Shooting the breeze Air Arms, World Class Air Rifles sponsors the British Field Target Association  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > Hunter / Field Target

Hunter / Field Target Anything metal target related...

Old 18th January 2013, 04:18 PM
novice precisioneer
Member of: Garc
Cool the great debate

So 2013 is upon us and HFT season is right around the corner and I am contemplating parting with some reddies in search of a new scope perhaps. I currently use two scopes and neither of which I can find fault with..the faults lie solely with myself and the schoolboy errors I'm prone to making haste when down (or up) for a shot.

I currently use a HAWKE TAC 30 10x42 and a Falcon Menace 10x42 b20 ret, both cracking scopes and the more I shoot them the more i like them..

the thing is, Im intrigued about the benefits of shooting less than ten mag and have even contemplated going as low as 7x mag with a lesser objective, somewhere in the mid to low 30's (mm).

Be good to hear anyone's opinions and results from changing down, are their gains to be had in slight elimination of parallax issues over the loss of objective size and magnification. Growing up I shot with a standard 30/30 ret and was blessed if I had one capable of 9 times mag at a whopping 40mm and without bragging (much).. I could ping mapping pins off a fence post at 50yards! Now with the HFT and getting used to thinking of all the variables instead of pointing and shooting on instinct (as a laddy the rifle was never out my hand, my old faithful Titan) I find i make the most frustrating bloody errors when i know I should be knocking em down!

BUT.. i pay attention and like to learn, so the question is, whats the formula?

now before the obvious answers, "what works for one person, may not work for next", there's obviously mechanics that do go toward an advantage for the lower mag objective scopes and I've seen, met, am now friends with and witnessed top class shots over my fledgling year on the Scottish HFT circuit doing excellent with the queried setups.. but equally performances have been just as good with the A-typical 10x mag scopes.

So how about a wee poll to see what's what and what people prefer for HFT. ? Any takers.

Any advice greatly received and responded to.

P.s I know ultimately its down to personal preference and (ahem) ability!

Last edited by mav78; 21st January 2013 at 11:19 AM.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 18th January 2013, 05:07 PM
WHFTA Champion 2013
Member of: Dunfermline

Originally Posted by mav78 View Post

P.s I know ultimately its down to personal preference and (ahem) ability!
And practice and homework and practice

A load of people use the Leupold 2.5-8.7x36 Mk4, you could look at that
Old 18th January 2013, 07:22 PM
UKAHFT Champion 2010 & 11
Member of: Rivington Riflemen
Thumbs up

I don't do low mag (use mag to induce some rangefinding blur), and small front ends & higher mag doesn't usually work - however, the connect manages just fine they are a little unusual in mounting, but when you get your head around them, they are fine.
BASC Team England HFT 2010,11,12,13,14,15,16 &17
Old 18th January 2013, 09:48 PM
Member of: tondu /quarry

I am currently trying out the Menace 4-14x44 FFP with the b20 ret on 8 mag. I am liking it more the more I use it. optics are really good for the money
Old 20th January 2013, 08:32 AM
novice precisioneer
Cool cheers, pondering on

cheers for the advice guys and thanks for the heads up on the leup, after some further research and looking into things I'm starting to question now that it ain't necessarily the magnification ability of the scope or the size of the objective, although both are critical too depending on need.

it seems that the actual issue of parallax error is more akin to the size of the exit pupil within the scope and obviously this then is solely dependent on the shooter ensuring head position is perfect each time.

So my Hawke and Falcon are both fixed mags at 10x and both with 42mm Objectives thus providing 4.2mm of Exit pupil.

The Leups and and Bushnell's etc which are lesser diameter and lesser mag, i.e 8.7x36 (full magnification setting) are 4.13mm Exit Pupil, so on paper this isnt a massive difference.

BUT.. lower mag as I've experienced first hand does provide a steadier sight picture and therefore less apparent wobble from the shooter which has to be a boost, in combination of excellent lenses and light transmission of the high end scopes.

Where do I head from here, its a conundrum, stick with my Hawke and Falcon etc, as I'm only sacrificing 0.07,, Exit Pupil (its early, Sunday and I'm knackered) or do I bite the bullet and make plans for a lesser scope numerically speaking in terms of magnification to hopefully improve and gain the following..

greater depth of field,
better clarity.
diminished (?) Parallax error, etc etc

even an 8x32 scope gives 4mm exit pupil? Am I barking up the wrong tree or should I stick to what I know. !

Old 20th January 2013, 09:43 AM
Never has been banned from sales
Member of: Nelson & Nomads airgun club

If you can hit drawing pins at 50yrds, stick with what you know!
He who never made a mistake never learned!
He who never missed never shot!
Old 20th January 2013, 04:39 PM
novice precisioneer
Default touche'

Touche' to that response Conor, but back then as a young lad I had free time and free reign to be out shooting whenever I felt like it with plenty to challenge myself with, as for the pins it was invariably shot always in the classic FT style, it was second nature back then, now with the advent of higher end rifles and scope quality you would think that it should remain easy, trouble is I don't get enough time with the rifle in hand and even though have gained a few excellent rifles, I have been too quick to chop and change for the sake of variety.

As for HFT this year it will be one rifle for all events and one scope setup, my zero is a little different these days too, back then it was 45 yards average zero and all the usual hold unders/overs there and beyond! These days its 25 yad zero and predominantly holdovers out to near enough zero at 17 through to around 32,.. blah blah!

just seeing if there's tips to be had on modern Scope choices and why.

If I can eliminate some variables, Id be going some way to eliminating the school boy errors.. and if I dont well its only my fault,

All the best

Old 21st January 2013, 05:37 PM
novice precisioneer
Default scope recommendation

Any scope recommendations then fellas?
Old 21st January 2013, 06:57 PM
Allowed in Sales
Member of: Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range

Your assumptions about exit pupil size and parallax error aren't correct.

Maximum parallax error doesn't depend on magnification. Objective diameter, focus distance and target distance are the variables in the equation to determine maximum parallax error (magnification isn't a factor).

Having said that, that's the equation for maximum parallax error. The amount of parallax error you will get (upto the maximum) for any given offset will be greater with higher magnification.

Not sure I've explained that very well, but the short answer is lower mag may reduce parallax error, but not for the reason you think it might.
Old 21st January 2013, 07:03 PM
Member of: dunfermline arc, GTSC.
Default scope choice

i'll take the 4 x 40 off the victor and let you try that next time at the club buddy.

advice, debate, hft, poll, scopes