Shooting the breeze Christchurch Gun Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 16th March 2013, 10:28 AM
Master Yoda AA FT TEAM
Member of: Tawd Vale AR&FTC
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by skires View Post
I'm sure that this will go down like a bag of sh!te ...

Not the sun shining directly in your eyes behind the target but ...

In cricket we obviously have sight screens that sit just outside the boundary so that the batsmen can see the ball coming out of the bowler's hand. It's usually traditional for
these to be white. At a club where I played we had large white panels for sight screens. Fantastic on a dull day. However, one year, they painted the screens in white gloss. On a sunny day it was unbearable when you were batting with the sun behind you. The sun glared off the white sight screens and they literally blinded you. Following this the screens were painted with a matt very pale blue paint. A lot of clubs do this ( just a hint of blue ). This gives a perfect solution. The red ball can still be seen against the pale blue ... and on very sunny days the pale blue ( matt ) doesn't give the same glare as white.

So why am I talking about cricket again? ... because the rule ( or the norm ) in HFT seems to be to use white painted targets with a black kill. I've had loads of targets where, on a sunny Sunday morning, the sun has been behind me and looking through the scope the target plate is very bright and glaring and having taken the shot I've still got the after burn of the image in my eye for a few minutes.

I've put shoots on in the past and used pale blue matt painted targets and I think they are a better option than white. You can still see the black kill zone but you don't get the glare that a white target gives ( especially if gloss paint used ) with the sun behind the shooter.
Thats a very good idea, a very pale blue matt paint, I will test this out when I get some spare time
Cant Get my Original login to play ball so i'm now using this
Old 16th March 2013, 02:01 PM
Because I`m AWESIME !!
Member of: Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree

Originally Posted by fireblade2 View Post
Thats a very good idea, a very pale blue matt paint, I will test this out when I get some spare time
Hope your not thinking of it for gp3?
BFTA Grading Q's to;
sorry wont answer Bfta q's on forums, Cant keep track of replies etc!
BFTA updates on

REV26 Ostler Ev2 & x45 comp awaiting a Gary Cane Stock!
Beast Priest Ostler Ev2 & x45 prem ret comp in Warren Edwards stock
If you want the best, Ostler is the man
Pump your Fish, Little or Large
MFTA visitors World championship - Arms dealer 97, Awesime 94, Acid Hands 85