X's
Or that the pellet just groups better in your barrel.

If scientific, you should be able to quote an exact deviation per mph of wind between them. How much less does it take in per 1 mph Si?
BFTA/NSRA County Coach
CSFTA Chairman/BFTA Rep
Old 20th March 2013, 09:38 AM
Member of: Purley Chase FTC

I use express although they are badged Mosquito Still on my favourite batch for last 4 yr.

The biggest challenge in FT and HFT is calculating the range vs. drop to hit the target. The best way to minimise this challenge is with a flatter lighter pellet which is why I prefer the 7.9gr flavour. After all if it if flying flatter it makes range estimation less critical. Ballistic calculations will prove the 7.9gr pellet will take less wind, but it is only about 10 %.

If you shoot 8.4 gr and know its drop and wind characteristics well why change. If you are starting out go for the lighter pellet and learn that. The exception to that is the 7.3gr Express RS (Falcon Accuracy) which group well out to 45yd then seem to lose momentum and the groups open up. This is even worse with the new generation Tin pellets coming in at around 6gr.

Drop and minimal windage advantage are probably not worth sacrificing accuracy (group size) for but the lighter 7.9 will equal the heavier pellet in most guns.
Make every shot count

Steyr Hunting 5 Scott Lupold 3-9x33EFR(for LSR )

FWB P70/Bushnell 6500 4-30x50T

SteyrLG110/Bushnell 6500 5-30x50

Steyr LG 100 FT Bush elliot 8-32x40
Old 20th March 2013, 01:18 PM
WFTF World Champion 2010
Member of: Villarrubio FT

I am very lucky, evo, gp and steyrs..all my airguns likes all jsb pellets, both exacts and express. I tested the express in a calm day and the groups were better than with the exacts, but it is too dificult to find a good day with calm wind here, and with light wind the exact has more stable path, the express are a little erratic, sometimes the pellets move with the light wind, sometimes they went straight ahead..
With strong wind i think both are similar, with the express moves 1 cmts more with 5 mph than exact, in my gun, but the drop is about 5-7mm less to 50m.
Old 20th March 2013, 03:54 PM

ive recently had problems with pellets. i use exacts in my pcp's because they shoot them the best and expresses in my springer.
i noticed that i was missing some shots that i really should have got, so i did a bit of testing. expresses would group really well for 5 or 6 shots, then i'd get a flyer. i put them over the crono. they would be very consistent, then one would be 30 to 40 fps down. ive put it down to a crap batch and tried air arms fields.
they also shot very well and seem to be more consistent, so ive ended up swapping. i can also feel a difference in the firing cycle of the gun with air arms and expresses. expresses feel better, but dont seem to be as accurate.
Old 21st March 2013, 07:13 AM

Absolutely loads about this all over the net.

Some saying that the lighter 7.9gr does better in the wind and some saying it is worse.

For me in the 77 ... Now this maybe not a fair test as the pellets I used were 8.4gr AA 4.52 ( so basically Exacts ) and 7.9 gr Daystate Li ( so basically Prems ). The Li's were measured and the larger sized ones used as I found these grouped better than the smaller ones up to 35 yards. The Li's were equal to the AA in groupings up to 30 - 35 yards ( very good ).

Zero at 35 yards.

Vertically I'm not seeing a great deal of difference in poi at 45 yards. The 7.9gr are, as you would expect, slightly flatter.

Wind ... 5 to 7 mph breeze l to r ... the 7.9 gr were spraying ... the groups had opened up to over an inch and the centres of the groups were going @ 25mm right. The 8.4 gr kept better groups of about 15 - 18mm and the centres were only 10mm right.

So for me I thought I was best living with a slightly loopier trajectory to 45 yards but getting better groupings and less wind drift.

Just to prove this in real terms I shot about 20 shots at a 40mm kill FT target at 45 yards and aimed just left of centre to allow for the slight wind. 100% kill with the 8.4gr. The 7.9gr gave several misses to the right as the pellets drifted out of the kill.

Loads of threads saying that this is about BC. I found a USA thread showing pics of a guy's results with a TX at 50 yards using Express and Exact and his findings were very similar to mine.

I read other threads that said that the lighter pellets are erratic re wind at low wind speeds but act about the same as the heavier pellets in stronger winds.

Shame really as I'd love to be able to up the speed to 820 which would make those 40 / 45 yarders easier. Andy Mac has kindly given me some Mossies so I will try them to see if they react the same as the 7.9gr Li's.

Last edited by skires; 21st March 2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 21st March 2013, 09:46 AM
Allowed in Sales
Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

Originally Posted by skires View Post
Loads of threads saying that this is about BC. I found a USA thread showing pics of a guy's results with a TX at 50 yards using Express and Exact and his findings were very similar to mine.
I've never been convinced that it is all about the BC personally.

I'm reasonably convinced that knowing the BC of a pellet will give you a fairly accurate model of trajectory, but I'm not so convinced that it's an accurate model for windage.

The reason I have doubts is largely down to anecdotal evidence.

As an example, take the tin disasters, dynamics or whatever they're called. I believe they have a pretty good BC and when I've bothered to test them in the past they've grouped very well. But the slightest breeze and they're all over the shop. That could just be the conditions on the day and I can't say for certain that other pellets wouldn't have performed exactly the same. But I'm not the only person to report this, so that suggests that there's enough of a question mark over the results to at least prompt more scientific investigation.
Old 21st March 2013, 11:27 AM

I use Express in my Steyr LG110 for HFT
they group good enough , 15 mm or less at 45 yards
so if I miss its because of poor ranging or wind correction

Old 22nd March 2013, 04:12 PM
Member of: harriers field target
Default try both

get a tin of both and try them, the only sure fire way to find out which your weapon prefers.
a bit of time and effort spent at the range will reveal all.
Old 22nd March 2013, 11:41 PM
Default 7 TX200's

None of my 7 TX's will group well with the Express pellet. My guns range from 12 to 14 and the Exacts in 8.44 easily half the group size of the Express. Tomorrow I plan to try them once again in a gun that hasn't been out in 5 years. I can't remember if I actually tried them in this gun. I really want them to work, but they seem to have more frequent fliers.
Old 23rd March 2013, 07:23 PM

I would also say that BC/wind susceptibility calculations are not the whole story.

I did try 7.6 grain Bisley long range gold in my Walther. Everything about them looked superb, indoors at 50 yards they were producing groups so small that it was hard to believe, with a mega flat trajectory. In the wind they were a massive waste of time, the groups exploded. In my infinite wisdom I decided to do my main initial field trial at the 2008 world championships......

That pellet in my gun became totally unstable in any decent breeze; all the calculations went out of the window as the things must have been wobbling all over the place sending drag through the roof; the BC doesn't count for much if it's going sideways!

I use Exacts straight from the tin. With a good batch the the groups are great. The paradox is that I need a pellet that will take about 20 per cent more wind as almost all my sideways misses are me giving it too much, I cannot seem to make myself change. The amount of comps I've lost aiming on the edge and hitting right where I aim is just painful.

The best general approach has to be find a pellet that groups and work from there. Don't bother with Bisley LRG though!

Loads of comps have been won with Exacts and Express pellets, it's probably fair comment that you don't really need to look past these alternatives.