Shooting the breeze Dowry Hill FTC  
Go Back   Shooting the breeze > The Chat > General Airgun Chat

General Airgun Chat Chat and banter that doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old 8th December 2012, 09:54 PM
Default Still trying to get a plan.

I'm off to Treetops tomorrow for a bit of HFT (or something) with a hired AA S400.

I'm still trying to workout what gun I may want to buy. I know you should try before you buy, but I've tried all the top guns in my local shop, Daystate's, Air Arms, Steyr's and a HW100. These are all top guns I know, but non of them feel right in my hands, accept, maybe the Daystate MK4.

I'm a time served cabinet maker, of some time ago, but my day jobs still demands a full workshop (metal/wood) and full on hand skills. So my plan is to buy a blank and carve my own stock to my own fitment and taste.

So really, I only need to work out what mechanics to buy??? Makes it easier I suppose !!

The AA S400 is, I'm told, a VERY good gun at a very low price. All the other guns I've tried are at least 300 extra (not the HW100). If I were to buy an AA 400 MPR FT and pay somebody good to fit a reg in it, then carve my own stock, would I end up with a really reliable, solid, good fitting gun?

Or am I still better off trying lots of guns? But what am looking for in a gun if it's not 'fitment' and they are all high quality mechanics?

I think I'm going to end up mostly shooting FT, with a bit of HFT on the side.

I'm confused.

Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 8th December 2012, 10:07 PM
Default What part

What part of cwmbran are you from rob
Old 8th December 2012, 10:11 PM

St Dials, just along side Henllys Road.
Old 9th December 2012, 06:35 AM
Boingers forever.
Member of: Far Coley

Firstly, why would you want to reg a MPR FT?. I owned one and it was the most consistent rifle I have ever had at only 3fps spread, against 9fps from my EV2 MK4 and 12fps from my new Steyr 110.

I did have a few mods on mine, FAC length cylinder, UK Neil muzzle flip and a custom stock.
My advice would be (if you bought an MPR) to test it over the chrono before even thinking about getting it regged, if its consistent then leave it, by fitting a reg does not guarantee consistency, and is something else to go wrong.

I fitted the long cylinder on mine in the hope of getting it regged, but it was so accurate and consistent that I didn't bother.

The Pope HW97 V-Mach. Gary Cane Laminate stock. Leupold Competition 40 mag Mildot.
The Smiler. Walther LGU. WE Laminate stock. Leupold Competition.
The Dark Destroyer. TX200 MK3. Leupold Competition 40 mag.
Pro-Sport. Warren Edwards Blue Laminate stock. Bushy 8-32x40.
Old 9th December 2012, 04:32 PM
Default Reg ?

I'll second all of Neil's comments.
been there done that not worth the grief
Old 9th December 2012, 04:42 PM

Thanks to Phil at Treetops today for a great day of shooting and the lone of an MPR FT.

I now know my plan. Buy a standard MPR FT, leave standard but make a custom stock for it so it fits me well.

I'm sorted, just need to start spending now :-(