Shooting the breeze Millride Field Target Club  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 15th January 2013, 06:50 PM
Default I need help ... BN or Sightron and why?

I just bought a Falcon T50 for my Steyr, use am giving you is FT, but I hate to discriminate very attenuated gradually to focus correctly and then blurs the same way. This don´t helps in competition and even more when the lighting conditions are not the best, but otherwise seems very good scope for the price.

I decided to change it to a BN or Sightron, which I buy?

Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 15th January 2013, 07:34 PM
old but not so wise
Member of: Millride FTC

The big nikko
Daystate ftr/zelier 6x24x44
Hammerli / leup comp 40x with a jon harris cylinder and a mick tromans brake

Old 15th January 2013, 09:30 PM
Kung Fu Panda
Member of: Emley Moor FTC

sightron is clearer especially on dark targets, has better glass, try both of them side by side and see which you prefer, i had both on one target set at 55 yards that was shaded and dark the nikko brought it in at 3 different ranges, the sightron brought it in the same every time i tried it further more the target was clearer had better definition for the difference in price the sightron is a much better buy, i no longer have any nikkos just 2 sightrons, would have 3 but the wife says no
Old 16th January 2013, 06:37 AM

I had a Big Nikko MK1 which was ok, I had ranging problems in differing temperatures and changed it for a Sightron. It's lighter, brighter, sharper, has a lovely shallow DOF and ranges very well. If I had to knock it, the flip covers are a joke and the milldots are quite large. I now have two Sightrons and won't be going back to a BN.

Steyr LG100
Anschutz 2013 MEC1 .22LR
Miroku 3800 12bore
Rodacciai .410
Old 16th January 2013, 08:16 AM
Member of: Redfearns FTC

How many people are winning FT comps with the Sightron. This is a genuine question as there may be people I don't know about using them in other regions.

I am not a massive fan of the Mk3 Nikko - much prefer the Mk1 or Mk2.

Old 16th January 2013, 08:24 AM

Gibbs is too modest to say for himself; he is the SWEFTA open champion, knocking down the highest gross number of targets in the season.

I've had a pretty good look through his Sightron and it is very impressive. We had a stand at a countryman's fair, and we had placed some have-a-go targets amongst trees and ferns. I began with the scope totally out of focus and as I brought it in, the ferns just optically jumped into view.

Got rid of my BN some years ago in favour of a T35 fixed focus; if I change my scope it will be for a Sightron.
Old 16th January 2013, 08:58 AM
I like Feinwerkbau's
Member of: Tawd Vale FT&ARC

OK I'm not the best FT shooter by a good margin but I'm lucky enough to have a March X80 and a Mk3 Nikko.
I've had the Nikko around three years and the March about 12 months and to be totally honest although the image through the March is stunning I find the Nikko far easier to use and especially range find with. With the March I've found you have to be VERY careful ranging targets over 45 yards as its easy to get it wrong. As I've said I'm not one of the super shots and maybe it takes someone like Connor etc to get the best out of the March but for the average Joe the Nikko is all you need. Mine has been totally reliable and has only shifted once as far as I'm aware in 40deg temps. Put a 50 foot Leupold adaptor on it and you have a scope that will range from 7 yards to 55 yards accurately and consistently.
2012 BFTA B grade Champion
Tawd Vale Field Target and Air Rifle club
Proud to be the home of British and World Champions
Support the growth of Field Target in your NorthWest clubs.
This aint a dry run, if you dont do it now you wont get another chance!
Old 16th January 2013, 10:00 AM
WFTF World Champion 2010
Member of: Villarrubio FT

My experience with my two nikkos, the mk2 is more estable with temperatures but not as clear as mk3. Mk3 has problem with high temperatures but ranges better than mk2.
I think sightron is very similar to nikkos but with a better glass. The things that i dont like is the mildot reticule, and the paralax wheel, is not designed for airgun use, with little space from 45 to 50m.
If the cost were similar maybe i choose the sightron.
The best reticule is the lrmoa iluminated..
Old 16th January 2013, 02:58 PM
Because I`m AWESIME !!
Member of: Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree

Having looked through Alec's mk1 Sightron when he first had it a couple or three years ago, i did not think it was worth the money.
That particular scope seemed to offer nothing over a Big Nikko but at the time was twice the price, plus the mill dots were like dinner plates! It range found ok, but no better than a big nikko and from memory, it seemed quite dark to use in a woods

I believe only Alec and Little Kew are using the scopes on the national Gp series and i think both are now using the mk2 version of the sightron.

Have to admit i would like a little play with one of these scopes on a zero rabnge to see how they compare to say the Leupolds, March B.N. etc.
Maybe at Farcoely on feb 10. If i get there for 10, Kev will have finished shooting !!

To the Op, your budget is the deciding factor. I think the sightron is about £1300 new, big nikko £700?
Big Nikko £400 2nd hand, cant say i have seen a sightron 2nd hand for sale but would think about £800??

In which case at £800 i would buy a luepold every time
BFTA Grading Q's to;
sorry wont answer Bfta q's on forums, Cant keep track of replies etc!
BFTA updates on

REV26 Ostler Ev2 & x45 comp awaiting a Gary Cane Stock!
Beast Priest Ostler Ev2 & x45 prem ret comp in Warren Edwards stock
If you want the best, Ostler is the man
Pump your Fish, Little or Large
MFTA visitors World championship - Arms dealer 97, Awesime 94, Acid Hands 85
Old 16th January 2013, 03:43 PM

I have one older Sightron and one new one. The new one has the illuminated MOA2 ret which I think is better than the milldot ret.
The real new price for a Sightron is £1100 and there are reasons you don't see them for sale secondhand!

They are 10 ounces lighter than a BN and there were more than two on last years GP circuit.

The problem with the Leup's is the image is too good and stays in focus more than an FTer would want. This is not a design fault, but a sign of expensive top quality glass. But as I only shoot FT, I quickly sold the Leup that I had.
As for the light transmission through a Sightron, the image is brighter than my own eyesight at 25mag, which I consider excellent and made my BN look like a chinese Tasco.

Steyr LG100
Anschutz 2013 MEC1 .22LR
Miroku 3800 12bore
Rodacciai .410